Integrated Video, Alarm and Lock Management - A Pipe Dream?

I assume the HAI equipment isn't universal (didn't seem to be mentioned in that context above)... which means it wouldn't work with my Elk panel. I've spent a lot of time researching, installing and setting up my Elk panel - and I'm really just getting started with it. That said, I really don't want a solution that requires me to get a HAI panel for a door strike.

I've got Kwikset Zwave deadbolts now and I really have no issues with them. If there was one thing I would change, it would be that they were hard wired so I didn't have to worry about battery life. I've mentioned in another thread that changing the batteries really isn't a HUGE deal to me for the convenience they provide for me... However, if it were fairly easy for me to implement an electric strike solution that may be more reliable and robust (in terms of physical security) AND I didn't have to deal with the batteries - I'd certainly be interested. I'd be satisfied (possibly more so) if I didn't have a keypad at the front door, and a card reader (or other similar technology) was used instead. Sure, someone could steal my card and gain entry vs. having to enter a code (possibly from memory)... but I am aware of 'secure facilities' that primarily utilize proxy cards.

So what is exactly wrong with HAI example?

Nothing wrong with the HAI example - it looks really good. I don't have a integrators agreement with HAI, but I may have to get one.

And I may also have to eat a little crow - I just learned that Elk M1KAM has a Wiegand interface port, so that will pick up prox readers and keypads. It isn't on the controller and it isn't pretty, but I think it would work for an Elk based system.

I personally find the locks with keypad too industrial looking. My front door has nice bronze handles and the door is locked by a seco-larm electric deadbolt installed inside the door frame. It is hard wired to OP2 and accessed via the keypad that is installed on the side. The deadbolt reports both the door and its own status, and you can do rules based on the user code. I do have zwave locks on the garage and side doors that are not so visible, and they are also integrated with the rest of the system. HAI does not fully implement all functions from the locks but you can get that if you also have a software controller. It will be difficult to find a DIY level HA system that will do everything you want and still be affordable, so the best way would be to use a combination of the hardware and software controllers. The other way is to get a high end system like crestron or control4, it will have all the goodies at a price, but you'll have limited control over it.

This is very useful advice - I agree that locks with keypad are too industrial looking for front doors. So I was going to use an electric strike, but I like the idea of the electric deadbolt better as it allows remote locking. A wiegand-based keypad (or HAI keypad for OPII) could be wall mounted.

I may go for the electric deadbolts and wiegand-based keypads for all the doors (5 in total for this project) as I think that would allow both system arming/disarming and door entry at any door (if anyone has any experience with either the HAI keypad on the OPII or wiegand-based keypads on the Elk, please let me know if this is not the case).

Thanks for the help!

You don't even need a KAM to add a wiegand interfaced device to the M1; each of the the KP, KP2 and KP3 each have a way to directly attach a prox reader; it may not be obvious that it'll accept an external one, but it's just two data wires and the power is already present; you can hook to any wiegand compatible device. In fact, it's the better way as you can't enroll a card/credential from a KAM - you have to know the value to enter it; whereas with a keypad-connected device, you can go to the User Code item in the menus and enter your code or swipe your card, and the M1 will learn it right there - much simpler.

I've also played with devices that use a single wiegand-compatible wireless receiver and wireless keypads so multiple items can be used around the property with a single interface to the M1.

Just keep in mind - the Elk only does wiegand 26, not 37 - so make sure you don't need that extended set; I needed 37 for one of the devices I was working with but it just wasn't an option... leaving me with only one remaining option, which is a wiegand to serial converter attached to an XSP - I'm still pondering that one; haven't decided yet.

Picta, I am intrigued with the seco-larm deadbolt. I really like your thoughts about how to make the electric locks more asthetically appealing. It is a good point. I pulled up the installation manual for this item, and it shows to be only for metal door frames. Can you help me understand how you installed this? Metal door frame or wooden?

It looks like seco-larm updated this model to metal door frames only. :wacko:

http://www.seco-larm...stMenu_1106.pdf

Too bad... and it gets worse as the manual later states "for office-type applications" and this leads me to assume that external doors are not a suitable use case. Most of the door strikes from seco-larm also seem to be for interior use only. I am no door installer, but I think that rules out both technologies for residential exterior doors, leaving us with Mag Locks. These are not the most visually attractive solution for many home owners.

Interestingly, another supplier we use is Rutherford Controls and they sell their 3108 / 3308 Electric Deadbolts, but they make no mention of either interior/exterior applications or metal frames only restrictions. But their suggested applications are
• Storage Containers
• Cabinets
• Access Hatches

No mention of residential doors:

http://www.rutherfor...3308/#story-tab

With the blessing of the moderators, I would like to start a separate topic titled something like "Suitable Electronic Door Lock Technologies for Residential Exterior Doors", as this seem to be a whole separate question from the initial topic of integration of video, alarm and lock management, namely what "electronic locking system is the right one for residential exterior doors".

Back