info wanted

ex-tech

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum, so first off, hello. Now to my query. I was a 6yr residential electrician and untill recently a 4yr home security technician. Small company so they tanked and sold off to a larger one. I'm very interested in HA and have thought of maybe specializing in a certain area. Home theater is out, I feel there isn't enough clientel for that field in my area. Also the nearest HA company is a minimum 50 miles away. So here lies the problem. I was going to sign up for some CEDIA courses and get certified. Then start a small business for myself. Now should I hold off on the business aspect and just get my certifications or go full on? I know the ultimate decision is mine but I would value some feedback from others.

After reading some back posts and other articles, some think now is not the time to start a business. Others think it's possible with the right planning. At the moment I have some capital to get things going. However, if I wait till times get better, I may not have the money to start up. It would be a home-based business. You know Low overhead and inventory. I also want to have good customer trust without the big expense of a store site. I would use some select products for my area, have product brochures to show and a friendly, simple website. I also feel customer service is more a priority than just being a salesman.

Well thanks for your time, Kyle.

If you are ready to start a business then go for it. I'm not sure I would ask if I should start a business on a public message board. If I did, I'm not sure I'm ready to start a business. This has been asked from time to time on this board and the answers are always the same. One thing to reconsider is the there are many many more people (with money) interested in Home Theater than there are interested in home automation. Most of the HA installers I know all advertise as home audio/theater and then convince the customer that they need the automation. Good luck in what ever you decide.

I agree with Rupp, you should offer both HA and AV. Security and line voltage experience is a huge bonus.

Hanging out a shingle is tough. Have you considered a job with an exisitng company? Perhaps one that is remotely located, e.g. 100 miles away, to expand their coverage, and to give you a job?

remotecentral.com has a forum you should check out

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboar...custom/list.cgi

You're in a good position to install security-based HA systems (Elk, HAI), and lighting control (Lutron Radio Ra2, contact Lutron to get certified).

Good luck with whatever you decide, Kyle. Welcome to CT.

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum, so first off, hello. Now to my query. I was a 6yr residential electrician and untill recently a 4yr home security technician. Small company so they tanked and sold off to a larger one. I'm very interested in HA and have thought of maybe specializing in a certain area. Home theater is out, I feel there isn't enough clientel for that field in my area. Also the nearest HA company is a minimum 50 miles away. So here lies the problem. I was going to sign up for some CEDIA courses and get certified. Then start a small business for myself. Now should I hold off on the business aspect and just get my certifications or go full on? I know the ultimate decision is mine but I would value some feedback from others.

After reading some back posts and other articles, some think now is not the time to start a business. Others think it's possible with the right planning. At the moment I have some capital to get things going. However, if I wait till times get better, I may not have the money to start up. It would be a home-based business. You know Low overhead and inventory. I also want to have good customer trust without the big expense of a store site. I would use some select products for my area, have product brochures to show and a friendly, simple website. I also feel customer service is more a priority than just being a salesman.

Well thanks for your time, Kyle.

Hi Kyle,
Feel free to give me a call for what advice i can offer.
I have been in this business since 1990.
Regards,
Mark Gilmore
http://OmnipotenceSoftware.com
423-745-0026

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say thanks to all. Neurorad, you made a good point going security based. I'm going over the ElkM1 material and I'm in contact with a Lutron Rep. and reps for a few other products.

One other question. I can get Lutron prods. locally. For the other stuff Ineed to go to a dealer or distributor. Just wondering which you guys prefer to deal with dealers or dist. I've also reached out to an ADI distributor.

Thanks again.

Having a local distributor would make life a lot easier, but you may get better deals (and even better service) from one that is remotely located.

There are probably several local distributors that you don't know about - you just need to find them.

What does 'reaching out' to ADI mean? Either they have a local storefront you walk into, or they don't. You fill out the form, shake some hands, and they sell you stuff. Unless you don't have a state Tax ID yet....

Search remotecentral.com forum for a list of 'nationwide' distributors. One of the regular posters there is Fred Harding, an extremely knowledgeable, and helpful, salesman at Capitol Sales, out of the northern midwest. That would be a good one to try.

One of the sponsors of cocoontech is a nationwide distributor - Automated Outlet, out of Dallas/Ft Worth. Super helpful bunch, ask for Brandon Stapp. Let them know you're a pro, for distributor pricing. As a consumer, I've bought a bunch of stuff from them, and never have had a problem. They have a brick and mortar store, too, that serves local pro installers. Brandon, and the owner Martin Custer, are frequent posters on cocoontech as well.

Search your area using google maps for Electronics Distributor. The Lutron rep would prob also be able to provide you with a list of local shops.

CEPro.com has a Distributor section, maybe you can find someone local/remote there:
http://www.cepro.com/topic/C303

Here's a list of distributors from Residential Systems magazine:
http://www.resmagonline.com/article/32728.aspx

One of the sponsors of cocoontech is a nationwide distributor - Automated Outlet, out of Dallas/Ft Worth. Super helpful bunch, ask for Brandon Stapp. Let them know you're a pro, for distributor pricing. As a consumer, I've bought a bunch of stuff from them, and never have had a problem. They have a brick and mortar store, too, that serves local pro installers. Brandon, and the owner Martin Custer, are frequent posters on cocoontech as well.

Thanks for the referral! We are always happy to help!

Sorry, meant to say researching into ADI. (brands of products. That sort of thing) They are the closest to me. I've been to AO before, they have nice stuff. Also thanks for the referrals.

Three words, Reoccurring Monthly Revenue, it is king! Never sell an account.. ever. This can be monitoring, service contracts or maintenance agreements. You also might try setting up an account at ADI and then go to Honeywell to get some package pricing or special pricing on security equipment. If you can get some orders in they can help. Good luck!

Back