More LED bulb options

I am guessing it's time to create a 'List' for bulbs which are HA/Dimmer friendly. Add the ability to filter based on lumens etc, I think it might be pretty useful. What do you guys think?

Sounds good to me- I haven't strated buying them yet, but I've been trying to keep an eye on the various discussions.

I am guessing it's time to create a 'List' for bulbs which are HA/Dimmer friendly. Add the ability to filter based on lumens etc, I think it might be pretty useful. What do you guys think?

Sounds good to me- I haven't strated buying them yet, but I've been trying to keep an eye on the various discussions.

That sounds like a great idea. Can it be done in a format that is easier to update than a forum thread? A nice spreadsheet table would be great with ability to include more than one opinion on each bulb. Or perhaps a spreadsheet where each bulb has a link to a thread that is only opinions about that bulb (as if the topic won't wander :) )

A list would be awesome. I've been hunting for replacements for my gu10 can's as i have about 10 of them but dont' want to buy some then kick myself when i shouldof bought something else.

Lou, I was thinking about using the existing (but new) Lists feature I just launched. I'll make it easy for people to report/suggest changes, but this way it's easy to manage.

If everyone is ok with that, let's start with figuring out what kind of info we want in there, right now, I have the following fields:

• model
  • manufacturer
  • sku
  • light output in lumens
  • light output in watts
  • power consumption (watts)
  • dimmable (yes/no/partial)
  • price (average)

What other features do we want to include?

Lou, I was thinking about using the existing (but new) Lists feature I just launched. I'll make it easy for people to report/suggest changes, but this way it's easy to manage.

That's a fantastic idea! Could it include approximate dimensions and links to online dealers, along with all of the other specs that you plan on including?

Pictures maybe.

I believe right now they are all standard based E26 base bulbs (correct me if I am wrong). ("A" , "BR" and "R" shape)

Other common USA standards bulbs are: E12 and E17 but I don't know how fast or if we'll see any of those yet.

Interesting but the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 only mentions the medium Edison screw type bulb (E26) and all others being "specialty" bulbs.

If everyone is ok with that, let's start with figuring out what kind of info we want in there, right now, I have the following fields:

• model
  • manufacturer
  • sku
  • light output in lumens
  • light output in watts
  • price (average)

Perhaps rated hours. Most LED's are 50k hours but I have seen some that are fewer. Of course, the rated hours may be a bunch of hooey, I have had many a cfl that didn't last anything like the 10k hours or so they claim.

So does this work by the moderator adding new bulbs to the list with the specs and letting forum users write their experience?

the user reviews/comments is something I am working on for all Lists. It's a little bit more complicated because I need to interface the forum account database (or it would force users to sign up for yet another account). I can make it so users can easily submit these specs via a pre-defined form to the DB and a mod will approve it, or the user can just send a link pointing to the bulb, and I'll fill in all the blanks.

Have you seen the existing lists?

Apologies Dan; never looked at the "lists"; so I wasn't sure what you meant.... relating to less work for you it would be better for the user to access the specs relating to a pre-defined form....on the other hand I am not sure how many users would spend the time to do this so the lists might be somewhat empty....

• model
  • manufacturer
  • sku
  • light output in lumens
  • light output in watts
  • price (average)

Color temp and I look for something called CRI (Color Rendering Index) Color rendering describes how well the light renders colors in various objects. 100 is perfect, less than 76 is good, less than 60 is poor. Personally I prefer 80 or higher.

I say remove "light output in watts" because they tend to lie on that one. Maybe lumens per watt would be a good one to calculate out, and you might want to include voltage and form factor (unless you are only going to cover 120V bulbs) and base (Edison, pin, GU24, etc.)

For example, the CREE LR-6 uses 10.5watts, 62 lumens per watt, CRI is 90, Color temp is 2700K or 3500K, base is Edison or GU24, Life 50,000 hours.

CRI info seems to be hard to locate for many bulbs, the rest is covered. I'll try posting a sample entry soon.

Back