IR to PCS?

justmikie

Is there a way (without a computer) to use an IR remote to control PCS switches? We are doing a "Man room" for a client (the bathroom only has a urinal) and he would like to control the lights from his remote. I saw an X10 product that appeared to do it, but was looking for a UPB (simply automated/PCS) product or method of doing it. If not, we will probably put in Lutron but its a lot more expensive just to be able to control with a remote.

thx
mike

I have not used these but I see that PCS has two products that may be of benefit. The WMC6 and WMC8 both can be controlled via IR. The buttons can be programmed to control scenes or other switches that are not IR capable.

Was not sure about the urinal reference and how it related to controlling lights, can you expand on this?

I have not used these but I see that PCS has two products that may be of benefit. The WMC6 and WMC8 both can be controlled via IR. The buttons can be programmed to control scenes or other switches that are not IR capable.

Well, actually the WMC6 is the device with the built-in IR receiver.

AutomatedOutlet said:
Well, actually the WMC6 is the device with the built-in IR receiver.
Yes, this is correct and when used with a remote control you can control other lights or scenes that the switch is linked to.

Captain Caveman said:
Was not sure about the urinal reference and how it related to controlling lights, can you expand on this?
:) sorry, the urinal reference was related to the "MAN Room", not to the lighting control...

I'll try the WMC6

thanks
Mike

Captain Caveman said:
When a guy is using his media room, he has his hands on two things: the remote, and a beer. Disastrous things can happen if he takes his hands off that remote: wife can change channel, someone can unpause while he is gone, redneck friend can change to nascar, etc...

So when he wants to go to the bathroom, he puts the beer down (only by necessity) and has one free hand to do all bathroom functions. So naturally it makes sense that the remote will be able to operate the lights... its going to be in his hand anyway. Ideally it would unzip, aim, and flush too (then dont need to put the beer down). Plus it is more hygenic than touching a lightswitch with the other hand and allows for the efficient "zip/click/walk" motion.

az1324 said:
Captain Caveman said:
When a guy is using his media room, he has his hands on two things: the remote, and a beer. Disastrous things can happen if he takes his hands off that remote: wife can change channel, someone can unpause while he is gone, redneck friend can change to nascar, etc...

So when he wants to go to the bathroom, he puts the beer down (only by necessity) and has one free hand to do all bathroom functions. So naturally it makes sense that the remote will be able to operate the lights... its going to be in his hand anyway. Ideally it would unzip, aim, and flush too (then dont need to put the beer down). Plus it is more hygenic than touching a lightswitch with the other hand and allows for the efficient "zip/click/walk" motion.
Sounds like this guy needs an automated bidet and a motion sensing hand dryer mounted on the wall at about waist level ;)

Back