Is Display Port obsolete?

pete_c

Guru
Just got a couple of micro PCs.  These have a Display port, DVI port and VGA port.

Never really have played with a display port.  Newest iTX server motherboard just had HDMI, DVI and VGA ports on it.  Older motherboards did have a displayport on them.

Comparing HDMI to Display port via a 2013 article in PCWorld.

HDMI

All four types of HDMI cables have a feature called the Audio Return Channel (ARC) that can send the audio from the TV tuner in your HDTV back to your AV receiver. Prior to ARC’s introduction, you needed to connect a second, audio-only cable between your TV and your A/V receiver to play sound from the TV tuner. (Note: ARC is unnecessary if you subscribe to cable or satellite TV and use a set-top box.)

The HDMI specification doesn't define a maximum cable length, nor does it state what type of material HDMI cables should be composed of. Copper wire is the most common material, but HDMI signals can also be run over CAT 5 or CAT 6 cable (for distances of up to 164 feet), over coaxial cable (for up to 300 feet), or over fiber (for more than 328 feet), according to HDMI Licensing LLC.
“Active” HDMI cables have integrated circuits embedded in the cable to amplify the signal. Active cables can be longer and thinner than passive cables (thinner cables are less likely to fail when forced to make hard bends).

HDMI connectors have 19 pins and are most commonly seen in three sizes: Type A (standard), Type C (mini), and Type D (micro). Of these, Type A is by far the most common. A fourth category of HDMI connector, Type E, is used for automotive applications. Most HDMI connectors use a friction lock, meaning that a tight fit keeps the plug mated to the socket, but some vendors have developed proprietary locking mechanisms designed to prevent the cable from pulling loose.

HDMI.gif

DisplayPort

DisplayPort cables are much simpler to define: There’s just one type! The current version, DisplayPort 1.2, delivers enough bandwidth to carry video resolutions of up to 3840 by 2160 pixels at a refresh rate of 60Hz, and it supports all common 3D video formats. DisplayPort cables can also carry multichannel digital audio. On the other hand, DisplayPort can’t carry ethernet data, and the standard doesn’t have an audio return channel.

DisplayPort connectors have 20 pins and are available in two sizes: DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort (the latter is the port of choice for Microsoft's Surface Pro tablet). Interestingly, Intel’s Thunderbolt interface combines the features of Mini DisplayPort and adds PCI Express data connections—but that’s beyond the scope of this article. Though most full-size DisplayPort connectors have a locking mechanism that prevents them from being disconnected accidentally, the official spec does not require that feature.

Displayport.gif

You’ll find HDMI Type D micro connectors on some smartphones and tablets, but no manufacturer aside from Microsoft puts even Mini DisplayPort on its handheld devices. The locking connector common to full-size DisplayPort connectors, on the other hand, is a great feature that appears on only a few HDMI Type A cables.

SO is Displayport obsolete?  Has it been abandoned?

Anyone out there in CocoontechLandia using DisplayPort for their Multimedia stuff?

I don't think Displayport is in any way on its way out.  I'll openly admit some of this gets over my head quickly, but my understanding was that DP offloads the clock timing to the display, reducing the load on the video card itself.

I run a big HP shop, and it seems HP went all in on displayport some time ago.  Some of their desktops will support 4+ DP ports, and all their monitors support it.  Even their micro PC's and business notebooks support 3 screens out of the box; 2 are DP, 1 is VGA normally.

And - DisplayPort can do something HDMI will never do - a single displayport port can run more than one screen.  I have used this adapter with my MS Surface 3 Pro to drive two more 1920x1080p displays with great results.  In the next week or two, I'll be testing the use of other such DP to Dual HDMI splitters, since I just set up a couple conference rooms with dual 75" TV's... I want to see if I can use the single DP out on the HP laptops to drive two external displays...  I'm seeing a lot of these MST Hubs so I'll experiment with a few.  That's a huge difference over HDMI.

Last - DP does support HDCP so secure content is fine.  So HDMI and DP are just different... when connecting your bluray to your 4K 3D TV, you'll want the latest HDMI spec; but for your laptop or even desktop, DP seems to win out... and there are plenty of adapters that go from DP to whatever else you want.

Purchased a displayport to HDMI cable last week and used it for the tiny Xi5A KODI box.  Noticed too that there are mini displayport ports these days. 

Works great. 

Thinking now next KODI build will be using displayport in a small media box (that looks like a media player).  All of my Kodi boxes today are AOpen commercial style (except for one) digital engines.  (these have legacy and HDMI ports on them and optical/analog audio plus SATA ports).  Very functional no frills box.

aopen-1.gif

When initially configuring the two boxes noticed that they did get a bit warm when working.  That said regular operating temps are fine now with Homeseer running on one box and KODI running on the other box. 

Back