jwilson56's home

Wow, that's soem awesome ideas, I love the touchscreen hidden by fish tank screen saver. Very nice! Looks great John

Well I decided to take a couple pictures of my hardware setup for Now Playing. This picture shows my 3 PC's. The far left one is for my HTPC running SAGETV. The middle one runs Linux with Zoneminder for my security cameras. The far right one is my Now Playing server running Girder 5, JRMC and hosting over 800 CD's ripped using APE lossless format. Below them are the receivers used for the six zones (as well as a spare receiver).

Also shown is the Elk, Edgeport USB and the Netcaller ID boxes.

Attachments

• my_rack_640.jpg
    my_rack_640.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 248
The backside shows my Ocelot, SECU-16, SECU-16I and SECU-16IR along with my 1 wire interface

Attachments

• Ocelot_1_wire_640.jpg
    Ocelot_1_wire_640.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 150
... my hardware setup ...
Impressive rig!

Out of curiosity, have you ever measured its (idle) power consumption?

I am planning on doing that... but it would come down to the three PC's as the receivers are all powered off when not being used. Now Playing allows you to selectively power only the zones you want to use at the moment.

My combined electric and gas bill was $142 last month... and we are working on reducing that but I have a 22 year old that hasn't learned to shut stuff off....

Well I spent time today upgrading to the latest Ocelot plugin (free) for Girder 5 and adding two Bobcat Humidity sensors to my setup. These are automatically polled and the data is available to both Girder and Netremote.

I have one on the main floor as well as one on the lower floor in the family room

Attachments

• Lighting_Security_new.jpg
    Lighting_Security_new.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 128
I have switched over my washer and dryer alert to use the Mamac current sensor switch and NX-640 wireless sensors into my Elk. This makes them 100% reliable and better than the Powerflash I was using.

For my washer alert Elk rules care has to be taken as the current sensor will go on and off as the water is refilled at various times. A timer is used as well as a check to see if the motor has started back up. So here is what I did.

First I used the logic that when the motor is running the zone is secure.

Second I measured the longest amount of time that the motor was not running for tasks such as filling the water (less than 5 minutes)

The logic I used was this for my setup

WHENEVER Washer Status (Zn 2) BECOMES NOT SECURE
THEN TURN Output 100 ON FOR 5 MIN, RESTART TIMER IF RUNNING

WHENEVER Output 100 STATE IS TURNED OFF
AND Washer Status (Zn 2) IS NOT SECURE
THEN TURN Output 11 on for 5 seconds

Girder will pick up Output 11 turning on as an Event and make the announcement with Paul's voice over TTS

Basically this uses the logic that when current is no longer detected if will turn on output 100 for 5 minutes. When those 5 minutes are up Output 100 turns off which fires off the second rule. This checks to see if the motor has restarted and if so the wash cycle is not done yet. If the motor is not running then the announcement is made.

This routine will make the announcement 5 minutes after the last time current was detected. For mine I used a Custom Setting for the timer so I could change it from Girder and tweak the number some.

I hope this helps anyone with the same setup as I have.

Promixis has released a new version of Netremote Designer with the rollout of Netremote 2 and Girder 5. It has added many new features and best of all its now free.

Check it out (screenshot was greatly reduced in size and quality to upload here)

Attachments

• nrd.jpg
    nrd.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 116
I have finished my next hardware project. This box hooks up to me SECU-16 and has 6 opto-coupled inputs that will monitor the power status for all six receivers for my whole house audio system. Instead of using current sensors I decided a few months back to use some very cheap wall-warts I found and plug each into the switched outlet of each receiver. This came out to be a cheap as well as functionally neat way of handling it. Also in the box are 4 10AMP mini relays that will be used for such things as my Ocelot watchdog that will monitor my servers.

Attachments

• interface_1.jpg
    interface_1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 87
The finished box mounted. The small switch on top is a watchdog override.

Attachments

• interface_2.jpg
    interface_2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 87
For those Girder users here is how simple it is to have your LED's on the Netremote screen always reflect the true power status of your amps.

Just have the default images be the dark LED's and then create a new STATE with the rule as shown below and use the red LED's for this state.

Attachments

• power_status_state.jpg
    power_status_state.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 79
For those that want to hide and un-hide the mouse on the Netremote screen here is what you do. Create two buttons (I use invisible ones) somewhere on your screen and use these Actions:

Attachments

• hide_mouse.jpg
    hide_mouse.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 58
  • un_hide_mouse.jpg
    un_hide_mouse.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 50
Well I have updated my Girder 5 with the latest version of the Elk plugin with its enhanced functionality as well as updated both the 1024X768 version of Now Playing as well the the Nokia skin to use the new Ocelot and Elk enhancements. All clients have been updated and everything is working great.

Here is a picture of the Nokia 770 running Now Playing (pretty close to actual size when you click on the thumbnail)

Attachments

• nokia_770_now_playing.jpg
    nokia_770_now_playing.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 121
Some more FAQ info

Elk M1 Gold system for security and safety (smokes, CO and flood damage), some remote relay boards to turn on the garage lights other than the single garage door opener lamp for a time period when its opened.

A) The Elk plugin is pretty good. Rick is adding functions as they are called for as he doesn't have every option to test so PM him for any info on that

Put my music on a server and have music in the 2 kids bedrooms, master bed/bath and outdoor zone.

A) Please do me a favor and use JRMC for multizone. I grow tired of people trying to use Winamp then complaining they can't get things to work right. I would recommend a P4 3GHZ or better with 1+ GB of RAM if your using TTS. BTW the Homeseer voices like Paul work great with Girder 5.

With your setup are all your machines on your network? And do you have just software firewall or do you run a seperate machine like a Linux based machine using the ipchains deal for a firewall right after your cable modem?

A) I use a Buffalo router flashed with DD-WRT for my firewall. My Girder server doesn't use an anti-virus or software firewall as I am behind one.

Also on your Elk do you use the telephone line only or do you use GSM for alerts?

A) I have a Elk EZ8 version so I use the telephone line to detect phone hook status and use Girder to send text messages and email for the Elk alerts

I started to look for a set or stereo receivers that are simple just ir control and stereo only with a receiver no need for video capability. Do you know of anything that is made or was recently made that can fill the bill? Havent found anything that is just a stereo receiver as of yet?

A) I use a Technics SA-EX140 for my auxiliary zones. They are 200W stereo receivers. I got them off Ebay pretty cheap. I still see them on there now and then.

Your drops to the room have a Cat 5, stereo spkr wire and power to run the touch screens and sound for the speakers is that all you ran to the rooms. Ill be adding switches to the rooms so Ill have some station wire 22/4 as well.

A) I use a 16/4 for my speaker wires to handle the 100W of power (doubled up on the wire).

Back