my.Elk 2.3

Due to some personal issues I had to take care of, I haven't had any time to work on any of my projects right now, but hopefully I will be able to start working on them again sometime this week. Was there any specific feature you were looking for?

Nothing I can think of at the moment, but when you mentiond Ver 2 in an earlier post you really got my interest as I'm a big fan of the script!

Care to share what you're thinking of adding?

electron,

I have downloaded the script and am attempting to use it, but have some newbie questions:

1. I have studied your my.elk.ini template but do not understand exactly what it means. For example in the "zone001=x1" statement should the "zone001" be replaced by the nanm of my zone such as "Front Door"? What does the "x1" stand for?

2. When I run the my.elk.txt("zs","") command is the status display in HS supposed to update? I didn't see any updates.

3. Is the my.elk.txt("OpenSerialPort","") script supposed to do anything other than open the srial port? In other words is there any user related output from this command?

Sorry for what are probably stupid questions but it is late and my brain is kind of like mush at this point.

Thanks.

1. "zone001" refers to the zone number in the M1. I don't think a name would work, but I haven't tried it. The "x1" refers to the device code (aka address or housecode/unitcode) within HomeSeer. For example, my ini file has zone001 to zone032 mapped to x1 to x32 so I have 32 lines in that section.

2. the "zs" update command should put a line in your HomeSeer log for each zone. for example, I get 32 lines of updates. They just show up as the usual info "exec command:...". If your HS devices were already correct, then no, you would not see anything change in an HS status or device list. If a few zones had changed, then yes, you would see them get updated, but that is pretty subtle.

3. No, there is no important output from opening the serial port. Whenever I open the serial port, I immediately do a "zs" to refresh.

The script works great, don't be afraid to ask any more questions. Just don't forget to disconnect from RP or the script is unable to run. (been there, done that)

WayneW said:
1. "zone001" refers to the zone number in the M1. I don't think a name would work, but I haven't tried it. The "x1" refers to the device code (aka address or housecode/unitcode) within HomeSeer. For example, my ini file has zone001 to zone032 mapped to x1 to x32 so I have 32 lines in that section.
Wayne, thanks for the info. In order to make sure I understand...

I had previously run the ELK-M1 plugin and it had created entries in HS2 for all of my M1 zones. For example:

Zone-Name in HS2- HS2 Device Code
========================
--Elk M1 Status-[1
--Elk M1 Button Press-[2
01-Front Door-[3
02-Study Window-[4

So in the script would my .ini file be:

[my.elk.zones]
zone001=[3
zone002=[4

What about the entries for "Elk M1 Status" and "Elk M1 Button Press"? Do they need to be defined in the .ini file?

Thanks.

I created a little application which will disconnect (not close!) ElkRP from the Elk M1 unit. It's easy to forget to disconnect ElkRP from the M1, and forgetting to disconnect would stop my.Elk (or any other Elk driver) from communicating with the M1, which can become a problem. It's up to your imagination to decide when to execute this program, but if you need help or suggestions, let me know.

Attachments

• DisconnectElkRP.exe_
    115.1 KB · Views: 205
Here is an example of how to use the DisconnectElkRP.exe software with Homeseer. In my case, I assigned virtual device x75 to output 106 in the my.Elk ini file. You create one rule in ElkRP, and 1 event in Homeseer. That's it.

ElkRP:
  • Create a rule which will toggle output 106 every 2 minutes.
Homeseer:
  • Create an event, using "By condition" as the trigger type.
  • Configure it so it says "If x75 has been on for at least 10 minutes".
  • Click the "Next OR group", and create the same rule, but this time use OFF, so it would say "If x75 has been off for at least 10 minutes".
  • Click the App/Sound/Email tab, and point the Application Path to wherever you saved your DisconnectElkRP.exe.
  • I also configured the email settings, so it will send me an email whenever it a disconnect is forced.
  • I strongly recommend you also set the "Cannot retrigger for ___ seconds" option to 10 minutes, in case there is a different issue.
I used Homeseer in this example, but you should be able to replicate this functionality with other home automation software packages, since the concept itself doesn't change.

posted version 2.1:

added delay to the sync command, in case the serial port isnt responding instantly. Also added support for syncronizing the control outputs. Changed some logic in the zones & outputs syncronizing, so it will only force a virtual device update if the status of the zone or output is not the same. my.Elk can now detect when ElkRP is connected to the M1.

Back