Just about time to head north!

Hi Guys,

Sorry I've been so scarce here over the last month+. But I'm back!

I found a nice contemporary home in Plymouth, Maine (NOT the place where the pilgrims settled - that's Plymouth, Massachusetts), and I'm still bringing things from the storage facility in little by little. It's a 15-y.o. home that's never been completely finished. By that, I mean that things like the interior floors are only the subfloor, the second floor and balcony are not sheetrocked, vaulted ceiling isn't finished in the living room, windows are not trimmed out, etc. Yet, the place is livable (my son and I have been here a couple weeks+ now). We have a full foundation, but only a crawlspace below. I'm on a hill with an outcropping of granite - no place for a cellar!

Got Inet on last night, FINALLY. It's ADSL with about 1M down, so not too fast, but there's no cable or other Inet available in this area. I do have three satellite dishes, though! hehe At least one of them is Dish Network, which is what I used to use. I do have to go through the house and wire up for phone, network, alarm, satellite, etc., but since much of it is still unfinished, that shouldn't be too hard. My main concern at the moment is buttoning it all up for winter.

I'm thinking of going with UPB this time for HA stuff. I still have a bunch of X10, but this place needs a good coupler/repeater. I am on my own transformer! It's on the light pole out by the separate garage! hehe I do have X10 working between the garage and the house without problems. The garage is about 60' away from the house

I haven't found my camera, so no pics just yet. I've got to get a bunch of new gear in the HA arena, such as the UPB stuff, light switches, weather station, wiring, etc. Don't know where to start! I'll probably set up HS2 for grins, but it'll depend on the capabilities and cost of the interfaces I need for it. Still have my Ocelot, TEMP05, CM15A, etc. I'm thinking about the Elk M1, too, since the window frames are still accessible.

Outside stuff is going to be tougher as this is cold country, and I've got a 250' driveway. Mailbox is on the other side of the road, too. Maybe I'll just dig a deep trench for wiring all the way out there and put a small enclosure for electronics out at the end of the driveway. Then use an RF device for the mailbox... Jury is still out on all this and I've got a lot of other work to do first...

Well, will see you all some evening on chat, no doubt!

- Gordon

Welcome back. Have you guys had a frost yet? :)

Man it must be overwhelming, yet exciting to start over again. Let us know how that UPB "stuff" goes. It seems like a high quality system but it's still too rich for my Scottish blood. <_< Plymouth, Maine just east of Detroit, Maine not Michigan ;)

An unfinished house should be great news to you right? I mean now you can run all the wires you want in atleast the areas without sheetrock.

Back