Insteon USB Controller Module?

Has anyone created a module for the Insteon PowerLinc V2 Controller USB? I saw John's serial controller on the old forums, but didn't see a USB flavored version.

Thanks,
Mike
======================
Hi Mike,

Take a look at the Insteon driver in the files area. It's based on Smarthome's "Device Manager" and it should support both Serial and USB versions. I haven't tested it with USB yet, but I don't see why it shouldn't work. If it doesn't, I'll work with you to correct it.

Thanks,

-John
======================
Hi John,

Thanks that did the trick. I ran into a few issues though, mainly with lights cycling on and off. Restarting the Premise Insteon Service "fixed" it, but this morning I came down to the wreath over fireplace blinking. Any chance you could make your code available?

The other question was how do I get the Insteon Root object to link to a ControlLinc? The release notes said it was supported, so I tried putting the USB Controller in link mode, but couldn't determine how to trigger the linking from the ControlLinc.

Thanks for your help,
Mike
======================
Mike,

Interesting... I had a race-condition early-on that was caused by a rapid cycling of the power state within Premise. I thought I had fixed that. Apparently, it's still there. When the lights blink, do you see the Power State in Premise for that device cycling on and
off? Do you have a scene or scheduled event that might be sending on/off commands to the same device in rapid succession?

The core application used by the Insteon controller still does not allow "electronic linking" when the remote device (like the control linc) is the "master". You need to do the manual tap-tap linking method. Try this:

1. Make sure the PLC is NOT in link mode.
2. Put the ControlLinc in link mode by pressing button "one" until
it beeps and flashes the LED on the ControlLinc.
3. Press and hold the button on the PLC until you hear the
ControlLinc "beep". You should now be linked with the ControlLinc
being a "master".
4. The ControlLinc should show up under InsteonRoot. If not, do
a "detect".

You should also make sure you are running the latest version of the "core application" for the PLC. There's a download core app property under Insteon Root to do that. I've made the current version of the coreapp the default for downloading.

Thanks

John
======================
Hi John.

>> When the lights blink, do you see the Power State in Premise for
>> that device cycling on and off?

Yes. In fact the first time it happened I was in the builder adding LampLincs one by one. After I added each one, I dragged the bound Premise light object into the Watch window. After completed, I next tried to hook up one of my X10 switches by putting the switch into link mode and sending an X10 command through the PLC. I dragged the X10 Unit Code object into the Watch window and set the Power property to On. At this point the light objects in the watch window started cycling on and off about a second between cycles. I have not tried to reproduce.

>> Do you have a scene or scheduled event that might be sending
>> on/off commands to the same device in rapid succession?

I have a scene defined in the schedule to turn the lights on at dusk and a second scene to turn the off. There's no cycling happening that I can find.

Regarding the ControlLinc, as you suspected, I was attempting to link from the PLC to the ControlLinc. I'll follow your instructions below to try the other way around to see if that works.

Thanks,
Mike
======================
So the object that is "cycling" is actually using X10? If so, I think I understand the problem. I didn't put my "race condition" logic in the X10 devices. In retrospect, I probably should have.
======================
In the first instance, that's when the blinking lights started.
However, this morning I didn't do anything specific to get the wreath blinking. It just started. I don't have any scenes or scheduled events happening in the morning so not sure what caused it. I'll see if I can get a reproducible test case. If you could make the source available, I might be able to debug it myself.

Thanks.

Back