Lock Bumping

lots of info concerning this at . .

http://www.toool.nl/index-eng.php

and the Medeco crack . .

http://www.security.org/

. . from what I read they just had a data sheet on the keys, not a physical one . . considering their knowledge they probably had an idea what the key looked like . .

That's why when my house is in a state of "Armed - Away" I lock the doors with an electronic locking plate that gets magnetically pulled out of the door into the frame. Bump or not, the door isn't going to open without breaking the WHOLE doorjam (it's re-inforced with a plate across the WHOLE doorjam).

Oh, battery backed of course, with a quick release button incase someone needs to exit the house in a HURRY (fire, etc.)

Or at least it will when the stuff come in from the mail.

--Dan

Dan,

Can you give me an example/link of what you're using? This sounds smarter then buying a crazy mechanical lock. Thank you.

P.S. my Bumpkeys are on the way.

-=*Sharby*=-

I am all for the newer more advanced (and electronic) locks. I have considered replacing my entry key lock with an IR or RF remote operated one to make entry with grocery bags easier for my wife. I already replaced the door knob with the handle type (easier for a hand to open).

But lock picking has been around for as long as doors have had locks (a LONG time). I can't recall anyone I've known or even heard of ever having a door lock picked. I am pretty sure Robert Wagner used to get out his lock picking kit in the series "It takes a thief". Maybe that is what the "watching too much TV" is meant to reference.

I was recently informed by my older brother that I shouldn't use [the on line Site] facebook (or any such Site). As criminals use that Site to find out who is home or out of town... to plan their burglaries. I DON"T THINK SO. Most break-ins aren't Robert Wagner types or Internet savvy nerds. They are the sleaze boyfriends of the neighbors down the streets daughter. They watched you drive off to work... then they kick open your door. Not much technology involved.

I've added an "Activity Detected" Voice Warning (and video recording) perimitter detection setup to my home. It automaticly comes on at night or if no one is at home. I think this/that and the alarm stickers on the windows and the locked and sensor armed stormdoors might slow down... all but the very drugged.

There is a cheaper way, it is simple to defeat bumping if you understand the mechanics of how it works. (was a locksmith once) Like those marble swingie thingies (yes that is a technical term) :lol: I just took the last few pin stacks and removed the top pin and replaced it with slightly shorter pin and placed a master pin (wafer) of some size to ride well above the shearline. This makes the space created by the affected (bumped) pin's bounce above the shearline (Shearline is where the plug and the cylinder meet)

so in the chamber, the pin stack would look something like this at rest.

.................|
.................|
/¯¯¯¯||¯¯¯¯||¯¯|SPRING
\____||____||__|SPRING
.................|
.................|SHEAR LINE

Just have to make sure that you dont use too tall of stack or you will collapse the spring. Also need to make sure to do this towards the back (last) chambers so key won't jam on it use a fairly deep pin so the top pin (now middle) doesn't fall below shear line. (kinda complicated but it does work if done right)

While I'm sure it is possible that someone might break into your house because you've annouced your week long vacation on Facebook, it isn't common. First off, hopefully you have your security settings correctly set so that only your friends can see your personal information and posts. If you trust them enough to be your friend, hopefully they are not going to break into your house.

Along the same lines, there is risk in posting too much information about yourself on line in general. People do use cyber fishing technics to learn information about you. It can be especially bad on sites like this where people might be posting quite a bit of information about their security system - what works, what doesn't, if video is being recorded, if the house is monitored by a third party, etc, etc, etc. While it isn't anything that would stop a common thief, a smart one might browse around on sites like this to pick out houses they know are not being monitored, etc.

In the end, there is certainly a need to use common sense when posting about your personal life on the internet. As much as we might feel like there is a community even on this site and therefore let our guard down, anyone can glean information from this site and others.

I've added an "Activity Detected" Voice Warning (and video recording) perimitter detection setup to my home. It automaticly comes on at night or if no one is at home. I think this/that and the alarm stickers on the windows and the locked and sensor armed stormdoors might slow down... all but the very drugged.

let me get this straight - if i come by your house during the day and the outdoor warning sounds, you're not home?

let me get this straight - if i come by your house during the day and the outdoor warning sounds, you're not home?

I kinda like this idea... Kinda like Home Alone. *goes searching for the record player and the manaquinnes (sp?)

But lock picking has been around for as long as doors have had locks (a LONG time). I can't recall anyone I've known or even heard of ever having a door lock picked. I am pretty sure Robert Wagner used to get out his lock picking kit in the series "It takes a thief". Maybe that is what the "watching too much TV" is meant to reference.

I have seen people that have had their door locks picked. There is a was you can fashion a coat hanger in less than 5 minutes that will make a "pick gun". I found one left in a house I was installing an alarm for where a robbery had happened. The homeowner was baffled at what it was. Picking and bypassing is way more prevelent than most people care to admit.

I kinda like this idea... Kinda like Home Alone. *goes searching for the record player and the manaquinnes (sp?)

I could be wrong, but I believe the point of the posting was that a "I'm not home" tell was just publicly posted.

I could be wrong, but I believe the point of the posting was that a "I'm not home" tell was just publicly posted.
True.... you are wrong (both). The system is automatically armed if I am not home or if it is [turns] dark. That doesn't mean it is automatically disarmed at daybreak or if I return home (the setup doesn't have an auto-off). The setup is "automated" so it isn't forgotten. But you missed the point.... you don't need to hang a sign saying you've not home... if I am watching you drive away.

But since the odds are greater than we would like to believe... the robber will be someone known to the victim. Do your neighbor a favor and make your structure as obviously unfriendly to entry as you can.

True.... you are wrong (both). The system is automatically armed if I am not home or if it is [turns] dark. That doesn't mean it is automatically disarmed at daybreak or if I return home (the setup doesn't have an auto-off). The setup is "automated" so it isn't forgotten.

that must get annoying with the computer screaming at you outside every time you take out the trash, get the mail, go to your car, ...

Good thing you can just turn the alarm system off by hitting A1 on an X10 palmpad remote after the computer tells you that there is no one home. ;)

Back