monitoring fire sprinkler system

v1rtu0s1ty

ok folks, a guy from the fire department came over to fix a leak in the valve. He also taught me how I will flush it. Anyways, he told me that I can hook it up to a security system. Right now, it's only hook up to the strobe outside that the builder installed. So, how can I monitor the fire sprinkler if it goes off? I can take a picture of it tonight once I reach home.

Thanks,

Neil

There is some type of switch closure that is triggering the strobe, it will likely be 110 volts. Tap off of it with your own 110 volt relay and send the relays switch closure to the M1.

Many are not 100 Vac. I have seen a lot of low voltage rated water flow switches (and low voltage strobes as well).

I was basing it on my fire sprinkler system that is currently being installed. No low voltage, all 110 VAC.

I remember he mentioned that it uses low voltage. And it gets tripped when water starts flowing. He said it's similar to a shut-off valve.

Most Sprinkler Flow Valves have a double throw double pole switch in them.One side 110v for the bell or gong and the other can be used for low voltage contact trips & the ELK.

alarmguy said:
Most Sprinkler Flow Valves have a double throw double pole switch in them.One side 110v for the bell or gong and the other can be used for low voltage contact trips & the ELK.
Yes, mine has a bell too and we were able to make it sound when we went to the sump pump by flushing the water from the fire sprinkler pipes. And he also told me that the strobe also turned on.

Will it help if I open up the red cover and take a picture, then post it here?

And also, what would be the best way to monitor the fire sprinkler system? I don't want to contact the CS if I will only be flushing the water out of the pipe every 6 months or 1 year. But also, we know that fire sprinklers are always on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

v1rtu0s1ty said:

And also, what would be the best way to monitor the fire sprinkler system? I don't want to contact the CS if I will only be flushing the water out of the pipe every 6 months or 1 year. But also, we know that fire sprinklers are always on.

I would like to see the picture. It will probably help me with my installation. Just put your M1 in test mode with NextAlarm and bypass that zone while you flush the lines. For the rest of the year put it in a 24 hour fire zone notification mode.

rfdesq said:
v1rtu0s1ty said:

I would like to see the picture. It will probably help me with my installation. Just put your M1 in test mode with NextAlarm and bypass that zone while you flush the lines. For the rest of the year put it in a 24 hour fire zone notification mode.
Cool, I will look up those terminologies you mentioned in the manual. :lol:

Here are the pictures Robert. Also. it's hooked up to a 110v line.

sprinkler1.jpg

sprinkler2.jpg

sprinkler3.jpg

sprinkler4.jpg

sprinkler5.jpg

diagram1.jpg

diagram2.jpg

Thanks Neil. My initial concern, and not that it can't be overcome, is the 110 volt AC. You don't want to introduce 110 anywhere near the M1. Also, at least in California, if you run 110 and low voltage together the low votage wire has to be rated for the higher voltage. Think this one out carefully.

Can't you just hook up the terminals where it says "open circuit closes on alarm" and EOL/Fire Alarm? That should give you the contact closure that can be monitored with an Elk zone input. Or am I not following the question?

You might want to consider isolating the 100 V from the low voltage wiring by using a relay etc powered by 110 v and use teh dry contacts for the alarm panel.

If you take the 110 Vac that feeds the bell (off the contact on the flow switch) and power an outlet next to this the outlet would only be live on alarm. Then plug in a wall wart that has a low voltage output. That output will be isolated from the 110 by the wall wart. Next have a realy powered by the wall wart so when the flow switch trips you energize teh realy tripping the panel into alarm.

For testing and servicing the sprinkler you just unplug the wall wart.

As your 1st picture shows the empty contacts on the flow valve across from the AC wires. And your last picture shows the diagram. I agree with BSR your fire zone wiring on the ELK would go across the N/O terminals and your 2200ohm res will go there also. You now, upon flow from the valve, have a short on ALARM from the flow valve, which will put the ELK in fire zone in ALARM, and the circuit is supervised all the way back to the ELK with the EOL resistor. If you are worried about 110V put your VOM across the N/O contacts and check. Then cause flow in the valve and see if you have closure. If NO A/C and yes to closure you are good to go.

Back