Milestone/Hikvision Video Monitoring

As the document DEL linked to details, you have to register within the 30 day trial period and then you get the license key...

I ended up buying Blue Iris when I had trouble getting Milestone to completely work. Then I discovered Blue Iris eats up CPU resources. Went back to Milestone and got it working. It doesn't eat up CPU resources like Blue Iris. Can't beat free.

Fearless said:
I ended up buying Blue Iris when I had trouble getting Milestone to completely work. Then I discovered Blue Iris eats up CPU resources. Went back to Milestone and got it working. It doesn't eat up CPU resources like Blue Iris. Can't beat free.

Did you enable Direct-To-Disc recording with BlueIris?

I have an install that is currently running 6 cameras, 1920x1080ea, all at 20fps on an older Core2Quad processor and its running about 45%. Another 6 camera install on a relatively modern i7, all at 30fps, running about 25%. All cameras on both installations are running motion detection. That's not very CPU intensive in my world... at least not for what it's doing. Direct-to-Disc recording is probably the main thing in BI that will significantly drop CPU usage, as default all video is re-encoded with the BI codec and that just eats up CPU resources.

Since I don't deal with BI, is there an inherent reason why they're choosing their own codec? Every other manufacturer is typically using H264 or MP4V at this point and using the MJPEG as the motion detecting stream.

CPU usage is only part of the equation. You need to look at the R/W cyclic usage of the machine between the OS and the video. That's going to be your limiting factor

I mistakenly used codec above, when I should have written format. Having said that, from the BlueIris Help function:

You may choose between AVI, Blue Iris DVR (.bvr), Windows Media (.wmv) or MPEG-4 (.mp4).  Each format has its advantages.

When you choose AVI or Blue Iris DVR, you may select the video encoder (codec).  Currently, you may choose from either H.264  (the default), MJPG (no temporal compression), or XVID if you have that installed from xvid.org.

The Blue Iris DVR format allows videos to be read and written simultaneously, as well as for videos to exceed 1GB, both of which are limitations of the AVI file format. The Blue Iris DVR format is also a highly-efficient flat-file format as opposed to the RIFF structure found in AVI files. You should consider using this format when creating large video files or when you need to access the video while it is still open for writing.

The other thing not mentioned there is that the BI format allows BI to add custom text overlays to the video (e.g. time stamp).

I've had direct-to-disc turned on since day 1. For the time-stamp, I just use the camera's internal feature for that rather than to impose that on the CPU side.

Interesting. Works different than any other VMS out there. Almost all break down the streams into AVI's and then store consecutive files. Generally about 4 min of video then the VMS strings the files together for the larger files.

Usually the timestamp is inherent to the codec and not a function of additional system settings. Part of why and how video can be used in law, due to the timestamp and fingerprint of the file itself.

Yes, you can use Milestone Essentials for free, but I believe you will need to reapply for a license once a year (someone will have to confirm).

I had to reassign one of my internal application web servers to a different port, so port 80 could be used by Milestone.  I couldn’t figure out how to change Milestone’s default port  – without searching/calling tech. support. I have three different models of Hikvision cameras, and they were all auto-detected.

I just rebuilt my server using upgraded Express license.

My only issue now is there is then my Android phone cannot connect without manually starting the “Image Server”.  For now, I am manually starting the “Image Server” every time I reboot Milestone VMS computer. The Android app is pretty nice.

The current change in licensing sort of sucks IMO. Previously, buying an, “Essential s Care Plus,” license emulated how OpenSource “support contact” products are licensed. The Essential version was free, but updates, support, and usage cost a modest amount of money. I just priced out the Express version, and the cost is significantly more.  Fortunately, I bought the many years of Essentials Care+, so I am getting a wonderful deal.

DELInstallations said:
Interesting. Works different than any other VMS out there. Almost all break down the streams into AVI's and then store consecutive files. Generally about 4 min of video then the VMS strings the files together for the larger files.

Usually the timestamp is inherent to the codec and not a function of additional system settings. Part of why and how video can be used in law, due to the timestamp and fingerprint of the file itself.
Certainly... and that's pretty much exactly how the Direct-to-disk option works too... the feed from the camera is recording directly to the HDD - hence the name.

I've used Milestone [XProtect Corporate] and certainly understand how the chain-of-custody and video integrity process works; granted I've never had to use any as evidence to date. Having said that, I've been more than impressed with the $60 license for BlueIris than I have been of many other VMS companies. Not only in the capability provided for the cost, but also the support provided. Granted, the user base is growing and they've recently started doing fee based yearly support, but I've sent in support emails in the past and typically get responses (non-canned) in anywhere from 2-12 hours. You typically don't see that level of support for a $60 software product. About a month ago, a co-worker upgraded to the lasted version of the Andriod app and it killed his live streaming video - he has a Note2 (released 2012) and there was a device compatibility issue. He used the app to submit a report about it. Within about 2 hours, there was another update published and the issue was resolved. Also, worth nothing, is that all documentation is contained in the programs Help menu... and it's well documented; like the information I quoted above. Again, something you don't typically find at that price point.

I've had to go through the chain of custody before and I've had a few VMS fail and be challenged. So far there is only one manufacturer that can say they've NEVER lost a integrity case, Verint.

Axis' software is free also, full featured and the licensing portion is covered when you buy a camera through a true vendor and not a reseller.

That said, I don't think I like the BI codec way of doing it. Would have to see how the software actually functions. What form of back end? SQL?

DELInstallations said:
That said, I don't think I like the BI codec way of doing it. Would have to see how the software actually functions. What form of back end? SQL?

I'd have to do some digging to find out. We've just moved into our [new to us] house about 2 months ago and I don't have mine up and running to check... and honestly never looked into it before. Again though, I don't use the BI format myself either - because the added amount of CPU usage it creates. Not enough reward for me.

drvnbysound said:
Did you enable Direct-To-Disc recording with BlueIris?
I don't think so. For now I'm sticking with Milestone. I like the retrieval system more. One issue is slightly annoying though. Scheduling doesn't have a +- sunset/sunrise option.

Hello. I just wondering why you don't use the built-in server on Hikvision camera ? You can put micro-sd card and record directly on the camera. There is Nas sharing too.

I have 5 of them and it run fine on my iPad. Even with VPN.

A VMS does much more than Hikvision camera recording software. The biggest feature is software can coalesce event and video data across all cameras. If you want to see what happened at 7:59 at your house, you can easily pull the video from all cameras. In addition, smart client viewer can show all cameras in the same screen.

If you have only 1-2 Hikvision cameras, then a VMS is probably overkill.

In addition, Hikvision cameras only support 64GB sdcard, so archival is restricted depending on your recording schedule. I did install a sdcard and configured my cameras to continuously record - just in case connection to server is lost.

Thank you for reply. I was thinking that vms was only good for mixing different type of brand.

I only use nvr when come to more than 4 cam.

Will test at my next install.

Have a good year

Regards

d.dennerline said:
A VMS does much more than Hikvision camera recording software. The biggest feature is software can coalesce event and video data across all cameras. If you want to see what happened at 7:59 at your house, you can easily pull the video from all cameras. In addition, smart client viewer can show all cameras in the same screen.

If you have only 1-2 Hikvision cameras, then a VMS is probably overkill.

In addition, Hikvision cameras only support 64GB sdcard, so archival is restricted depending on your recording schedule. I did install a sdcard and configured my cameras to continuously record - just in case connection to server is lost.

+1.

For me, the value of the on-board SD recording is really only in the event that the home is broken into and the DVR itself is stolen. I've known of this happening where the thief knew there were cameras and he found the DVR and took it. The issue was that he had no idea that video was also being recorded on the cameras themselves, which he didn't bother taking. FTP is an obvious alternative, but it's not easy to have 24/7 off-site storage.

Back