Humidity Sensor Location in Bathroom

Jim Doolittle

OK. Getting ready to do some wiring and need an idea of where best to locate a one wire humidity sensor. My TEMP08 plug-in for HomeSeer will tell a UPB plug-in to control an exhaust fan using a UPB UFR based upon humidity.

I need to go from 2nd floor to basement where my TEMP08 is. I am working with wires near wall switch so I could go up and then back down but that would be difficult even though I did leave a string for pulling wire (not much room in attic).

Another alternative would be on the wall near where the shower is (opposite wall switch). I already have a portion of the wall removed and have easy access to basement from there.

The real key is to place the sensor where it will best represent the overall humidity in the room and not look obstrusive. So, the other part of my question is what kind of housing should I use? Whote or ivory would be preferrable. The sensor is on a 2"X2" board with RJ12 (?) connectors.

Jim,
I had easy access from the attic so I mounted mine in the exhaust fan where it would get the best "draft" and sample.

Exhaust fan is a light fan combo. I am afraid that heat from light may distor results. I suppose movement of air would if fan were on would also change results. If I make an adjustment for such "offsets", I suppose they wouldn't matter.

Jim,

In case you have a W800 receiver: Why not using the wireless RFXSensor with humidity sensor? You can stick it anywhere on the wall.

Or use an Oregon Scientific humidity sensor and the new RFXCOM X10/Oregon Scientific receiver.

Bert

Jim,

I've got one mounted near the mirror next to my shower. It seems to pick up the correct amount of humidity there. It's mounted inside a regular electrical wall box with a small opening on the front cover to let the humidity and temperature from the room in.

Mitch

moisture in the air (humidity) distributes very quickly (quicker than hot/cold transfer) but will reach higher levels in warmer air . . so somewhere near the top of a wall or ceiling should work best . . in the fan is good, just don't put it above the light and it won't take the brunt of the heat from the bulb . .

I would really hate to buy extra hardware for RF solution at this point so I need to stick with a wired solution. Based upon the replies so far, I think the side of the medicine cabinet near to the ceiling may be good. It would be less conspicuous and I think I can manage to get a wire from it to the open part of the wall and ultimately down into the basement.

If you do want to mount it in the ceiling fan, you will find that the center section of the fan that is under the translucent cover has a metal reflector behind the bulb. You must remove the bulb to have access to the cap nut that will lossen the entire cover.This effectively contains the heat from the bulb inside the center section.

The approx 3 inch area around the light section is open and if you check you will find a nice cavity with the flat inside walls of the can accessible for mounting surface. In most models the removable motor section is a plug in unit and it also has unused flat areas that can be used for mounting.

acdcelectric said:
If you do want to mount it in the ceiling fan, you will find that the center section of the fan that is under the translucent cover has a metal reflector behind the bulb. You must remove the bulb to have access to the cap nut that will lossen the entire cover.This effectively contains the heat from the bulb inside the center section.

The approx 3 inch area around the light section is open and if you check you will find a nice cavity with the flat inside walls of the can accessible for mounting surface. In most models the removable motor section is a plug in unit and it also has unused flat areas that can be used for mounting.
I will take a look at the fan and see if it may still be a viable location. Then it will come down to ease of wiring because I think alongside cabinet or within fan would do a good job of hiding sensor.

Back