M1 keypad display questions

WayneW

When doing a keypad message that can be cleared by the user pressing "*", is there supposed to be a blank line display in its place? For example, I send "abcdef" to the keypad. The second line now rotates between 3 lines: time, temp and abcdef. Once the user presses "*", the second line of the display still rotates 3 lines; time, temp & <blank>. I am not aware of a method for the control to know that the user has pressed "*" to acknowledge the message, is there one? Is there some way to get the second line to simply go back to time/temp automatically? I find the blank display boring & distracting.

When sending text with beep, are all the keypads supposed to beep "in harmony"? It seems that my two keypads take turns, one beeps about 4 times, then the other one beeps about 4 times, back & forth. I think it would be nice if both keypads beeped continuously, rather than ping-pong and with gaps.

When sending text with beep to the keypad, does the user need to go to each keypad to silence the beeping? It seemed to work that way for me and that doesn't seem right.

I use that feature to remind me of stuff like birthdays and anniversaries. I didn't realize that you could make it beep too! I'll have to play with that one.

I don't get the blank line you are talking about. The message just scrolls on the second line just fine.

Perhaps Spanky can help.

AutomatedOutlet said:
I don't get the blank line you are talking about. The message just scrolls on the second line just fine.
But what happens to your display after the message expires or is cleared with "*"?

Do you have the date/time & temp lines enabled? or is your bottom line normally blank except for special messages. I have the date/time & temp enabled.

Wayne,
That blank line shows up after you have sent a text string to the keypad. We are working on getting rid of the blank line in a future keypad software release.

When downloading software upgrades into the M1, UL made us beep the keypads indicating that communication to the keypads had stopped. The next M1 upgrade only beeps keypad address 1 instead of all the keypads during the software upgrade. When the upgrade has finished downloading the beeping should stop.

Remember to stop any keypad beeping except burglar alarms, press the "*" (star) key.

ELK Swat Team
The slimmer the BUG, the more we like it!

Thanks for letting me know you are fixing the first issue. But the other issues didn't involve firmware upgrades, they involved sending text to the keypad and beeping to draw your attention to the new keypad message.

When sending text with beep, are all the keypads supposed to beep "in harmony"? It seems that my two keypads take turns, one beeps about 4 times, then the other one beeps about 4 times, back & forth. I think it would be nice if both keypads beeped continuously, rather than ping-pong and with gaps. If you have six keypads, do they all "takes turns" beeping all over the house?

When sending text with beep to the keypad, does the user need to go to each keypad to silence the beeping? It seemed to work that way for me and that doesn't seem right.

While you are researching, I came up with more questions.

Is there a way for the M1 to report to HA that the "*" has been pressed to ack a message?

How should this scenario be dealt with: I want to put up a message "take out the trash" until the trash is actually taken out, but I don't want it to beep all night long (when I finally do it). Basically, I want a snooze feature. Starting at 6 PM it would put up the message and beep a few times (maybe until silenced, but that isn't to indicate that I did the trash). Then at 6:30 it nags again, etc. Can this be done without using the Fkeys?

Wayne, my.Elk already supports triggering events when the * button has been pushed, isn't that what you want?

electron said:
Wayne, my.Elk already supports triggering events when the * button has been pushed, isn't that what you want?
cool, been to busy to get that far with the script. I assume it broadcasts, rather than requiring polling?

Do you know of any way to do the trash nag scenario without HS & scripting? I admit, I haven't given much thought or effort to this before posting, I am just brainstorming here at work. I guess the main problem is that even the M1 won't know if you are using hate "*" for a snooze or for a "turn off the nag", so I think Fkeys would be required.

I don't remember for sure, but if you can monitor the button using Elk RP rules, you don't even need to use the PC. I will have to test this myself, since I am working on the trash reminder as well (eventho I am thinking of sticking a magnet on my trashcan to know when it has been brought outside lol).

Write a rule that sets a counter to non zero to act as a flag to take out the trash at a specific time of the week when the trash needs to go out.

another rule:
Whenever every 10 minutes
And the counter is not = to 0
Speak " a nagging trashey phrase"

As electron suggested, tie a switch to an unused zone input with a magnet on the trash can or you could use an F Key.
Another rule:
Whenever Trash zone becomes non secure
Then set counter to 0

Whenever F Key is pressed
Then set counter to 0

WayneW said:
When doing a keypad message that can be cleared by the user pressing "*", is there supposed to be a blank line display in its place? For example, I send "abcdef" to the keypad. The second line now rotates between 3 lines: time, temp and abcdef. Once the user presses "*", the second line of the display still rotates 3 lines; time, temp & <blank>. I am not aware of a method for the control to know that the user has pressed "*" to acknowledge the message, is there one? Is there some way to get the second line to simply go back to time/temp automatically? I find the blank display boring & distracting.
Wayne, don't know if you still have trouble with this but I noticed the same thing. I found that if you simply press the * key a second time it will remove the blank line.

Back