More LED bulb options

I picked up an ecosmart cree cr6 light at Home Depot this weekend to test it out. So far I have been extremely impressed. Things I like:

1. It is solidly built, and was very easy to install
2. The light is great. The 2700K color temperature is pretty much identical to the 4 65W incandescent cans next to it. The CR6 appears brighter too.
3. It works just fine with my Web Mountain SW-7 UPB dimmer. The circuit has 4 65W cans plus the CR6 on it. 20% is solid and about the same brightness as the incandescents. At 15%, it flickers very very slightly. 10% it is basically off, flickering just a little bit. 5% it is off.
4. In theory, I won't have to change lightbulbs for 20 years+. My ceilings are 12' so it isn't easy.

Things I'm neutral on:
1. As the CR6 dims, it stays the same 2700K. The incandescents become more orange as the dim down.
2. The trim is bright white. It might be too white for my room, but I'm still deciding. My other cans are black with a white rim. It looks like there are optional trim kits, and that they will cost ~$20 (which seems pricey).

I think this is the future... assuming the price comes down substantially. I really don't see any downsides, other than price.

Has anyone tried removing this conversion kit? The reason I ask is for the holidays we like to put in colored lights in the outside high hats and we would not want to lose that capability. I also dont want to be struggling on a ladder in the cold taking out the LED conversion kit to put the colored lights in.

BTW I was at HD and they are only $35 less 10% if you use your HD card.

The CR6 lights just twist and drop down and out. Not too bad. The issue is that to intsall them you have to remove the edison base socket plate and the wing nut that holts the plate in. You would have to reinstall the plate and the trim ring to have a finished look.

The CR6 lights just twist and drop down and out. Not too bad. The issue is that to intsall them you have to remove the edison base socket plate and the wing nut that holts the plate in. You would have to reinstall the plate and the trim ring to have a finished look.

I suspected that was the case looking at the fixture in HD but their sales people were useless. As long as I can easily re-install the plate I guess its not to big of a deal. The trim ring takes a few seconds to install.

Thanks for replying!

They are definitely helpless...The Ecosmart Retrofit has a Cree "Truewhite" sticker on the side says CR6 on the lip that contacts the ceiling. All the help would have to do would take a little pride in what they do and LOOK at the product they sell...

I does vary by location though. I know a person that I used to play soccer with years ago that works at another HD branch. They took a suggention and there is now a demo CR6 on one of the end caps in a rennovation can with a Lutron remote slide dimmer set up and ready to go, ready to be played with.

Now that's how you sell a product and reduce the concerns that most people have about new lighting technologies. Let them play with it.

They are definitely helpless...The Ecosmart Retrofit has a Cree "Truewhite" sticker on the side says CR6 on the lip that contacts the ceiling. All the help would have to do would take a little pride in what they do and LOOK at the product they sell...

I does vary by location though. I know a person that I used to play soccer with years ago that works at another HD branch. They took a suggention and there is now a demo CR6 on one of the end caps in a rennovation can with a Lutron remote slide dimmer set up and ready to go, ready to be played with.

Now that's how you sell a product and reduce the concerns that most people have about new lighting technologies. Let them play with it.

They have the same type demo by me but when I asked if they knew what it takes to remove the conversion kit and put back a regular bulb for the holiday lighting they just had a blank stare LOL.

At $35 each they are not to bad of a price.

I suspected that was the case looking at the fixture in HD but their sales people were useless. As long as I can easily re-install the plate I guess its not to big of a deal. The trim ring takes a few seconds to install.

Thanks for replying!

If you do get them, you might think about getting some colored gels instead of swapping the lamps in and out. Easier, and as a side benefit you get the energy savings all year long.

If you do get them, you might think about getting some colored gels instead of swapping the lamps in and out. Easier, and as a side benefit you get the energy savings all year long.

You could probably also just make your own with some acrylic and cellophane, if you're feeling handy.

They also have some Ecosmart screw in PAR bulbs. These are rebranded LSG Definity bulbs. I bought a bunch of them a few weeks ago, and I love them. $45 for the PAR38's, $40 for the PAR30's. Light is clean and crisp, with just a hint of yellow. No greenish tinge like the Feit PerformanceLED's that I replaced, and they were way cheaper. They are dimmable also, but I have not tested this yet since I had replaced all of my switches to support those Feit bulbs.

The light output is insane. They say they are 65W equivalent, but they are brighter than my old 75W Ushio halogens.

There's another company coming out with some dirt cheap ones here pretty soon. $20 for a PAR30 at around 700 lumens. I'll let you guys know when I find out more. I should have some prototypes coming pretty soon.

FYI: I just stopped by Home Depot to check out the Cree (Ecosmart) CR6 retrofit LED bulbs.
No demo unit but they were on sale or clearance for $19.99. At that price, I bought 5 to try them out and see how they work for me.

FYI: I just stopped by Home Depot to check out the Cree (Ecosmart) CR6 retrofit LED bulbs.
No demo unit but they were on sale or clearance for $19.99. At that price, I bought 5 to try them out and see how they work for me.

WHERE AT?????????

I am trying to decipher what is the cause of the significant price change.

Is it that the HD stores with the lower prices are smaller stores and didn't move a lot of these and are getting rid of them?

Or are they keeping them and just dropping the price?

I called two of the stores near me and they both have them for $49.97

I too would buy the rest of the stores inventory at $20 a pop. At that price I would need about 15 to 20 for the house and would even consider using them in the garage I am building, about another 20 or so.

I always seem to miss out on the really good deals...no matter how "connected" I stay.

Just to confirm, we are talking about SKU 499-485 Right?

If so if you guys could post the store location or store number if you know it, it would be greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

You guys are lucking out. I have called 12 stores in th PA and NY areas and they are all showing 49.97 everywhere

Back