Issue with RC2000

charliebarns

I'm having an issue with one of my RC2000s. I rarely adjust the RC2000 settings from Snaplink or PC Access but in being away for the past month I did attempt to adjust my thermostats via software. One of my RC2000s responds as expected. However, the second RC2000 shows the temperature change and then within seconds defaults back to the previous setting (HOLD is not on). This occurs whether I try to adjust temperature, change from HEAT to COOL/OFF - 99 percent of the time it defaults back to its previous setting within a few seconds (next poll I presume). I have managed to get it to accept the settings once but I can't determine anything different that I did that time. It works fine using the thermostat manually - just not through any software control. Do I have a bad RC2000? Possible firmware issue?

thanks

CB

Jumper settings?  Wrong ID? An automation rule that changes the settings back to previous?  Serial mis-wire? Power issue?

Those are about the only things that would affect it.

charliebarns said:
bought a new RC2000 and tried it - exact same behavior. Any thoughts?
Is the "Program Setting" set to "None?"  Is it hard wired or Zigbee?  Can PC Access read the temp and other information correctly? What firmware are you running on the panel?

You might have a power stealing issue.

It was originally prevalent here with my first generation RC80 thermostat. 

Here the fix was to install an aux power supply and thermostat relay board and to utilize an Elk 24VAC transformer.

Here added a single duplex outlet under the furnace switch to power the air cleaner and the aux 24VAC transformer.

Officially it is called:

Omnistat2 Thermostat Isolation Module, 29A00-1

isolation board.jpg

It is a bit of a PITA to install.

1 - Power off all power to the furnace at the breaker level.

2 - Disconnect the motherboard of the furnace - disconnect all wires to the motherboard

3 - remove the motherboad plate and motherboard

4 - mount the isolation module on same metal plate adjacent to the mother board.  It is just a piece of sheet metal.
You just clip the plastic spacers to new drilled holes on the sheet metal.  It is much easier to do this with the entire motherboard out of the furnace and on the work bench.

5 - wire the isolation module to the motherboard

6 - reinstall the motherboard with all original cables

7 - wire thermostat to isolation module

Will take a picture here of the Isolation board mounted adjacent to the HVAC motherboard plate. 

In the midwest my HVAC forced air furnace was in the basement and easy to get to.

In FL HVAC unit is mounted on an elevated plateform on the top of the garage ceiling.  It was a PITA to get to it and lousy design.

The only issue that I still have with the thermostat is that when I power off the thermostat it goes to default color display. 

It is first generation RC2000 and serially wired to panel (versus Zigbee).

I don't bother changing the color any more as I rarely look at the thermostat. 

Works fine with Omnitouch screens, Snap link, Omnitouch Pro screens and Homeseer HSTouch screens.  Most look at status and temperatures.

I do have an aux temperature sensor for it which I have used on and off for the last few years.  It is just two wires to it.

I also utilized an HAI outdoor sensor and a couple of combo indoor sensors. 

pete_c said:
The only issue that I still have with the thermostat is that when I power off the thermostat it goes to default color display.
Your lucky its only when the power goes out.  Mine changes back to annoying green about once a week.  I've used the power isolation module with a separate, even upgraded the RC2000 firmware to 15.07, but no change.

So with Zigbee you can upgrade the firmware on the RC2000?  Here still at the original firmware that the thermostat shipped with.

Thinking too that the ELK 24VAC transformer is a bit heftier than the two other transformers (one for the humidifier and one for the motherboard).

BTW you mentioned your thermostat issue with the old Homeseer 2 OmnPro panel serial plugin on some post here.

I had the same issue you had with one day walking in to the home and the thermostat was pegged at 90 degrees.  That almost killed any automation (WAF).

Tink fixed the plugin and thermostat pieces before moving on.  

pete_c said:
So with Zigbee you can upgrade the firmware on the RC2000?  Here still at the original firmware that the thermostat shipped with.

Yes. Its a bit different, but it works.  So you connect the ZIM to a PC with a USB cable.  Then you use the Zigbee updater on the PC and load the firmware into the ZIM, always loading the firmware for the Zigbee radio FIRST.  Then you wait, and the ZIM downloads the software to all devices that match the firmware.  This can take a while.  In the future, any new Zigbee devices the ZIM sees, it automatically updates the firmware. 

In theory, SmartThings also updates the firmware on Zigbee devices automatically if the option is turned on.  If it actually does, its hard to know.

One more thing. The HAI/Leviton Zigbee Updater software http://www.homeauto.com/zigbeeupdater/
claims to be able to find the latest Zigbee firmware. As far as I can tell, that function has never worked, so you have to find firmware elsewhere. (Not an easy task.) 

Thank you ano.

Left the Zigbee ZIM plugged in to the panel, tested it a few years back and haven't looked at it now for a while.

pete_c said:
Thank you ano.

Left the Zigbee ZIM plugged in to the panel, tested it a few years back and haven't looked at it now for a while.
Yeah, I know. I have it on a shelf in the closet, so had to dust it off and find a PC to connect it to.  At first I was thinking it needed a cable to connect to the serial connector, but it just uses a plain USB cable. Once the firmware is loaded in, give it LOTS of time to load the firmware from the ZIM to the actual device.

Thank you ano.

Been on a SonOff / Mosquitto / Omni / HA bender here.

Decided to install the Leviton Zigbee updater on the new W2016 box; well to see how will it runs.

Application installed fine. Directory mentions 15.08. Current firmware on ZIM is at 15.03.

Didn't see any ZIM radio updates in the directory such that I will leave it a ZIM version 15.03.

I have ZIM 15.07 and ZIM radio 15.07

Omnistat2 that I have is 15.07 but Omnistat2 radio is 15.08

I have most others to 15.07.

If you need any, I can send them to you.  I can't remember where I found them, but for me the updater has never found firmware updates directly. 

Update the ZIM radio first, then the ZIM, then the other radios then the other main firmware.

There is ZIM, PCT (Omnistat2), LCM (Load Control Module), and IHD (A standalone version of the ZIM)

Zigbee updater installed fine on Windows 2016 server.  When the ZIM boots up via USB it shows firmware 15.03.

Running the Updater doesn't show updates.

Zigbee0.jpg

Firmware directory shows the following files:

Zigbee1.jpg

Back