IP Camera Help

kevinohara80

Hi,

I am pretty new to IP cameras. Right now my needs are simple. I just need a reliable IP camera that I can easily embed the video stream in a web page.

I would like tilt/pan features as well. For the embedding part, I only need a video stream and not full control over the camera.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Do you need night viewing? Price range? Just one camera or multiple?

If it fits in your price range, I've been pretty happy with Panasonic cameras I've tried.

I'd like to stay around $100 or less. Night viewing would be nice but it's not critical. I also only need one camera right now. I am a Mac user so tools that come with the camera should be web based or support Mac.

I am a software developer and I am creating a control panel for my house and want the camera embedded in the page next to my controls.

I recently bought the Edimax IC-3015Wn. No pan or tilt, but does have digital zoom I think. $59.99 a piece. Good value, may or may not meet all your needs though. It has a pretty decent web interface natively, suitable for building your own monitoring page. For what it's worth, I use iCam on Mac and iOS - works great.

I just ordered the Foscam FI8918W. I think it should work for me. Does anyone know if I can embed JUST the video feed in a web page or will I have to iframe in the whole web UI?

I have a similar question. I am looking for a POE IP camera for a front door location. The camera would be located in the upper right corner of the front porch, a few feet away from anyone at the front door. I would prefer something that had a wide angle so it could see the driveway as well.
My problem is I only have a single cat5E run to the location. I think the POE IP camera is the right solution, but I have never used one before so I am not sure.
I would prefer something with as high a resolution as I can get, but I don't want to spend a ton of $$.
I will be using it with a system that consists of an Elk M1 and an ISY99, so if there are brands that work better with those, that would be best. I would prefer it work with an iOS app too, like Mobilinc.
So, what would you recommend? I have looked at the Foscam FI8905E and the Ubiquiti Aircam. Night vision is not critical but would be a bonus.
My goal is something that will enable me to get screen grabs sent to my phone when motion is detected or the doorbell is pressed. Also, want to have it automatically record some video to a server when motion detected.

thanks for any input.

-John

I have an older Optex next to the front door. Over the years I have upgraded the camera board inside of it. The color camera is currently set to black and white and most likely I will go from SD to HD this year with it. The 3.6mm view is OK with it. Moving the camera to HD will be beneficial. I will probably keep the 3.6mm lens in it.

The second two pictures are the Aircam. One with the stock 4.0 mm lens and the other with a 2.5mm lens. I have two of these that have weathered OK this past year. One did well with 70 MPH winds this past summer. I am testing a 3.6mm lens also with the Aircam and like the 2.5mm view better.

I am migrating all of the analog cameras to IP cameras. I am modding the Optex cameras with IP / analog camera boards which will be POE.

Here I am using Zoneminder. The remote functions utilize xAP and now X10 which I have configurd with my HAI OPII panel. The OPII is connected to the Optex outdoor PIR which triggers (among other stuff) the ZM DVR recordings. I just recently integrated the analog / IP cameras into the HAI touch screen stuff. The HS touchscreens though can view recordings/events stored on the NAS.

Attached are some recent frame snapshots.

Attachments

• Aircam25mm.jpg
    Aircam25mm.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Aircam40mm.jpg
    Aircam40mm.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Optex-SD.jpg
    Optex-SD.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 7
pete_c

How much horsepower do you have in your computer running zoneminder and how many cameras is it controlling?

So, it sounds like the Aircam might be a good choice? I already have motion lights on the front entrance and driveway area so I might not need the night vision option.

I have several Aircams, probably the best bang for the buck camera out there right now. Supports RTSP, so it works with many apps such as Vitamin D, IP Cam Viewer, etc.

Back