More LED bulb options

On Long Island I just checked a store and still $35 each. Store #1285 if that helps you get the price to $35 from $49

Digger, Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

So, I decided to call around and find some information out and here is the scoop.

The local utilities in certain areas subsidize the cost of certain bulbs and that is what is happening at Store 1285.

Relay,

Could you post your store location information so that I can do some more "research"?

Thanks

I went to the HD in North Port and Englewood FL and they are $49.97. More info on the clearance would be great. Thanks

Kevin

Hi there,
Sorry for delay.

I bought 5 of them at Home Depot in Danvers MA. There were at least 6 more there on the shelf.
Please leave me one more if you go as I need one more :)
I just stopped by Home Depot in Waltham MA and they had nine so I bought all 9 for my other rooms.
Check other new England stores to see if others have the $19.99 price.

I called three HD's in my area and all three had $49.97 as the price. I guess that means they are moving fast enough here to not clearance them.

I called three HD's in my area and all three had $49.97 as the price. I guess that means they are moving fast enough here to not clearance them.
These are being offered by NSTAR (Eastern/Central MA utility) and National Grid (at least in the central mass area) according to the shelf tag. They are not being clearanced, rather they are being subsidized, just as you regularly find CFLs being subsidized (though not usually for $30 a bulb). I can confirm that these are $20 at the Shrewsbury, MA store. I bought about 40 (I have a lot of recessed lights) and they took a Lowe's 10% off mover's coupon no questions asked. They had another 10 cases (12 bulbs each) or so that I could see and they told me that they had another half pallet down in another spot. They work fine on my dimmers (30 year old, nothing special), no buzzing, no flickering except at very low levels. These are great, maybe 2 minutes to install each one. Way more light than the rated 65w, and they are soft white, rather than the ultra blue of some others.

These are being offered by NSTAR (Eastern/Central MA utility) and National Grid (at least in the central mass area) according to the shelf tag. They are not being clearanced, rather they are being subsidized, just as you regularly find CFLs being subsidized (though not usually for $30 a bulb). I can confirm that these are $20 at the Shrewsbury, MA store. I bought about 40 (I have a lot of recessed lights) and they took a Lowe's 10% off mover's coupon no questions asked. They had another 10 cases (12 bulbs each) or so that I could see and they told me that they had another half pallet down in another spot. They work fine on my dimmers (30 year old, nothing special), no buzzing, no flickering except at very low levels. These are great, maybe 2 minutes to install each one. Way more light than the rated 65w, and they are soft white, rather than the ultra blue of some others.

How about NY city area. I am here for the weekend and would buy a bunch and take them home. The savings might cover my air fare!

Welcome to CT, a very nice first post!

This seems to be a New England offer, so if you are in that 'area', please call your local HD ;) Hopefully utilities in other states will start offering the same offer soon.

Welcome to CT, a very nice first post!

This seems to be a New England offer, so if you are in that 'area', please call your local HD ;) Hopefully utilities in other states will start offering the same offer soon.

Check out these also:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.42135

It requires a bit of building, but in one of the comments on this item, it tells you the part numbers you need to build something (power supply, reflector plate, diffuser, and you'll need a heatsink). I was thinking of doing these for garage lights. Note that if you search for "emitter plate" you can find some REALLY powerful ones, close to 10,000 lumens.

They also have some outdoor flood lights, something that I've been completely unable to find here in the US:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.49754

My current outdoor floods take over 1200 watts right now, and this would reduce my power usage to around 60 watts for all of them. I leave them all on at night for security purposes. My outdoor lights cost me around $21 a month to run. These things would pay for themselves in about 10 months.

Just an FYI I've installed a pair of lights of america 4W GU10 LED lights I bought from sams club's auction site (got them for like $11 shipped). I replaced 2 of my 3 lights with these and they're just as bright as the 50w ones. Also they're dimming fine on both a Luxtron(I think) IR dimmer and my Insteon KPL. These lights say they're non-dimmable on the box. I'm assuming they're dimming because i still have 1 50w halogen with the 2 4w LED's. They dim just about perfectly with the halogen.

Back