Need advice on ELK M1 Automation Hardware

gasbie

Hello All,
I need an advice on the following hardware. I'm in the process of integrating a rain sensor to my elk m1 system so that if I have my windows open, and the sensor detect rain, it will remind me to close windows. I also need advice on wired current sensor that I can use to monitor appliances like my dish washer, washer and dryer. So please advice on the best hardware out there with the latest technology that will fulfill my mission for the following:

Rain Sensor
Current Sensor for washer, dryer, dish washer. 
Light (sunset) sensor to raise up shades .

For current sensors, look at devices like these:

Functional Devices RIBXG

Veris Current Switches

Johnson Controls Current Sensors

Senva Current Switches

Note that these all have set points which vary, and some are adjustable.  You'll need to experiment with each appliance to decide what the right set point is.  Also, as the appliance goes through its different cycles, it may drop below the set point you've chosen, giving you a false "finished" indication.  You may be able to deal with this by increasing the sensitivity (more loops of wire through the sensor), or through rules on the Elk that require the current to drop for a period of time, say 10 minutes, before it decides that the appliance is finished running.

For a rain sensor I am just using a orbit sensor from Lowes configured as Normally Closed.

Personally tried the Rain bird rain sensor and the Hydreon Optical rain guage and sensor.  The use was for irrigation and weather station stuff.

Purchased two of the Hydreon sensors in a 2 for 1 sale.  One to compare its use to a Rain Tipping bucket and the other just for rain sensing.

Rain sensing (adjustable and worked with fog) worked great while the tipping bucket measurements were so so. 

Rain Gage - Optical Rain Sensor with relay interface

hydreon.jpg

Back