Mailbox Monitoring issue

Hi ClearToLand:

Haven't seen you post in a while, but you reminded me of something. Weren't you looking for a Mercury switch to use in a remote control a while ago?

Would this Tilt Switch that I referenced above work out for you with that application? I can't remember all the details. :lol:

I wanted to do this. I'll have to try the Hawkeye. Either may be an issue for me, since my mailbox is across the street, and the mail truck is in between the device and my antenna when the mail is delivered! :lol:

BraveSirRobbin said:
Weren't you looking for a Mercury switch to use in a remote control a while ago?

Would this Tilt Switch that I referenced above work out for you with that application?
Thanks for remembering! Looks nice (needs to fit between two AAA batteries) - now (to search JameCo), what are the "Minimum Order" requirements... :eek: [Group Order anyone? :lol: ]

BraveSirRobbin said:
...I can't remember all the details.  ;)
Before the "Credit Card" Remotes, the "Keychain" Remotes only controlled two units. But, they had a slide switch (inside the battery compartment) to choose between two groups of two: 1-2 or 5-6. The MOD was to replace the slide switch with the mercury switch, allowing the user to select 1-2 or 5-6 depending on how he held the remote when pressing the buttons.

BraveSirRobbin said:
...Haven't seen you post in a while, but...
HEHE! I move from hobby to hobby in peaks (usually lasting a month or two, devoted to gathering information and writing FAQs) - way back when, I was reading and answering a LOT of X-10 questions. So, I was spending lots of time here and trying to "establish a 'broader' direction" over at AccessX10.

IIRC, I then moved onto Aviation (a Private Pilots 'Buddy' Database), then DVArchive v3.1 (Commonly Asked Questions), and currently WiRNS 1.3.1.24 (Commonly Asked Questions) - the last two both directly related to ReplayTV. IMO, it serves a dual purpose - I'm reading all the archives, searching Google, etc... to learn about a specific subject for myself, and by taking "Notes", I leave something behind for future newbies to read... ;)

TonyNo said:
I wanted to do this. I'll have to try the Hawkeye. Either may be an issue for me, since my mailbox is across the street, and the mail truck is in between the device and my antenna when the mail is delivered!  :lol:
I can already envision the installation!
  • Mod'ed Hawkeye to add external antenna
  • Old fiberglass fishing rod clamped to mailbox post (to gain height over metal mail truck; flexible to withstand high winds)
  • External antenna "relocated" to top of fishing rod with coax (which impedance?) in between
  • BTW, Ido once mentioned (back in 1999 I think) adding a THIRD battery to boost the input power from 3.0VDC to 4.5VDC. Illegal per FCC regulations, but... ;)

Heh! I'll try it without the tower and hope it works first! :lol: It may be across the street from my house, but it is in someone else's front yard!

Back