Measuring pool piping water flow and/or pressure

There are some controls that maintain constant flow that will increase current/power but those are rare for these types of pumps.

This is what I am talking about. I don't argue with you on the pump that gets to run wild when resistance drops. This isn't how my well pump works so it wasn't foremost on my mind.

But you wanted my data. I have a variable speed well pump. If you pump 10gpm/50 psi, it draws less current than it does at 10gpm/90 psi. The reason is that it has a $1500 controller which, no doubt, will not be found on most pumps.

I am currently doing another project. I was using a DC motor to power the project, current is very important as I needed to keep it to a minimum.

Cutting to the chase, the DC motor I was using drew .3 (300 milliamps) amps running wild and 5 amps with heavy resistance. So, clearly, motor amperage draw can not be simply stated to be higher or lower with/without resistance but rather is going to be specific to the motor.

I have used a adjustable pressure switch and it works well. See information below:

AQUATIC ECO-SYSTEMS
HOMEAQUACULTURELAKE MANAGEMENTKOIAQUARIUMPONICS

PRESSURE SWITCH, ADJUSTABLE

Adjustable sensitivity.
Low-cost method to start backup equipment or trip an alarm or relay. 3/16" air/water line hose barb, connects normally open or normally closed. High-quality, snap action (single-pole double-throw) switch will carry up to 3 amps at 115V.

For low-pressure applications (do not exceed 40 psi). Factory set at 30" H2O. Moisture-resistant. Only 1.5" long. UL-listed.

Click image to view larger image

Products
Reviews
Part No. Product Name Shipping In Stock Price Quantity
B601 Pressure Switch In Stock $31.15
($28.04/4+)  

Welcome to CT!

Are you using this switch in a pool environment?    Would love to see pics if you have it mounted, this looks like it might do the job, and I am about to start working (and finish) this controller before the pool season starts.

I couldn't find a manual for it, but I assume it trips when the pressure drops or exceeds a certain range?

Hello... new to this forum and I realize this post is over two years old.  I have developed a system to monitor my pool filter head pressure remotely.  When the pool filter head pressure gets over 15 psi the system sends me an SMS to notify me.  I used SMS since we may be out of town for long periods and the home may not have internet service.  It consists of two parts: 1.  An Arduino Uno controller with an XBee shield (Controller) and an SMS SIM900 Shield, and 2.  A battery operated remote monitor with a Whitman Controls P88G-4-C5TB pressure switch and an XBee configured as a hub.  Once the SMS is sent and after I clean the filter, I send a message to the controller that resets the Arduino filter dirty counter and starts the process from the beginning.  I get one SMS to tell me the filter is dirty.  Using a prepaid SIM the cost is under $50/year.  It's important you select the right switch since the meduim, i.e. direct contact with water, may not be compatible with most pressure switches and the switch could fail.  The Whitman Controls switch was about $35 plus shipping.  You can order directly from Whitman.  I call the system Filter Watch.

Back