Microsoft confirms it’s already cancelling its newest version of Windows

pete_c

Guru
Microsoft confirms it’s already cancelling its newest version of Windows
Zach Epstein
March 7, 2018
BGR - Tech

Less than one year ago, Microsoft unveiled a new version of its Windows platform called Windows 10 S. It was a curious endeavor right from the get-go. Intended as a rival for Google’s Chrome OS, which continues to gain substantial ground in important markets like education, Windows 10 S is something of a “Windows 10 Lite” solution. It is only capable of running apps downloaded from the Microsoft Store, and Microsoft claimed that the “S” stood for “Simplicity.”

Now, for the strange part. While Windows 10 S was launched to be a lite version of the Windows platform that could power lower-cost laptops to compete with Chromebooks, it actually hides the full version of Windows 10 inside. For a $50 fee, any Windows 10 S machine can be transformed into a full-fledged Windows 10 computer.

It was an interesting idea, but industry watchers were skeptical from the start. Now, it turns out that their skepticism was warranted because Microsoft has already confirmed that it’s scrapping Windows 10 S and replacing it with a new Windows 10 S “Mode.”

Microsoft managed to reel in a number of manufacturer partners ahead of its Windows 10 S announcement. Acer, Asus, Dell, Fujitsu, HP, Samsung, and Toshiba all signed on to release lower-cost laptops powered by Windows 10 S and starting at just $189. The move was a clear shot at Google, which has managed to steal the lion’s share of the education market in key regions thanks to ultra-affordable Chromebook laptops offered by Google’s partners.

Some recent estimates suggest Chrome OS now owns about 60% of the US education market in grades K-12. This is hugely significant, of course, because students who grow up using Chrome instead of Windows are more likely to continue using it as adults. And now, even users who want high-end laptops that offer impressive performance can stick with Chrome thanks to devices like the latest Google Pixelbook.

But it appears as though Windows 10 S hasn’t been received as well as Microsoft had hoped. Just 10 months after announcing the new operating system, Microsoft on Tuesday evening confirmed that it is being scrapped next year. In its place, Microsoft will build a new “S Mode” into Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Enterprise, and Windows 10 Pro. Administrators in settings like schools will likely be able to lock devices in S Mode, though details are scarce for the time being.

“We use Win10S as an option for schools or businesses that want the ‘low-hassle’/ guaranteed performance version,” Microsoft executive Joe Belfiore wrote in a post on Twitter. “Next year 10S will be a ‘mode’ of existing versions, not a distinct version.” Belfiore’s tweet was posted in response to a user asking why Windows S 10 market share data wasn’t being separated from overall Windows 10 market share figures.

Recent rumors had suggested that Microsoft was planning to scrap its paid upgrade scheme for some Windows 10 S device owners who want to upgrade to Windows 10. According to those reports, users with Windows 10 S machines would be able to upgrade to Windows 10 Home for free, while upgrades to Windows 10 Pro would still cost $50. Microsoft hasn’t yet offered any additional details, so it remains to be seen if this will indeed be the case.

BTW we have an issue on the forum lately. 

The OP above originally was posted with source links and I couldn't save it as it kept going to the security validation so I just did a copy and paste with no links and it works that way.

None the less seeing some willy nilly decision making coming from Microsoft lately; one day one way and another day another way.

Here and personally running MS OS's in VMs a la carte style on my Ubuntu computers when I need it; but do not depend on it.

Browser of choice here has always been Firefox.  I did try Chrome and really didn't like it much.

In another post here I mentioned that the new Firefox is fast and works well.  It does but only on newer and faster CPUs.  Testing it on an old Intel Atom D525 Shuttle; it crawls and not worth using (Ubuntu or Windows).

Concurrently a couple of weeks ago I was able to get a Windows VM going on an Arm based RPi.  It worked but it was really slow. 

I also tested beta Outlook on Windows 10 (new Lenova Tiny desktop).  I am not impressed and personally going back to using Thunderbird (or Outlook of old).  Testing it deleted all of the emails in my inbox and for some unknown reason it deleted the deleted emails such that I had to recover them all. 

This is not what I have expected from Microsoft.  Same here for dealing with Disney these days (very mickey mouse ;)

That said it does make nice automation touchscreens / tablets which I prefer to Android these days. 

An off topic post attached here.

Today in History (note today is March 7, 2018) - edited to my liking - it is said we learn from history.

322 BC: Aristotle, The Greek Philosopher dies
Aristotle, teacher of Alexander the Great and the most influential philosopher in history, dies in Chalcis, Greece, at 62.

1850: Webster endorses the compromise of 1850
In a three-hour speech to the U.S. Senate, Daniel Webster of Massachusetts endorses the Compromise of 1850 as a means of preserving the Union

1876: Alexander Graham Bell patents telephone
Alexander Graham Bell receives a patent for his revolutionary new invention -- the telephone.

Attachments

• US-1850.jpg
    US-1850.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 0
Back