Mositure Sensor Readings

FrankMc

Hi Eric

I was wondering whats the best way to bench test the moisture sensors and what values i should expect to read back from them.......Currently im just doing a dry reading and then soaking in a glass of water .....trying to incorporate support form them in my probe hardware....

Thanks
Frank

Hi Eric

I was wondering whats the best way to bench test the moisture sensors and what values i should expect to read back from them.......Currently im just doing a dry reading and then soaking in a glass of water .....trying to incorporate support form them in my probe hardware....

Thanks
Frank

Frank,

That is what I do to bench test them. Just recognize that unless you live in the desert you will probably never see completely dry and unless you live in a flood plain you will probably never see completely soaked either.

What software are you using to get the readings? I will try to find where I logged the reading I got when I was testing the Watermark sensor.

Eric

Hi Eric

>That is what I do to bench test them. Just recognize that unless you live in the desert you will >probably never see completely dry and unless you live in a flood plain you will probably never >see completely soaked either

Understood.......Im thinking maybe put one in a pot with soil and soak it and have another pot with reasonably dry soil and just monitor the daily reading for a while ..

>What software are you using to get the readings?

I was using the OPN-ONE Device which has recently started supporting the moisture sensor....

Im also trying to add support for the moisture into my Probe Hardware and was wondering which registers should i be reading the data from ..current register or voltage register..???

Thanks
Frank

Im also trying to add support for the moisture into my Probe Hardware and was wondering which registers should i be reading the data from ..current register or voltage register..???

Frank,

You should read the current register.

Eric

Frank,

Eric

Thanks Eric

Frank

PS.....Received my order today ;-) Many thanks for the very fast service to Oz .......

Hi Eric

Was wondering if you were able to locate your reading you recorded while testing the watermark sensor....

I have been trying to add support for the moisture sensor into my Probe System and i noticed that i was only getting approx 5 to 7 mV difference is reading two sensors one which was installed in a pot with dry soil and another in a pot with soil which is saturated with water...I naturally assumed i had a bug in my code ...

I have now connected the same watermark sensors to my OPN-ONE device and im getting similiar readings....the dry pot is reporting -23.98mV and the saturated pot is currently reading
-30.16mV......Was wondering if these tally with your findings...

Any feedback much appreciated...

Thanks
Frank

Hi Eric

Were you able to find your readings you recorded of the watermark sensor ???

Thanks
Frank

Frank,

Eric

Thanks Eric

Frank

PS.....Received my order today ;-) Many thanks for the very fast service to Oz .......

Hi Eric

Was wondering if you were able to locate your reading you recorded while testing the watermark sensor....

I have been trying to add support for the moisture sensor into my Probe System and i noticed that i was only getting approx 5 to 7 mV difference is reading two sensors one which was installed in a pot with dry soil and another in a pot with soil which is saturated with water...I naturally assumed i had a bug in my code ...

I have now connected the same watermark sensors to my OPN-ONE device and im getting similiar readings....the dry pot is reporting -23.98mV and the saturated pot is currently reading
-30.16mV......Was wondering if these tally with your findings...

Any feedback much appreciated...

Thanks
Frank

My experience with the sensor were discussed on the Homeseer board a year or two ago. Take a look at http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...6&a...age=3&pp=20 starting in the neighborhood of post #50 to observe the type of response you can expect from this gypsum moisture probe and sensor.

Michael,

This is a different sensor. What you tested was our in house Gypsum Soil Sensors. We no longer sell those, this is the Watermark soil sensor made by the Irrometer company. The results of your test would possibly be the same with this sensor but the Watermark sensor is the one used by many professional farmers so it is probably better built than our in house version was :)

Eric

Back