INSTEON SwitchLinc V2 Dimmer is now shipping!

electron

Administrator
Staff member
SmartHome.com announced they are now shipping the eagerly awaited dimmer switch and have them on sale for $59.99.

Key features:
  • Maximum load: 600W
  • Scene Lighting
  • Adjustable Fade Rate
  • Dimmable
  • Brightness Indicator Bar
  • Easy to Install and Set Up
  • SwitchLinc Dimmer's depth is now 1/3 smaller than similar switches
  • SwitchLinc Dimmer is fully INSTEON compatible and X10 ready.
  • You can poll the status of SwitchLinc Dimmer for an instant status report, including brightness level
  • Create Virtual 3 & 4-Way Circuits & Control Other Devices
  • 3- & 4-Way Ready
  • Double Tap
  • Low Voltage/Ceiling Fan Control
  • Power Failure Features
  • 2-Year Warranty
  • Dimensions: 1.78"w x 4.13"h x 1.05"d (front bracket), 1.77"w x 2.68"h x .95"d(main body)
  • Compatible Load Types: Incandescent, low voltage lighting, floodlights, energy saving bulbs,ceiling fan(may hum)
  • Controllable Device Types: Incandescent and inductive loads
INSTEON SwitchLinc V2 Dimmer

On sale... Wow they must be some good switches. Is anyone here using Insteon yet? How is it working out?

Squintz,

Insteon works great. Response is instant (when dealing only with the INSTEON protocol). However, its hard to really give a good observation as all the insteon products I've installed, I've added a X-10 address to each of them so that I can still control and use them with HS. When using the modules with X-10 addresses, there is no real difference to using just standard X-10 devices themselves.

I think once SmartHome releases a working interface and HS has support for the INSTEON protocol, you'll see a lot of people switching to it, but for now you can at least use the modules as X-10 devices with HS.

The Pod

Your sales are always better martin :huh:

It seems like Insteon is just as expensive or if not more expensive than the Z-wave technology I am using now. What are some of the features the Insteon has that Z-wave does not? Does Insteon have two way communication or will you have to poll the devices for status?

It seems like Insteon is just as expensive or if not more expensive than the Z-wave technology I am using now.
Not true, the switches are more, but the plugin modules are less.

Z-Wave requires specific location of each module, INSTEON can be moved without having to remove and re-add the module.

INSTEON works with X-10, Z-Wave does not.

INSTEON switches transmit their local control, Z-Wave must be polled to see it device was controlled locally.

INSTEON plugin modules have passthru outlet (can stack multiple units together), Z-Wave you'll have trouble trying to plug more than one module into an electrical outlet without extension cords.

All INSTEON switches act like transmitter switches (can control other devices from one switch). Z-Wave has a special switch for transmitting, but then doesn't have local load control.

INSTEON switches have interchangable face plates and LEDs, Z-Wave is white or ivory only.

Z-Wave is supported with HS, INSTEON is not unless you give the devices an X-10 address, but then its not using the INSTEON protocol.

These are just some observations I've made in comparing the two types of hardware.

The Pod

One of the big things the z-wave claimed was that their wireless was secure so your neighbor could not control your devices.

Does Insteon have this also?

My z-wave USB controller locks up 3 or 4 times per week. I have to re-start HS to get it to work again so I am getting really frustrated with z-wave.

CFGuy said:
My z-wave USB controller locks up 3 or 4 times per week. I have to re-start HS to get it to work again so I am getting really frustrated with z-wave.
Wow, that is bad! So, it's the Z-Wave controller giving you fits? Looks like its time you wrote a plugin for Insteon! ;)

CFGuy said:
One of the big things the z-wave claimed was that their wireless was secure so your neighbor could not control your devices.

Does Insteon have this also?
Yes, the INSTEON is secure, deivces must be linked together, meaning you have to put the controller in learn mode and then send a signal from the module/device, so unless your neighbor has physical access to a module, they can not control it. Although if you give a device and X-10 address, then you have all the problems related to X-10 and security.

The nice thing about INSTEON is that all modules echo/repeat the signal, where Z-Wave tries to go a direct route. If you neighbor has INSTEON modules, its possible that they will also echo your signals thus increasing your range.

Another thing INSTEON has over Z-Wave is that the dim/ramp rate of turning on a light can be adjusted. Also INSTEON switches can be set to a preset dim meaning each time you turn it on, it goes to that level. Z-Wave wants to remember the last dim setting it was at when it was turned off. Kind of a pain when the last person was watching a movie and had the lights dimmed to 10% and you walk in turning the lights on and expecting to read a book, now you have to adjust the lighting.

The big question is who is going to develop products faster, we've been waiting for almost two years for Z-Wave to come out with a 3-way switch and I still don't see all the devices promised. Have to watch INSTEON for the next 6 months and see what type of rate new devices and modules come out.

The Pod

BraveSirRobbin said:
Looks like its time you wrote a plugin for Insteon! ;)
My understanding is that the developers kit was a first release just to get something out there. There have been a bunch of firmware changes in the modules and the ones originally sent with the first developers kits don't exactly work with the release versions of stuff. I believe SmartHome is trying to get their full line (switchlinc, lamplinc, appliancelinc, keypadlinc, etc.) converted to the INSTEON protocol and working reliably before they work the kinks out of the computer interface. So until they release a computer interface, there isn't much you can write a plugin for. Kind of like when Z-wave came out, I bought modules in Nov 2003 and had to wait until 2004 before they have a computer interface for it. At least with the INSTEON stuff you can use it currently as an X-10 device with HS until the INSTEON interface and plugin become available.

The Pod

(getting on my UPB soapbox for anyone just joining this discussion and considering the options ;) )

Other than slightly lower price, and X10 backwards compatibility, UPB is still a great option. I haven't heard/seen anything else yet to disuade anyone from using UPB.

Allows complete configuration of how each switch works (ramp rates, memory of last use, single/double clicks, etc). VERY reliable, secure, and fast. Link multiple addresses through 1 switch. Great look/feel to switches. No need to poll switches for status.

(Back to your Insteon discussion)

The Pod said:
So until they release a computer interface, there isn't much you can write a plugin for.
I just received word from Smarthome that the PowerLinc V2 computer interface should be out in the next three weeks.

The next items to be released are the ApplianceLinc's and KeypadLinc's.

Back