myKeypad - thermostat arrows?

wmcneil

I am using the android myKeypad application (acutally the Pro version) with my Elk M1EZ8 control and HAI RC1000 thermostats. On the myKeypad thermostat menu the current temperature is displayed at the top, and immediately to the right of the displayed temperature, there is a red up arrow, and a blue down arrow. Pressing these causes the displayed temperature to increase, or decrease, respectively, but does not cause the heat or cool setpoints to change (that is done with the thermometer icons further down on the menu). So what setting is being changed by pressing these arrows?

I have contacted the developer, and asked him to explain what the intended function of the blue and red arrow functions is. He initially chose to not answer the question directly, rather he referred me to the M1 ASCII Protocol reference. In a follow up email he stated the following:

"It is our opinion that it directly changes the requested temperature of the thermostat. We cannot say with absolute certainty what function it performs as we don't have a real system to test with and no customers have reported issues or suggestions regarding it until you."

Here is what is in the protocol reference:

The ELK M1 ASCII Protocol Specification has the following note in the Revision history:
Rev. 1.6.8 – 5/2/2008 – Added in “ts” ASCII thermostat command the ability to set the thermostat temperature from a controller with a thermostat connected to it.

The documentation for the command states the following (4.35.3):
3 = Current Temperature setting from controller with thermostat else not used. Version 5.1.6

If anyone has knowledge of what this M1 ASCII function (4.35.3 Set Thermostat Data (ts) with E==3) is intended to do, it would be helpful. Note that there are other commands for setting the heat(E==5) and cool(E==4) setpoints, so one would assume this function is supposed to do something other than that?

I tend to wonder which thermostats that ASCII function applies to, as the serial expander supports several. For the record I am using RCS TR60's and it does not appear to have any effect.

Back