Need help installing outdoor outlet ...

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, so I want to install another outlet in my exterior walls. The problem is, I want this to be a flush mount outlet, and I have vinyl siding. I am having trouble locating hardware that will let me do this. Home Depot had 1 of those J-Block type items, but those can only be installed when the siding hasn't been installed yet, and even then, it was the wrong color. I have been researching this for a few weeks now, and can't believe how little information there is on how to do this. I have full access to the inside of that exterior wall, so I am hoping I can find some good suggestions here. Thanks!

You may have to remove the siding down to the plug level. You are going to have to cut out around the siding anyway (if you want it flush) and removing it is the simplest way of doing this. It isn't hard to do, but just take your time and mark the siding as it comes down so you know what order to put it back in. You can probably pick up a siding removal tool at HD which will make the process easier.

Ok, so I want to install another outlet in my exterior walls. The problem is, I want this to be a flush mount outlet, and I have vinyl siding. I am having trouble locating hardware that will let me do this. Home Depot had 1 of those J-Block type items, but those can only be installed when the siding hasn't been installed yet, and even then, it was the wrong color. I have been researching this for a few weeks now, and can't believe how little information there is on how to do this. I have full access to the inside of that exterior wall, so I am hoping I can find some good suggestions here. Thanks!

Dan,
See if any of these will work for you.
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u181217

Brian: I guess I can remove the siding, I have installed siding before, I was hoping to avoid it, but now that I think about it, I might not have a choice. I still need to find this J-Block type trim in the right color.

Rupp: That's recessed, not flush mount, so I don't think this would work with the weather proof box I want to install on top of it. I did find some other useful stuff on that link tho, thanks for the tip!

Have you seen that stake in style boxes?

This might be another option, it's not a flush but I think they can be flush with the soil. Obviously they can be installed at the base of a shrub making them basically invisible.

I wound up spray painting my electrical boxes and also dryer vent outlets to match the siding. Six years so far the they still look fine.

Be careful. You may need an "in use" type cover depending on what the outlet will be used for. Most outdoor outlet covers are not the "in use" type (meaning they are not suitable to leave something plugged in all of the time such in bad weather).

a little confused with your use of "flush". . do you want the front or the back of the box "flush" (maybe surface mount or recessed mount are better terms)

Surface mounted would mean it sits on top of the siding, recessed means what rupp showed, so I can't mount a weatherproof box on it. By flush I mean that the surface of the outlet is even with the surface of the siding, similar to the product WorthDist pointed to. This is what my builder used (don't have a better pic):

jblock.jpg

My understanding is that if you leave something plugged into it, you need one of the big plastic lids that go over the cord and plug, so flush or not it still won't look very good.

If you buy one of the siding removal tools, you only need to take off the sections you will have to cut, I've used them to replace broken pieces of siding. The tool is basicaly a little hook that seperates the top of the siding where it snaps together. You then use it to put the last piece back in place. I bought mine at Home Depot for like $8.

Back