I'm going in

MrGibbage

I am placing my order for the ELK M1G SYS4 & the M1XSP module. I am going to pick up some of the icon switches as well. Do I need anything else to get started with home automation? It's a new construction home, and I made sure they ran neutrals to all of the swiches.

Skip

Excellent choice. You will need the serial powerlinc (2414s I think it is) to link Insteon to the serial expander.

Personally I chose the full version switches for internal switches. I used Icon;s for the garage and such. Matter of preference, but I found the light bar much more appealing. The way the Icon status lights work is actually a little confusing in my opinion.

Mike; You mean the LED on when the switch is off [I have relay versions]?
Maybe Smarthome thought it should be on so you can find it in the Dark?

If you are still in the stud stage and can run wire, run lots of CAT5 to be future proof. Get your whole house audio wires run for the future.

Another option to PLC or RF light switches is hardwired lighting like OnQ, EDT, or Centralite. They are worth a consideration.

SPECIAL NOTE: One of the hottest thefts now is copper wire out of new home construction. Secure your new home as best as possible.

they have arrested several people here in the last few weeks, all for copper thefts!

Interesting replies--thanks. I am having a hard time deciding between the Icons and Switchlinks. This is a long shot, but I am wondering: are any of you HA'ers in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia? Hopefully with one or the other (or both) type(s) installed.

Btw, my house is built. I had a lot of pre-wire carefully installed. I doubt if anyone will be stealing my wiring now. But who knows nowadays?

Skip

MrGibbage said:
Interesting replies--thanks. I am having a hard time deciding between the Icons and Switchlinks. This is a long shot, but I am wondering: are any of you HA'ers in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia? Hopefully with one or the other (or both) type(s) installed.

Btw, my house is built. I had a lot of pre-wire carefully installed. I doubt if anyone will be stealing my wiring now. But who knows nowadays?

Skip
The big difference is in the wattage of the loads to be attached. Icons, as I recall, can handle only up to 300 watts. I thought I saw a recent piece from SH that listed them as only 150 watts, but you can verify this by checking their website.

Standard switchlincs can handle up to 600 watts, and they make a heavy duty version that can handle up to 1000 watts. Note that if you are installing these in multi-switch (mutli gang) wall boxes, SH recommends that you lower the rating of the switch by 200 watts for each switch beside the one you are replacing. That can lower a 600 watt switch to 200 watts, which has always seemed like a lot to me, but it's one of the reasons I installed primarily 1000 watt versions in my house.

The other things to consider are that Switchlincs have a LED light scale for brightness level of the load on the side, while Icons do not. Also, the ramp rate for Switchlincs is adjustable, and it allegedly is not for Icons (although some have reporting adjusting it in X10 mode).

Personally, I have each of these switches and find them all acceptable. All of my Switchlincs are out of view, so the LED scale doesn't matter to me. I use Icons for all slave switches, too, because I personally prefer the small, single LED and since slave switches don't have loads attached, the wattage hasn't mattered.

Also, remember to use relay type switches on any fluorescents.

Hope that helps.

The SwitchLincs and Icons do have different load specfications. So you may have to check your total loads. Both have full users manuals on the Smarthome site for download. You could look them over at your leasure.

What about the on/off switches? I see the Icon 2876SBG for $25 and the Insteon Switchlink V2 Relay 2476S for $46. Is there much of a difference between them? I don't realy need any relay switches, because I don't have any flourescent lights, but if I did want one, I think Icon makes one of those too. And what about mixing and matching them? Say, a bunch of Switchlink dimmers, and a bunch of Icon on/off switches? Do they operate differently enough that it would cause confusion? Is there a difference in color, however slight? Or would this just be a bad idea?

Why does the Switchlink On/Off switch have the row of LEDs along the side?
http://www.smarthome.com/2476s.html

Skip

MrGibbage said:
Why does the Switchlink On/Off switch have the row of LEDs along the side?
Well, it doesn't really have a row of LED. AFAIK, it only has two LEDs, on & off. But it does have a row of holes to be visually compatible with your other switches. I guess it is similar to why some people liked the toggle style dimmers, just because they didn't "stick out" visually from the regular toggle switches.

One last question: Why do the on/off power switches cost more than the dimmer switches? I would have intuitively thought the dimmers would cost more.

Skip

MrGibbage said:
One last question: Why do the on/off power switches cost more than the dimmer switches? I would have intuitively thought the dimmers would cost more.

Skip
My GUESS is that SH simply makes fewer of these compared to dimmers, and thus their costs are higher. But who knows??? They cost what they cost, and you'll likely need fewer of them than dimmers, anyway.

Good Luck, and do pay attention to the load ratings on switches. It MATTERS.

Back