LCD Driver and OWFS

finkej

I have the LCD driver and a 4 line LCD display. At present, I am using the One Wire File System (OWFS) to talk to the driver, and I am able to write messages to the display using the H_LCD "directory".

Is there any way to format the text other than padding the text with spaces and writing "Line 1 text...."+"Line 3 text...."+"Line 2 text...."+"Line 4 text..."?

Does the LCD/Driver recognize any control characters?

The HD44780 LCD controller that the LCD Driver board supports does have some cursor control commands but not as ASCII control characters. I don't know if OWFS supports any of those controls or not.

Eric

I have the LCD driver and a 4 line LCD display. At present, I am using the One Wire File System (OWFS) to talk to the driver, and I am able to write messages to the display using the H_LCD "directory".

Is there any way to format the text other than padding the text with spaces and writing "Line 1 text...."+"Line 3 text...."+"Line 2 text...."+"Line 4 text..."?

I'm working on this, too. I appears the docs and well, everything else is set up for the 2-line display. OWFS just might be initializing it, I'm not yet sure. I've been reading up on this, as it's central to my project; there are many schematics; I just need to work out the bits, and I'll publish something ASAP.

I believe that when it's over, the thing will mechanically work by sending an 80-character string to the device, possibly through the "message" or "screen" files. That means the buffering will have to be done in memory, but that's trivial in Perl.

I'm guessing yours starts out by putting text that doesn't fit into line 1, into line 3? That's what I'm getting here, until I reason how to send it the right pattern...

Hi Guys

Have played with lcds using a pic micro .....080h is the top line home position....0c0h is the bottom line ...but from memory you need to send a control command before sending this data byte...Will have a hunt thru my asm stuff i have used 4 line displays before so should have the addresses somewhere..so long as you can send lcd control commands via the 1 wire software it should work..

HTH
Frank

I'm working on this, too. I appears the docs and well, everything else is set up for the 2-line display. OWFS just might be initializing it, I'm not yet sure. I've been reading up on this, as it's central to my project; there are many schematics; I just need to work out the bits, and I'll publish something ASAP.

I believe that when it's over, the thing will mechanically work by sending an 80-character string to the device, possibly through the "message" or "screen" files. That means the buffering will have to be done in memory, but that's trivial in Perl.

I'm guessing yours starts out by putting text that doesn't fit into line 1, into line 3? That's what I'm getting here, until I reason how to send it the right pattern...

Hello I plan to use LCD driver, with optional switches to pilot what's printed on lcd screen.

Do you have some script examples with OWFS that explain how to use 4*20 LCD driver (and PIO) ?

Thank you

Back