LOW VOLAGE WIRES

gasbie

could someone advice me on how to pin bundle of LV wires to the beam before I throw on the dry wall to the ceiling. I need something that will hold it neatly to the beams. Any suggestions?

haven't had to do it myself...but how about a ziptie around the wires and then nail the ziptie to the beam?

I most of my case the wiring will remain accessible so i used velcro straps which are nailed to the beams...i can undo and add cables to the bundle as needed.

haven't had to do it myself...but how about a ziptie around the wires and then nail the ziptie to the beam?

I most of my case the wiring will remain accessible so i used velcro straps which are nailed to the beams...i can undo and add cables to the bundle as needed.

Monoprice has lots of great stuff for cable management and it only cost a few bucks.

I ordered a couple hundred packs of their "Circle cable clipped with steel nail" in the, 10 mm, 20 mm, 30 mm, and 40 mm size for a few bucks.

58341.jpg

They've also got some pretty good prices on zip ties and hook & loop cable ties.

Bought a bunch, just waiting for the roofer to finish up so that we can start pulling wires.

I like using the standoff's the BORG sells for electric wire if I have a bunch, it has about 4 slots to stuff the wire in and it keeps them a little seprated. There are also tiewraps with a spot to drive a screw in thoes work well. but the standoffs are easer if you are running wire or adding wire.

Make sure you don't run your low voltage wires adjacent to (along side or combined with) any 120/220V wiring. The 60 cycle AC can cause real problems with xAP and audio signals.

Steve Q

can someone tell me if 9-12 vdc voltage is considered a low voltage? This is for my indoor camera and smoke detector to the elk m1g. thanks

can someone tell me if 9-12 vdc voltage is considered a low voltage? This is for my indoor camera and smoke detector to the elk m1g. thanks

Yes.

And as far as securing wires, if you have a bunch of them running together I like to staple zip ties to a joist and then loosely zip the zip tie shut holding the wires. When I am 100% sure I have run the last wire on that route, I tighten it down just barely snug. For a single wire, use the little plastic gizmos that are designed for that. They also make staple guns just for that purpose but you need to be careful as they can cut into the wire.

The pipe holder sounds like a good idea too for multiple wires, but you won't be able to cinch them. A combo of the two approaches might be best where you mostly use pipe holders and put some of the zip ties every so often to keep the wires from sliding back and forth.

so in other words, this 12vdc wire can run with the ethernet wire with no problem?

That's a big maybe. What is supplying the 12v? If it is protected / fused it might be OK. The fact that something is of a lower voltage does not mean it isn't capable of high current.

If the 12 volt lines are powering lights or other high current stuff you could get some noise interference on the cat5. If it is true DC current then it is very unlikely even if it is higher current.

If the 12 volts is powering security cameras and smokes you will be fine. I have my camera lines and smoke lines (also an Elk) running all bundled together no problem.

If the 12 volt lines are powering lights or other high current stuff you could get some noise interference on the cat5. If it is true DC current then it is very unlikely even if it is higher current.

If the 12 volts is powering security cameras and smokes you will be fine. I have my camera lines and smoke lines (also an Elk) running all bundled together no problem.

yes, it will be powering the security camera and smoke via elk

Heres what we did in our server room for cheap wire holders. Granted we're holding big bundles of wires so it might not fit your need... but if your bundling a lot of wires like us, it might work great. Just head to your electrical aisle of your home depot and get yourself some conduit and some screw on caps/metal ends and your good to go... really cheap and work very well (you can hang from them):

25805_1279565864665_1095570040_30735528_1544471_n.jpg

25805_1279434101371_1095570040_30735103_1084704_n.jpg

25805_1279450741787_1095570040_30735148_5943809_n.jpg

Back