Inovelli Z-Wave Switch, Anyone Try This?

BraveSirRobbin

I noticed Amazon sells Inovelli Z-Wave switches for $30, which is incredibly cheaper than most!

Having gone down the Z-Wave path recently, I was looking for something in this price range vs. previously purchased switches for around $50.  They received good reviews on Amazon, and have proven compatibility with HomeSeer (I'm using their Zee device).

What is pretty cool about this switch is that, when using with a three or four way device, you only have to replace ONE switch (therefore you don't have to fork over extra money for a companion switch)!

Does anyone here have any experience with this brand?  I purchased a couple and will report back.

Yea, I saw the same switch.  I ordered two on/off Inovelli switches for testing.  Currently in the process of phasing out my old UPB switches in favor of Zwave switches using the GE/Jasco switches.  The GE/Jasco switches work fine but are a little expensive.

I'll be testing the Inovelli switches for  a few months and will report back with my test results.  I'm curious to find out whether or not I have to replace my old UPB slave switch in order for the Inovelli to work in a 3 way circuit.  Or do I have to replace the slave switch with a standard 3 way switch when implementing the new Inovelli switch.  

In our house it is always a higher priority that all the switches in a group/area match and operate in a like manner than it is to get away with cheaper ones that don't look the same or have matching LEDs or whatever. Different demands from the powers that be I guess.

I also see Amazon has an Inovelli Dual Outlet Outdoor Z-Wave module that looks useful.

Good point Mike.  In my case, I have three, 3-way switches I would like automated.  The switches are in a hallway, garage, and right beside a cabinet (that can't really be seen that well).

Doing the math, in the more expensive case, I would need three each $50 switches plus three each $22 companion switches for a total of $216.

With the Inovelli switches, I would need three each at $30 for a total of $90 (saving $126).  

I could automate four other switches with these savings!

Now, I don't get 'apples to apples' comparison to capabilities (loose fancy led lights on the side of the switches, plus various scene triggering by tap dancing on the switches, etc...).  I think it's worth the experiment though...

Never having used Z-Wave I'm also not up on the advantages (apart from cost) of using wiring to accomplish 3 and 4 way rather than protocol communication as I would with Insteon or UPB so using companion switches of any sort would not be my first instinct. In my house I would assume the answer would be 6 each of Inovelli at $30 each for a total of $180 and link them via programming... unless that is not an option with Z-Wave. I would count that as a good $120 savings over the normal option of 6 X $50 or $300.

While looking at these on Amazon I also started looking over Z-Wave devices in general and I was struck by how many got bad reviews because they don't work with one hub or another or, in the case of sensors, don't report all that reliably. I thought Z-Wave devices were supposed to meet minimum standards of interoperability and quality in order to be certified and licensed?

Hi Mike.  This Z-Wave is a new protocol for me, so I'm going to experiment with these switches to determine range and reliability.  I did note that they were tested/certified to work with HomeSeer.  Not sure about your certification statement.  There is a 'z-wave alliance', but I'd have to look into that to see what they offer in terms of certifications. 

In my case, I don't plan on going over a dozen switches in a two story 2700 sq. ft home (plus all the switches will be on the lower floor), so I'm not to worried about range.

I'll be testing the Inovelli switches for  a few months and will report back with my test results.  I'm curious to find out whether or not I have to replace my old UPB slave switch in order for the Inovelli to work in a 3 way circuit.  Or do I have to replace the slave switch with a standard 3 way switch when implementing the new Inovelli switch.

An update..  I initially had to contact Inovelli tech support via their FB page to get an answer to the above concern.  What I found was that their tech support was really responsive and went out of their way to be helpful.  I'm very satisfied with Inovelli tech support.

The answer to the above question is that the Leviton Master UPB switch 35A00-1 must be replaced by a Inovelli switch but the Leviton Slave UPB 37A00-1 can remain in the circuit.

Just some additional info... The Inovelli switch  will auto start the inclusion process when power is applied.  At which time you have 30 seconds to complete the inclusion process.  There is also a "backup" inclusion process where you press the UP (A) button six times within two seconds to start the inclusion process.  I've tried both processes and had no problems with either.

My own experience with tech support was extremely positive, although they did initially  inform me via FB messenger that the Leviton slaves (37A00-1) would work with the Inovelli switches.  Well, I tried using the Leviton slaves with the Inovelli switches but they worked very erratically. So, I contacted tech support a second time about this issue.  This time they told me that Leviton slaves would NOT work with.  So, I replaced both slave switches in a 4 way circuit with standard (Home Depot) 3 way switches and everything worked fine.

My configuration consists of RPI3's, Aeotec Gen5 Zstick and the Open-Zwave API.

Overall, I am very pleased with the Inovelli product and tech support.

I have used these in my network and the range extender portion works very well.  I have now included my shop which is about 30 yards from my house.  That said, they switch itself does not work.  I can't control the outlet(I didn't buy it for this functionality), but again, the range extension is great.  Their support was EXTREMELY responsive as well. 

Great question! I have no idea why it wouldn't work.  It seemed to Associate, but the command I would send it from the RF installer tool and/or the Omni itself would not turn it on/off.  The folks at Inovelli even sent me another one to try.  No dice... Weird...

bkiedro said:
Great question! I have no idea why it wouldn't work.  It seemed to Associate, but the command I would send it from the RF installer tool and/or the Omni itself would not turn it on/off.  The folks at Inovelli even sent me another one to try.  No dice... Weird...
The source of your problem may be the Omni and/or VRCOP serial interface module.  I have read a lot of threads on various forums concerning the reliability or lack thereof of the VRCOP. I personally would never use a VRCOP to control non Leviton Zwave products.

I have extensively tested the Inovelli products using Open-Zwave API, Open ZwaveControl Panel, a SmartThings hub, a RPI3 using RXTX and even a C# "home grown" application.  I have found the Inovelli products to be thoroughly reliable and have "pulled the trigger" on an initial order of 14 devices to partially replace the UPB devices in my home.

BobS0327 said:
The source of your problem may be the Omni and/or VRCOP serial interface module.  I have read a lot of threads on various forums concerning the reliability or lack thereof of the VRCOP. I personally would never use a VRCOP to control non Leviton Zwave products.

I have extensively tested the Inovelli products using Open-Zwave API, Open ZwaveControl Panel, a SmartThings hub, a RPI3 using RXTX and even a C# "home grown" application.  I have found the Inovelli products to be thoroughly reliable and have "pulled the trigger" on an initial order of 14 devices to partially replace the UPB devices in my home.

Yeah, I had issues with a VRC0P and replaced it.  It works really well now. The issue was with the Vizia RF installer tool as well, so I can't blame it on the VRC0P.  Again, the range extension function has worked flawlessly.

BobS0327 said:

Sometimes,you do not have a choice.  VRC0P is the only zwave controller that both Omni and Elk can talk to.

Besides, the controller is not so bad, not any worse than other controllers that use the old 300 series zwave SoC. I believe that for one ISY still does as well. Mine has been working well for years and supports various non-Leviton devices: two yale locks, one 20A wall socket,a couple of ancient intermatic zwave devices.

The OpenZwave library has a bunch of its own issues.  Two most annoying:  there is no tool to replicate secure devices such as locks to a secondary controller;  when sending a set command to a zwave device the library immediately interrogates the device status to see whether the previous command succeeded.  There was some rationale offered by developers for this sort of behavior (which effectively doubles zwave traffic) that I personally disagree with.

Back