My Theater Project

Rupp,

No, it's easy to cut and splice. The "spools" are a kit which include splicers, power cords, etc.

I ran power in PVC conduit, painted white, up beside a downspout. It then elbows and runs about 25 feet across the front of the porch (concealed from the street by an overhang).

I have three X10 outlets (8 ft spacing) and the rope light is powered by one of the X10 outlets. I also have an X10 wideangle cam mounted looking down and over to the front door.

I ran my power in the conduit to put in "infrastructure" for my holiday lighting, for exanple, each outlet is over one of the porch columns that I "candy cane" with red rope lighting for Christmas, red, white and blue for 4th July, orange at Holloween, etc.

I have a lot of 110v lines buried thouhout the premiter of my lawn with outlets in weather proof boxes, and the deep covers, popping up in areas concealed by shrubbry. (I told you I was "one of those") ;)

Well, This project is taking longer than i expected. Mainly due to my available time to work on it and money. Since everything is being custom fabricated and i am constantly having to borrow my fathers tools it makes the job go very slow.

But there has been a break though. I just got back from N.C. for the second time and made enough money while down there to move forward with the theater. Here is what i have so far...

2 days ago i ran all the electricity wires from the breaker panel to the projector and into the closet next to the stage. From that closet it splits off and goes to my Desktop PC and under the stage. So now i have a dedicate 15amp power source for my Projector, PC, and all my theater Equipment. I did this because i was afraid of overloading my wires and burning down my house.

Yesterday i ran three component video cables(RBG). They run from a ceiling mounted wall plate with 3 RCA jacks... thought the ceiling and into the closet. From there they go under the stage and get plugged into the output of my Sony A/V Receiver. I bought a very nice tool that makes putting RCA ends on as simple as striping the wire and squeezing the handle. It makes a nice clean and strong connection. The tool is call a compression crimper. It does F(cable connector), BNC, and RCA for wires ranging from RG59, RG6, RG6U and RG6 Quad Shield. The Crimper was $50 but I'm sure you can find it cheaper on the internet. And the connectors are gold(For Looks) and a little pricey. I think they were $17 for a pack of 6. Again... I am sure you can find them on the net for cheaper.

You can find the Crimper and Connectors at
www.platinumtools.com
But i would shop around before buying right from them. I bought mine from a local distributor.

Also yesterday my 20ft digital optical audio came in from buy.com At first i thought it was my speakers from automated outlet sitting on my porch in a box that was about 3' X 3' x 2'. It could have easily fit my 4 in ceiling speakers but inside was nothing but a bunch of paper. At the very bottom i found a small plastic package that contained my 20ft cable.

Buy.com had a great price on this cable. $16.76
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10356114

Most places wanted that much for a 3' cable. 20 feet it just a little too short so i think I'm going to order a few couplers and probably another 20ft cable so i can route the cable in the ceiling instead of on the floor.

I hope to have some pictures for you guys soon but the basement area is a mess and i want to clean it up a little so you can start to see what the final product will look like.

TO DO:
Run 1 RCA composite video from my PC to the Receiver
Finish wiring the electrical outlets under the stage and behind the PC
**Build Custom Housing to hold all my Components and two front speakers.
**Cut holes and install 4 - 6.5 inch in ceiling speakers from AutomatedOutlet.com

cool, nice to see things are working out well. Did you try the custom made component cable yet? I paid 30 bucks for 8ft just a few weeks ago, didn't know you could juse run 3 rca wires instead.

Have not tested it yet. It was late last night when i finished and i wanted to goto bed happy. That would not have happend if it didnt work :)

Im sure it will work tho. I did a little research and found that component cables are made from RG59 and RG6 Cable. I was told by a guy with about 15years experience in a electronics supply store(not radio shack) That i would only need the RG6 if i was running more than 50ft. Im running about 25 to 30ft so i went with the cheaper RG59.

Hopefully ill get my DVD/VCR combo hooked up tonight and should be watching Live tv on my projector before i goto bed. Ill let you know how it works out

Back