Need Advice on X-10 Coupler/Repeater

BraveSirRobbin

My garage gets above 110 deg F, especially late afternoon after both vehicles are parked inside. Unfortunately, this is the only place I can easily get 220 volt (near my breaker panel) for mounting my X-10 coupler repeater.

I had purchased an ACT Coupler Repeater, but after three years of operating, it failed last night.

I believe it is heat related because after turning the power off of it and opening the garage door to let cool air in it started to work (once power was reapplied).

So, my question is what coupler repeater do you have good luck with? Hopefully it can take the warm environment I will be installing it in.

I know there is a Leviton and an X-10 version that seem popular.

HERE is the link to the X-10 one I was thinking about.

HERE is the link to the Leviton one.

I really liked the ACT, but I remember having some trouble with it during last summer also. ;)

Thanks,

BSR

Wouldn't extending the 220v line into a cooler part of the house and relocating the coupler be a simpler and cheaper solution then replacing the coupler? From what I've read in the past, the ACT coupler was one of the best to begin with. Heat is a general problem that affects all electronics so a new coupler might not be better off.

I have read good things about XTB (X10 transmit buffer) which will increase reliability of X10 without the use of coupler or repeater. I have placed my order and would do my own testing and report back to this group.

BSR,
I've used the Leviton HCA02 for almost 7 years without fail. It's mounted on the wall beside my circuit panel (yes it's not to code). There have been heated debates in the past on the best C/R but I've had perfect X10 communications in my 2800sq ft home since installing this in the circuit panel.

Interesting that you mention the Leviton HCA02 as working fine, because this particular coupler has been identified many times as being a source of problems with standard dim commands. Rupp, are you using standard dims a lot, or are you mostly using preset dims or scenes?

Guy,
I use standard dims exclusively. I only have a couple of devices that do preset dim and I've never dimmed these devices.

I have owned 2 ACT couplers. Both of them buzzed so loud they were unusable and I could find no way to quiet them down. (tried isolating the mounting with rubber washers etc.). Finally settled on a pair of Leviton HCA02 units.

Tried the plug-in SmartHome product briefly but stuff that worked with the Leviton did not work with the Smarthome unit in the same location, so I sent it back.

Leviton has been the most reliable for me. (Of course I was unhappy enough with my X-10 setup to move over to Insteon so maybe not a good point of reference.)

I had an IBM branded (relabeled Leviton) 3-phase coupler/repeater in FL in my uncooled garage. I did not have any heat issues for the 3-4 years I was using it and it got pretty hot in there, too.

I mounted it in a large plastic work box (I think it was about 8" square and 4" deep) made for outside wiring use, but drilled many 1/4" holes in it for air circulation at the bottom and top of the unit. I surface-mounted it next to the panel where I already had some surface-mounted outlets, and ran romex into it from the breakers in the main panel.

Biggest problem I had was loss of signal repeating if the electricity blinked just right (which happened often during hurricane season). All that took was turning the breakers off, then on again.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Thanks for the replies. I ordered the Leviton HCA02 from Martin of AutomatedOutlet.com.

Will let you know the results.

Thanks again,

BSR
Well so far I'm a little disappointed in the HCA02. When I installed it I noticed that it did not produce the same X-10 signal level as my ACT. (3.5 vs. 5 and that's from a dedicated outlet to the breaker box).

Also, I have been getting false house code "C" and "M" all on and all off signals. Of course "C" is my main house code (needless to say, WAF also pegged negative).

BSR,

Sent it back and get the XPCR. It's a much better unit. The ACT is very good too but has a bunch of features (at a higher price) that most people don't need in their house.

AutomatedOutlet said:
BSR,

Sent it back and get the XPCR. It's a much better unit. The ACT is very good too but has a bunch of features (at a higher price) that most people don't need in their house.
Also, I think you can use multiple XPCR units as long as you keep all the black wires on the same phase?

AutomatedOutlet said:
BSR,

Will do Martin, thanks! :D

BSR,

Martin,

Are you still recommending the XPCR for coupling or is there something better out there since this post? I'm testing out how X-10 will work in my house. I have a switch and PSC05 on the way from you. I also have some plugin modules. I want to test out how things work, but I'm preparing that I may need a coupler. Didn't know if you had any thoughts. I am also curious if anyone has a specific brand of X-10 switches/dimmers and receptacles they recommend.

Thanks for all your help.

Michael

Back