Looking for some feedback on upcoming CQC stuff

I was thinking about the comments on how much we spend on other pieces of the system. I think part of the reaction is a relative thing, these packages have been available for $200-$500 (with some exceptions for those that have a lot of add-ons). I think that set something of a bar in peoples heads.

Now if everything were $600 and $895 came out, it might be more of a 'high end variant'. For someone new coming in, looking at HomeSeer and CQC may not have such a reaction when they never saw the original pricing.

The posts here clearly point out to the cost of MainLobby (which I have to admit, originally that made me look at some of the other offerings, especially when it seemed certain automation functions were not included even with the higher price. I believe the new version may have addressed some of these issues).

One thing I noticed that this does is segregate the offerings: The lower priced options (I very well may be missing cases here) are geared towards automation. The prices seem to be around $200 (or less).

For those who want visually appealing touch screen or otherwise graphical use, that now puts you at the higher end of the (DIY) market. MainLobby, CQC, and any others. Price range now seems to be $500-$1300 depending on options and package.

Someone earlier posted something along the lines of people no longer being able to afford it. I think it is more along the lines of seeing the value at a given price, as anyone with a hobby like this had better be able to afford a few hundred dollars more, even if it takes more time (as otherwise it may be time to find a new hobby). The question is being comfortable with the price of a given item, in this case CQC.

Here we have a large number of people who have seen CQC at $315 for a long time, I said it before, I think anyone who sees the before and after would have something to say for any product with a price increase like that.

All that being said these are just observations, I have my copy of CQC now, and I understand all too well that software is very expensive to make. I am curious to see how this plays out with newer prospects who were not familiar with the 'introductory pricing' of CQC. I'll be honest, before I understood the extension of the old pricing, I was going through my head whether or not I wanted to spend the $500 or $895 on the new version and what that would entail. The conclusion I was starting to come to (and this comes from what I have seen, since I have little direct experience with CQC currently) was that there were other options, but they would involve settling for something less.

I was originally thinking this as making sense for CQC to be on the higher end of pricing, but it seems that is not even the case, even with the new pricing (depending on configuration). Oh well, enough rambling, time for some 'hands-on evaluation').

Well, what I think we're seeing is that back in the day, folks were content to have automation, and hope it worked most of the time. I.E., X10.

However, what would most of your partners (wives/husbands/pets/whatever) prefer:
- Stability: a $20 X10 light switch that works kind of hopefully if you push it just right while standing on your head, or a $120 RadioRA? (assuming there's nothing in between).
- Speed of setup: You spending dozens of hours learning commands/etc to setup stuff, or a point&click?

Where I see the industry maturing is to a place where we're sick of experimenting and hoping it'll work or having to put in fantastic hours to get stuff done, to a place that we're more confident in. In order to do that takes time & $$. I see CQC as that "something between getting up and doing some HA or HT thing yourself" and "pay someone $100K to put AMX in my house".

However, it has to work 100% or else the wife won't let me do this anymore.

The thing that bugs me about all these discussions citing "slightly" increased cost for better reliability is that nobody includes the scalability factor. I will gladly pay an extra $100 per switch if I'm only buying a couple dozen of them, but automation doesn't work that way. You need to multiply it out to a full implementation: 170 switches, 6-8 touchscreens, 20 telephones, 20 whole-house music zones, etc, etc. If a solution can't hold up when scaled up then it isn't really a solid option.

So $120 RadioRA switches will never be viable as far as I'm concerned because that kind of cost premium just isn't practical in a scaled environment.

Well, the general thinking is probably that if you have a house with 20 zones, then you probably aren't worried about whether the light switches cost $50 or $100, because a $100K automation system is probably considered quit reasonable for a house of that size.

Dean Roddey said:
Well, the general thinking is probably that if you have a house with 20 zones, then you probably aren't worried about whether the light switches cost $50 or $100, because a $100K automation system is probably considered quit reasonable for a house of that size.
That may be true in high end urban markets but is not at all the case in rural areas. 7,000 square feet in my neck of the woods is as cheap (or cheaper) than 700 square feet in Manhatten or Santa Barbara. Likewise my switch budget is the same as it would be for a 700 sq foot home in those areas. If they are willing to pay a $50/switch premium for a dozen better quality switches then I can only pay a $5/switch premium on the 120 switches I need to get the same ROI.

I think this is one of the factors that is skewing the pricing and therefore the acceptance of automation in general. It is targeted to premium customers in geographic markets that are way off the charts in housing and other costs so the idea that "$100K automation is quite reasonable for a house of that size" actually sounds like something you could say with a straight face. $100K is a pretty significant chunk of what a 7,000 sq foot house costs around here and is not likely to be the target automation budget for anybody I know.

upstatemike said:
$100K is a pretty significant chunk of what a 7,000 sq foot house costs around here and is not likely to be the target automation budget for anybody I know.
Wow! Wish I could say the same. Say, how bad is the commute from there to Manhattan? :D

Back