Microsoft TechNet

felixrosbergen

I recently read about Microsoft TechNet which apparently you can joiin for $400 or so and then they let you download and install a lot of Microsoft product.

Link

It appears intended for admin that want to try out software, it specifically says that it is not to be used for 'production'.

Would joining this allow me to get Win2k3 server for the $400 ? There does not appear to be a timelimt to the usage.

Just wondering where the catch is or if other have used this?

I want to install Wink2k3 server for my HA server for the following reasons:
- To get experience running windows servers (i work at a small company and nobody really knows how to do this stuff, i know just enough to be seriously dangerous)
- Stability (hopefully)

The things i woudl want to run on this are:
- CQC
- SageTV
- ELK RP
- ITunes
- Some other random apps...

Any suggestions?

Seems like either way i'm spending $400 or so on an OS since i would want to use a fully 'licensed' version for whatever OS I put on this server (XP Pro, Vista or Win2k3 server).

I am not directly familiar with Technet, but does is license it grants you only valid as long as your subscription is ... so you would be paying $400 \ year?

Check our windows home server instead. This is basically Server 2003 with some extra stuff on top. I think the cost is around $170 OEM.
I am currently running CQC and SageTV on a box with WHS with no problems (including a PCI capture card and a HD-PVR box). The only limitation I have run into is a maximum of 3 terminal service sessions.

Well the purpose of Technet is for testing purposes and using as you have suggested would be against the user agreement. That being said, although the license does expire after 1 year (you could renew), the downloads and products keys that you have registered will continue to be good even after the license expires. Again, to continue to use them after it expires is probably against the rules, but the system will not prevent you from doing so. Once the product keys are activated, they will be good forever. Even if you have to reinstall an OS the key will still work.

Having been there/done that, long ago... I don't recommend you do this. I don't object to using a server for your HA machine, but I am waring you that you don't want your learning machine to be your HA machine. Your HA machine should be as stable and boring as possible, which goes against the learning aspect. You will be ticked off when your failed Active Directory experiment is preventing your lights & TV from working.

One other resource for learning MS products is the Microsoft Action Pack.
http://oem.microsoft.com/public/seo/action_pack.htm

You can often find 180 day eval copies of MS server products if you only need to learn for a short while or don't mind starting over sometimes.

In that case, you'll have to spend about a thousand dollars just to get Windows Server 2003 or 2008 just to setup a Home Automation server -- even if you don't need DHCP Server, DNS Server, etc.

I think Windows Server 2003/2008 is just overkill for home automation, but for me, I like having Windows Server 2008 as a central server for my home -- beyond Windows Home Server.

But in the other hand, Windows Home Server is just a stripped down version of Windows Server 2003. I might try to find a comparison between the two, but it will take some time to scroll through pages and pages...

For example:

"Windows Home Server" "Windows Server 2003"
"Windows Home Server" "Windows Server 2003" compare
"Windows Home Server" "Windows Server 2003" comparison
etc.

None of the results does't fit my criteria.

What I can suggest is if you really want features from Windows Server 2003, such as DHCP Server, DNS Server, domain controller (SAMBA in openSUSE), etc. but have IIS 6.0 with .net Framework 3.5, you can run OpenSUSE 11 as a host and virtualize Windows Home Server on top of OpenSUSE 11.

TechNet is a good deal, but there are sometimes limitations on the software keys when it comes time to upgrade, migrate, or apply security packs, etc. In the past some evaluation copies of software packages were time-limited with Technet keys, as well. I'd not use TechNet keys in a production environment - sooner or later the limitations will bite you.

I have been a Technet subscriber for 2 years now. I run a small computer service company.

The intention is that you can setup multiple machines for testing. Think a corporate lab. Most of the product keys can be used up to 10 times. They don't shut down after the subscription ends, but it is against the EULA, of course, to continue running them. I have a couple of machines that have been running continuously since day one of the first year's subscription.

The servers are limited to 5 users. Home server is NOT one of the downloadable products.

All in all, a great value for it's intended purpose. But to use it for personal licensing is not officially part of the agreement.

ADDITIONAL: Also, the price last I checked was $249.00 and I even got a discount on my second year. But I haven't looked in a while.

Thanks for the replies guys…does Windows Home Server provide most of the features that the original Windows server offers:
- DHCP (probably wont use, I’ll let the Linksys RV042 handle that)
- DNS (I want to use this)
- Activity Directory
- Etc?

Windows Home Server cannot be added to a domain - thus there is no active directory support within the OS - WHS was created as a central repository for file sharing, video, photos, and music. It is also a great backup solution for pc's in the workgroup.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/4...iewer_Guide.pdf

As was stated earlier one does not want to use our HA machine as a learning / test machine - in a learning / test environment one likes to be able to push the limits of the software and if it blows up reformat, reinstall and start again.

I run WHS, to get dhcp you need to use one of the community created addons, as intoz-wave stated you can not add it to a domain, so dns and AD are also out. one of the other community wanted featured was email server which is also missing.

it is a cutdown sbs2003 machine.

Windows Home Server cannot be added to a domain - thus there is no active directory support within the OS - WHS was created as a central repository for file sharing, video, photos, and music. It is also a great backup solution for pc's in the workgroup.

So, one of Windows Home Server's strengths is backup/restore and netwowk sharing. Time to save your money for Windows SBS (Small Business Server) 2003 or 2008 if you want DHCP Server (other than DHCP4WHS, which I believe you have more control with Microsoft's DHCP Server than DHCP4WHS), DNS Server, Active Directory, etc.

It's great if you want to integrate Windows SBS 2003 or 2008 into your home. ;)

So, one of Windows Home Server's strengths is backup/restore and netwowk sharing. Time to save your money for Windows SBS (Small Business Server) 2003 or 2008 if you want DHCP Server (other than DHCP4WHS, which I believe you have more control with Microsoft's DHCP Server than DHCP4WHS), DNS Server, Active Directory, etc.

My WHS box lists DHCP and DNS as installable features ... not that I've tried installing them. Most devices are configured with static IP addresses, and I just you my routers DHCP for any ad-hoc clients.

It's mostly the DNS that i am interested in.

So when i am tooling around on the network i don't have to remember \\172.16.1.134\ but instead can just use '\\ELK\

It's really not that big of a deal. Somebody mentioned $170 for WHS, that seems cheaper than a windows Vista lincense.

Basically I'm building the server myself from hardware components so i need to buy the OS separately. If $170 gets me WHS with the backup feautures and Windows server stability I would take that over a Vista license i think.

It's mostly the DNS that i am interested in.
So when i am tooling around on the network i don't have to remember \\172.16.1.134\ but instead can just use '\\ELK\
Learning DNS is cool, but for the benefit of others, you can accomplish the same thing for free by editing your hosts file (assuming you are using static IPs).

One of the other things i wanted windows server for is so that multiple users can have their profile on the server and the desktop, settings, etc would all be the same no matter which computer they log into.

Would this be a function that WHS supports or is that core Win2k3 server?

Back