Landscape lighting

Scrambled

Hi all-

I am finally getting around to installing some outdoor lighting. I am planning on using two transformers so that I can have sidewalk lighting and the landscape lighting separate.

Besides controlling the outlet for the transformer with my Elk, what else can I do? Does anyone know of a transformer that is dimmable??? Is one brand better than the next?

I have 1 week to purchase the stuff, because the wife said that the lights are going in next weekend.

Steve

The Led board looks nice, but doesn't seem well suited for landscape lighting IMHO. First, I just do not think it would be very bright, and would certainly be directional at the very least. Secondly, it sure does not look like a very user friendly install!

It would take a bit of work for sure, but you could make the sidewalk pretty high tech :p You could use outdoor motion sensors on each of the lights along the path. Each could trigger the next light, thus as you walked along the light you are coming to next would turn on as you walked down the path. It would also take a bit of creative scripting that as a light is reached, the next one comes on, and the previous shuts off, or when the end of the path is reached, they all just turn off a minute or so later.

This would take some effort for sure, individual wiring for each light, with some sort of module to control each light. It would be a project for sure, but would be one high tech, and a definite conversation piece for guests as they arrive :)

As for dimming, in my experience, the outdoor lights are never quite bright enough for me, and couldn't imagine wanting them dimmer. This of course depends on the lights you are installing for sure, but most are not that bright to begin with.

if the lighting transformers are just that transformers then dimmable doesn't matter. I will reduce the input voltage by a ratio.... BUT I do not know if the dimable switches and or modules will like the transformer as a load.

BUT if the lightning transformer is the type with a timer ect you may not just be able to dim those.

Does anyone know of a transformer that is dimmable??? Is one brand better than the next?
Dimming transformers is like controlling ceiling fan speeds... YMMV

Many have reported success with regular dimmers and low voltage transformers. Some say their transformers run hot. I think it depends upon the transformer, the load and the actual dimmer/switch.

If the transformer has a timer, you probably want to remote the trippers so that you can reliably control the transformer via other means.

Does anyone know of a transformer that is dimmable??? Is one brand better than the next?
Dimming transformers is like controlling ceiling fan speeds... YMMV

Many have reported success with regular dimmers and low voltage transformers. Some say their transformers run hot. I think it depends upon the transformer, the load and the actual dimmer/switch.

If the transformer has a timer, you probably want to remote the trippers so that you can reliably control the transformer via other means.

I think if the dimmer puts out more of a square wave then a sine wave it causes the transformer to run hot. You have to be carefull in my opinion. If you oversize the transformer you might have less heating problems but you will have other issues. I would also add extra fusing or ptc's to be on the safe side.

I think wayne mistyped... remove the trippers so that you can reliably control the transformer via other means.

Personally I would forget about all that low voltage crap that is out there today and stick with regular 110v. Yes, you'll have to run conduit or burial rated wire, and get fixtures from a lighting store (HD and Lowes only care low voltage now), but the end results will be much better.

You might get away with low voltage for the sidewalk lighting since you are not trying to throw light very far, but for lighting scenery definitely go with the regular voltage stuff. Trying to light a 20' tall tree with some 12v lights isn't going to happen IMHO.

SIC, I gave up on 110VAC years ago! I've got probably 4 dozen LVs around the grounds. And I'm uplighting and downlighting trees, as well as paths, etc. A 12V 50 Watt halogen can be blinding.

There are many flood, spot and omni-directional bulbs and fixtures out there.

My word jay, four dozen low voltage lights! :p I would love to see some pics of your landscape at night if possible.
Probably looks likes this..
IMG_8959.jpg

Brian

I've got probably 4 dozen LVs around the grounds. And I'm uplighting and downlighting trees, as well as paths, etc.
My word jay, four dozen low voltage lights! :) I would love to see some pics of your landscape at night if possible.

That's a great idea SR. I'll work on it. Meanwhile, if you go to http://www.gladwyne.com/1209, enter and click "Pond Room", there's one evening shot.

WOW, incredible, just incredible! That is very impressive!

I've got probably 4 dozen LVs around the grounds. And I'm uplighting and downlighting trees, as well as paths, etc.
My word jay, four dozen low voltage lights! :) I would love to see some pics of your landscape at night if possible.

That's a great idea SR. I'll work on it. Meanwhile, if you go to http://www.gladwyne.com/1209, enter and click "Pond Room", there's one evening shot.

WOW, incredible, just incredible! That is very impressive!
Thanks. I've isolated that frame from the slideshow below and marked up the power consumption of the lamps in this scene.
http://www.gladwyne.com/avatars/3.jpg

Back