Insteon LED Colors

Let me just also add that as I continue to purchase switchlincs I will continue to compare them to the ones I already have installed. Hopefully, I'll see this problem go away as Smarthome works to make their switchlincs worthy of high-end housing installations. My own home is a proving ground for this technology both from a functionality as well as an appearance perspective. I'll be able to start Insteon Switchlinc evaluations when my preferred automation controller, HCA, adds Insteon support, which (rumor has it) will sometime this year.

kwilcox said:
Don't get me wrong... I love switchlincs and have a bunch installed. The status LED bar really sets them apart and their built-in adjustment for both default light levels and ramp rates makes them very capable indeed. In fact, I installed a couple in my brother's house over the Christmas holidays...
I also want to make it clear that I did not start this thread to bash Insteon. I like it well enough to to have purchased more than a few Insteon devices. If I don't say critical things about UPB or Z-Wave it's not because I think they are better, I just don't care enough about them to criticize them.

I don't think of Insteon as a DIY product so much as a retrofit friendly product. By paying attention to details like thin form factor and aggressive pricing, it is a lot friendlier for somebody who has to contend with old wiring and doesn't have the luxury of rolling their switch costs into their mortgage. I don't feel comfortable with companies who feel that the new home market is the only thing that matters and that I should pay enough for my switches to ensure that the builder, installer and 8 layers of middle-men all get a healthy markup.

I think it is an important point that the worst thing I can find to say about Insteon this soon after product introduction is that they need tighter QC on a few of the cosmetics and an even more important point that we have people like SmartHomeJohn and SmartLabsMike actively participating in the discussions here.

That said, I am going to keep harping on the details till It's perfect.

It's surprising how noticable the little color differences are. The receptacles in my kitchen are all Leviton, with the exception of the GFIs, which are another brand. And yes, the GFIs are a different shade of white, and are very noticable (I gotta get off my bu** and replace the GFIs).

At one time several years ago when switchlincs were manufactured for Smarthome by Ligholier, Smarthome followed the Leviton color palette. Now that SH has brought some of the manufacturing in house, I don't know if they still do. Lightolier still follows Leviton. OnQ also used to, but that might have changed since they merged with Legrand (who has/had their own colow palettte).

On the topic of LEDs, SH is not alone. Leviton changed the LEDs when they went from V1 to V2 of the green line, and the new LEDs are half the brightness of the old ones. I had to replace a fried V1 unit with a V2 in a 4-gang box. It's so much dimmer, everytime I see it I think that that particular switch is ON.

jlehnert said:
At one time several years ago when switchlincs were manufactured for Smarthome by Ligholier, Smarthome followed the Leviton color palette. Now that SH has brought some of the manufacturing in house, I don't know if they still do.
We do and will continue to match colors. Last I heard and I think I may be been told by one of our Leviton reps, (correct me if someone knows better) Leviton has seven different "whites." :p Makes it tough to color match sometimes.

Upstatemike - Feedback is always appreciated. If we do not know what is wrong we would not be able to fix it and improve the consumer experience.

If I remember correctly Leviton has different plastics in the different lines. So a white in a regular duplex outlet, a decora outlet, a GFCI, a FEDSPEC device, a dimmer etc. may be slightly different since it is a different plastic.

I would imagine it is the same for other mfgs.

I think you are right about different plastics being different colors. I also thought it was due to different factories as well. White, although it sounds easy, is a tough color to match depending on which white it is. :p

SmartLabsMike said:
If we do not know what is wrong we would not be able to fix it and improve the consumer experience.
Just keep paying attention and reading posts here on CocoonTech and you get an eye full! :p

Ok heres a quality problem. I blew out an ICON Relay switch today. I had a static discharge when I went to turn a light off and if fried the switch. I touched towards the bottom of the switch so it went through the seam there or by the "set" button there.

I was just about to order a few more but now I will wait until they make a few improvements. $20 isnt bad for a switch but this one only lasted a week. Oh and the wife was just starting to think it wasnt a bad idea automating the lighting with the M1 and easing up on me for spending hundreds of dollars on Insteon.

I wonder if Smarthome did any ESD testing on these devices? Also I wonder if power surges will affect them to (I have a whole house surge suppresion unit but its not perfect).

Definitely.

I will have to call them tomorrow and see if they stand behind the product. If they dont then I wont buy anymore and might return the ones I havent installed yet. This is a new product for them and they probably still have some kinks to work out.

It like never buy a car the first year its out.

Smarthome's Technical Services department has always corrected my problems. When I blew an ApplianceLinc v2 with a 15 watt under counter flourescent. I was one of the first reporting it; there are more now from what I have read. Anyway the service rep actually asked me to try a few more to see if it was a single failure and said any more you fry I will also replace no questions asked.
Hasn't fixed the problem yet; as far as I know but they are trying. ;)

If they stand behind it fine I will be happy. If i keep blowing switches I wont want the product since its a pain to loose the lights in the room all of a sudden. That and I am getting lazy lately and dont want to keep replacnig the switches even though its an easy task.

Tomorrow I start renovating my bathroom and I bought a few Insteon Dimmers etc for that project to automate the lighting and the exhaust fan (nobody ever turns the fan on). I will have the M1 control both. I am also installing flood sensors under the sinks and eventually may add an electric valve to shut the water down (that will probably be pricey though). If they can make an electic valve for a sprinkler for about $30 why is it hundreds for an electric water shutoff valve?

Automation is great as long as its reliable. The M1 has been rock solid for the 8 months or so I have had it in. If the Insteon is as reliable I will keep adding to it. Technically I will save some electric etc over time (the M1 will shut off unnecessary lights) and add to the Security of the house by varying the light patterns when the system is armed away and its dark out.

Digger,

Our tech support team will gladly replace the switch. If you run into any problems message me in the forum or send me a private message.

As for reliability, one of the many advantages of Insteon-enabled devices is that the more you add to your home, the stronger the Insteon network becomes because every device is a repeater. ;)

Mike,

By reliability I meant that the units continue to function (I am surprised that the one died the way it did). Do you know if they did ESD testing when they designed these? I am surprised that one "zap" knocked the switch out.

I only have (had) 3 installed and they worked perfectly as far as whenever the M1 sent a command they worked. I will eventually need 20 to 30 switches/dimmers and if there are no problems with 3 I am sure that there will never be a problem with missed signals as I continue to add.

I would hate to buy that many to constantly have problems. Its hard to tell since they are such a new product. I am on the fence about buying more now or waiting until they are a little more proven as far as reliability (again not talking about lost signals).

I do like (a lot) that the relays are very very quite. They are actually quieter than a regular old DECORA switch. Also that the M1 can "poll" them is a huge plus. There are a lot of applications I can use them for (once my budget permits).

One product to consider is an all in one Fan Controller and Switch/Dimmer unit. If you could fit that into a single gang unit it would be perfect. Second a duplex switch in a single gang unit.

Mike,

I have 4 Insteon devices installed for about 2 weeks now (a 5th died from a static discharge and will be exchanged shortly). I am finding that the devices do not always respond to commands.

I have rules written in my ELK M1 to turn lights on and off. Some rules say to shut off 3 lights when I am my alarm away etc. Sometimes 2 of the 3 go off and the third doesnt. I also have one switch for a light that is triggered by a motion detector to go on for 2 mins. Sometimes it goes off and other times it doesnt.

It seems that the message is not always getting through. I have an average size house (split level maybe 2000 square feet) and I have the two RF links set up.

I ordered another 6 devices that will be installed this weekend so maybe this will help but I dont think its a problem with distance between devices since they are all within 30 feet of each other (including the alarm panel with the Serial V2 linc (its only 5 feet from the worst offender not working but on a seperate circuit).

Any ideas?

Back