Managed Switches (L3) - Ubiquiti

batwater

Does anyone have any experience with Ubiquiti's L3 capable Edge switches?  

In particular I'm wanting to put automation devices, media devices and security cameras / server on separate vlans.  Also thinking that I will use fiber interconnects  to electrically isolate the network, especially the IP cameras and camera server from the media stuff and the rest of the network. I already have an Edge Router 8Pro with 2 fiber uplink ports.

Also interested in controlling traffic flow for security (ACL on a VLAN) and L3 capable switches should give me visibility into to what devices are talking to each other.

I'm not absolutely set on a Ubiquiti solution but have started down that MFG path with the router and unifi AP so would prefer to keep it consistent.

So... you don't have the switch yet?

With that router you shouldn't need a L3 switch as each port on the router should be VLAN capable in itself . You can add any L2 switch off each configured port to accomplish your goals. Unless you want to divide the L3 up for multiple VLAN/port configurations. Though... if you want to electrically isolate one of the VLANs via fiber you'll need a separate switch for that anyway.

Basically, you have options  :)

No not yet, still in R&D mode. I have multiple Netgear unmanaged switches now in the home theater (8 port & 5 port daisy chained) that are at capacity so need to upgrade. Want to segment at the switch with multiple VLAN port configurations to manage access. HT Netgear switches will get redeployed to the edge where i need capacity in particular rooms.

Don't have any outdoor POE cameras yet, future purchases.  Want to isolate the camera server & cameras (8 exterior analog cameras) from the rest of the network via fiber (& separate VLAN for access) so that will also be a new switch as well. 

I am in this same boat now too I think.  I have about 26 wired ports with cameras and other stuff that I will need POE on as well .  I currently have a Ubiquity POE edgemax router and a small POE netgear swtich .  I have various switches daisy chained near equipment clusters but I think it is working against me now.  So I will be following this thread.

Back