Premise Lantronix WiBox: Wireless Two Port Servial Device Server

Motorola Premise

etc6849

If anyone is looking for a wifi serial port server, the Lantronix WiBox works great with Premise and requires no driver installation beyond the Lantronix add-in.

All you have to do is add two UDS10's, assign the same IP to each but set the port number of the second to be one higher than the first.

The WiBox is a great little device; best $55 I've spent on ebay! New prices on ebay are typically $55-75 shipped.

Attachments

• serial_port.JPG
    serial_port.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 21
  • wibox.jpg
    wibox.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for the tip! I've been wondering how I will get serial to my plasma (driver coming after I finish my other modules...someday :D ) This ansers the mail. Interesting in that Global Cache came out with something similar, just recently...

I have some older combo serial/Parallel network 10 base T Lantronix boxes which never failed me. I haven't used them in quite a while. To date I have some 5 or so extended serial runs (using CAT5) in the MW. Thinking of a weather station in FL and optimal position is currently not wired - these would would there.

All you have to do is add two UDS10's, assign the same IP to each but set the port number of the second to be one higher than the first.
So do you need 2 of these for them to work?

To clarify, I meant add two virtual UDS10's to Premise to trick SYS into working with the WiBox's two ports. You don't actually need any UDS10's.

The only issue I've ran into so far is this: everything was working fine until I accidently added the same UDS-10 port to two devices at once! This caused both devices to quite working and I had to go back to restore everything from a backup file. I've never had to restore SYS before.

To avoid ever doing this by accident again, I think it's much smarter to download the Lantronix software and use port emulation to talk with the Wibox. I believe there is free software on Lantronix's site to do this.

So do you need 2 of these for them to work?

Does anyone have a power supply for one of these and tell me what it puts out? I have two of these I picked up with no power supplies and it looks like they take anything from 9-20v at 2amps from what I can tell and I'm looking for the specs or a decent priced source for a power supply for them.

Thanks!

I can look Friday; mine came with the original solid state power supplies (as packaged by Lantronix).

The wibox's work great. I'm still using them with the Premise work around found in the first post as this doesn't require me to install any software. The only special thing you have to do to setup is log onto the wibox via a serial cable and hyperterminal to setup everything the first time; there after you can access and change the settings via the internet as the wibox has a built in web server.

I ran some tests to see how many dropped serial packets I'd get using the wibox and I remember the number being very very small per 100,000 commands; on par with that of a wired MSS4 I also grabbed from ebay and far better than a GC100 serial port I tried.

Back