Insteon appliance module and LED puck lights

htsource

Bought a set for this for desk lighting under a shelf, light output is pretty decent but it's acting up when connected to a Insteon 2456S3 appliance module. When the module is off but with the light switch on, I can see the lights flicker quickly every few seconds. I can turn on/off just fine, just the flickering is annoying. I tried turn off load sensing but no difference.

I don't have a lamp module handy, I wonder if it would make a difference. I don't plan on dimming though.

Much appreciate your help.

The ApplianceLinc has a small local control sensing voltage on it and as you found out. Very small loads may flicker or pulse.
You can try adding more loads or a small 4 watt night light on the circuit. Some have tried a resistor with some sucess.
Turning Off the Load Sensing feature. Does not turn off the sensing voltage. It just tells the module to ignore the sensor.

Using a resistor is beyond my knowledge, may have to try a night light but I don't have one handy. Would not like to have the night light to come on though, any other suggestions? Any LED friendly modules yet?

A small transformer (wall wart) plugged into the appliancelinc at the same time will also solve the problem without having to have a night light on.

That did it, have to find one that draws roughly 1W or more of power and no more flickering. I actually have a few of these wall warts that I'm going to throw out, they may come in handy now! Thank you all for your suggestions.

This sounds crazy but at the advice of Smarthome I think I solved this by plugging the module into an extension cord instead of directly in the wall.

I thought someone came up with a fix for this at one point - a bit technical, but opening them up and cutting a resistor or something? Anyone remember that?

I did see a post in the UDI Forums. Where someone had removed some surface mounted resistors to remove the sensing current.

They didn't give deatils as they felt most users would have a problem and maybe do more harm than good.

If there was a different post with details maybe someone here can remember it.

I had this issue when my LED lit christmas tree was plugged into an appliance module this past holiday. It would glow faintly all the time when the module was "off". I solved this by doing the above..taking an old wall wart I had hacked the end off and (after taping up the leads to ensure it was not shorting itself) plugging it into the christmas light string. Anywhere was fine..start or end of string. Just as long as it was on there.

The concept at play here is exactly the same as a pull down resistor, but a decent bit safer for the average joe than sticking a resistor into a household plug socket.

Curious if I had the outletlinc instead of the plugin module, will it still have the auto sense feature?

Back