Need BTU data-logger (already have Istec 5202) for Solar HW. Is it possible to "split" the pulse or

politics123

Anyone up for a challenge?

I have a Solar HW heater (closed/drainback) system. I have a very nice Istec 5202 BTU system. It's a revenue-grade system that includes temperature sensors, highly accurate pulse-output flow meter, and the logic board, but a bit inflexible. I'd like to keep using the Istec because its rev-grade, but in addition would like to data-log real-time BTU production.

In addition to the Istec, I have a ton of 1-wire temp sensors on ever part of the Solar HW system.

Questions:
  • Any chance I can "split" the pulse coming from my Istec flow-meter and send the pulse to both the Istec 5202 and a separate (1-wire) datalogger? The flow-data, along with Delta-Temp from the 1-wires, can be used to create a real-time rough-estimate of BTUs generated.... which can then be logged somewhere
  • While I'm at it, any thoughts about "splitting" the 5202's temperature leads and coming up with more accuracy than the 1-wire temp sensors?
Thanks!

PS - The 5202 has some options, but none are particularly exciting:
  • I can manually look at the LCD display every so often and see BTUs. (Old School!)
  • The 5202 *can* log data to a chipcard, and for $1000 I could buy a chip-card reader, and every so often copy the data to a computer for upload. (90's tech)
  • Or, for $215 I can publish to M-Bus, build a PC M-Bus master, which I think will provide me access to "daily" BTU value. And finally, he 5202 will do a dry-contact pulse every 100,000 BTUs (that's several days worth of energy... not very real-time)
http://www.istec-corp.com/products/model-5202-calculating-unit.php

Back