Insteon/X10

Mike

I tried removing the APC rack mounted surge strip and the structured wiring UPS (APC as well) and thought I concluded that X10 (with a controller) did not work from there. I'm going to rerun the test though.

I was also playing with the Elk beta for Insteon and that did not appear to work either. That one the APC UPS was running, so I want to rerun the tests again.

Is there anything else I should be testing, or that might contribute?

I know there is a GFCI outlet on that circuit, and after looking further it looks like there are some older style outlets I hadn't noticed (2-prong, but an older style that I don't find anywhere else in the house. I have not cracked open the outlets as they are behind some shelving and haven't gotten into it that deeply yet. House was built in the mid 50's).

Could any of this impact this? I have been able to use X10 elsewhere in the house (although mostly manual and not that often). I've also been able to use Insteon upstairs without any issues (using a controllinc).

I'm going to use an insteon controllinc to test from that circuit as well as another test.

I am real fond of those 18" Powerstip extenders/y-splitters. Often called outlet savers. In most situations, I run 1 end to the UPS & Powerlinc filter and the other to a controller or the such. I have really taken the X10 advice to filter computers and powerstips that run a lot of electronics. This in addition to my active phase coupler/repeater and a V572 or W800 and you are set on X10. Worst case I picked up a cheap X10 signal tester, but have not used it much. I did use a Kill-A-Watt tester to measure the loads on different outlets and mapped the outlets to the circuit box, so when the was a X10 problem, I could eaisly see if phases were involved.

Insteon is just as subseptable to phase issues. At first I even failed to follow the very simple instructions to confirm phase coupling with the SignalLincs. Since I wanted a second table top controller, I bought a second starter kit, which gave me 4 SignalLincs total. After setting up the first two properly, I found the second two were not needed but I used them in remote spots of the house anyways. I also had a rev1.4 Insteon USB controller, and it never worked. After getting my 1.6, Insteon is working real good. (Except my main KeypadLinc won't link to the USB controller, but will to the table top controller on the same circuit.)

Sorry if none of this is any help, but your message seemed like it was a followup to info you posted earlier or something and I am not quite sure what your issues are.

As for GFCI, one of my two SignalLincs is actually bridging my Insteon phases though one of these outlets, I don't think there is a problem with that unless it pops...

Vaughn

I'll find my earlier post. Earlier I noticed I was having problems getting X10 signals out of the circuit where the Elk and other equipment were. I was not that worried as I expected Insteon to work, and was waiting for Elk support.

Early indications seem to be I have Insteon issues as well (from that circuit for some reason). This I did not expect, but I need to run through testing this again, and include the controllinc, etc to make sure it is the circuit (which has been my thought, and that it is not related to the elk for either x10 nor insteon).

I'll be running more tests, but was curious if people had found conditions where Insteon was blocked (which might help), or if there might be other tests that would help isolate the issue.

Ok, made a little progress.

1. I used a controllinc to test that a dimmer upstairs could be controlled from that circuit. It worked reliably (tried a few times).
2. I had tried the x10 controller for a 'all on' (there are still version 1 switchlincs on some lights), no dice.
3. I went through the insteon programming (I have the 1.6 version of the controller, which has the software installed, and I upgraded the second serial controller I had to version 50.xx). The lights flashed three times, then pause 2 sec then 3 again (meaning it read addresses).
4. When I try to turn the lights on/off that part does not seem to work.

I also reset the serial expander to clear anything that was stored (to rule out that I was not testing the right lights or anything like that).

I'm going to try and isolate noise (I'm wondering if a few filterlinc's might be in order).

I'm also going to try and put a signallinc on that circuit (seems to be a better spot).

I'll post more as I learn it.

I remembered I had a phase coupler installed by the dryer and went to remove it. However the current smarthome items reference Insteon compatible, so that does not appear to be the issue.

The other thing I realized that I will test is I had a timer switchlinc in the bathroom, which had a builtin boosterlinc. I am not sure if it was on or not, but I remember seeing something about removing older boosterlincs so I will try that.

I had wondered earlier if it made sense to get more signallincs (especially since I had a few uses for the lamplincs and could use a new controller) but hadn't found any references of anyone needing more than the initial 2.

Since it seems that Insteon is susceptible to some of the earlier x10 type scenarios I'm thinking a couple of FilterLincs may clean things up (but I'm going to try moving the signallinc to that circuit since it just seems to make the most sense).

I had wondered earlier if it made sense to get more signallincs (especially since I had a few uses for the lamplincs and could use a new controller) but hadn't found any references of anyone needing more than the initial 2.

Yes, I think you can find lots of Smarthome documentation stating that you will probably need more than two.

From the Signalic RF manual:

Installing Additional SignaLinc RFs
You can add additional SignaLinc RFs to your INSTEON network to extend its coverage and maximize performance. Simply choose any SignaLinc RF that you have previously installed as the First SignaLinc RF and follow the steps above to confirm that new SignaLinc RFs are communicating with your existing SignaLinc RFs. After the two opposite powerline phases in your home are coupled with at least two SignaLinc RFs, it does not matter which powerline phase you plug additional SignaLinc RFs into.

Understood Martin. I knew the concept was there for it, I meant I hadn't heard of anyone requiring more than the two in practice.

I setup one signallinc on the circuit in question and another one on another line in the basement. I retried controlling this and no dice. I'll play around with it more, and get more signallincs if required.

Mike said:
Understood Martin. I knew the concept was there for it, I meant I hadn't heard of anyone requiring more than the two in practice.

I setup one signallinc on the circuit in question and another one on another line in the basement. I retried controlling this and no dice. I'll play around with it more, and get more signallincs if required.
I have a similar communication issue, but am waiting until I install more switches to see if that actually improves the "mesh network" communication...

Originally trying to communicate with 4 lamplincs...

Just received my mix of 11 switches (dimmers and relays; v2 and icon) today!

Will see what happens then...

If that doesn't improve it, I will probably buy another "starter kit" to get 2 add'l signal lincs...

I have 9 switches installed and a couple of lamplinc's, so that hasn't 'improved my mesh network' to the point of helping.

A bunch of the lights I am trying to control at the moment are on one circuit, so I am going to try and install the opposing signallinc on that circuit (so it is wiring closet to primary lighting). I'm having that circuit split up in the near future but for now it may just make it work (and prove I need more signallincs in the process).

I'll have to go try that now.

Back