Need help on HAI OmniPro II

I got the PC Access up and running, and I was able to write to controller on few test setups I made up.  Few things:

1.  I put the UPB switch into program mode, but I still can't seem to set it up by pressing "CONFIG" from the touchscreen.  What am I missing?

2.  Can PC Access locate all the UPB switches in the house?  If not, can UPStart? 

3.  I had the outside temperature sensor working before,  Do I set that up from PC Access as well or from the touchscreen?

Thanks.

For 3, what kind of thermostat do you have?  When the outside temperature was working, where did you see the temperature readings?  On the thermostat?  Or on another display?

Generally UPStart is used to program the UPB switches.  Once that is done, you use PC Access to setup additional programming in the Omni to make them behave 'smarter'.  One way to get a feel for what needs to be done is to see what still works with your Omni to running.  The UPB switches can do a lot on their own, having the ability to control multiple loads depending on how they are configured.  Or multiple loads can be setup for control in the Omni.  It depends on how the original programming was done.

Since it's all new again, but the UPB is all programmed, it would probably be worth going through all the switches manually and documenting what works the way you want now, and making note of anything that stopped working when the Omni died.

Then people here can give you advice on the ways to make things work again.

Posted Today, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the reply cobra.  The thermostat is HAI Omnistat.  The outside temp was displayed on the LCD screen.

HAI Tstat.jpg

As for the UPB switches, it looks like they all still function properly, but just doesn't do the "Smarter" things like turn on sunset, then turn off at 1:00am, as it did before.  So for example, there is a switch that turns on the light by the stairs, and when I click it twice, it dims to 50%.  The original setting before the OPII blew up was to turn this light on at 7:00pm to 100%, and dim it at 10:00pm to 50%, then turn off at 1:00am.  I'm trying to configure so that this particular switch has a name, and that it is recognized by the OPII.  Once it is recognized, I know how to program the turn on, dim, and turn off functions as before, but I can't figure out how to get the OPII and the switches to communicate. 

I hope this is enough info to get the suggestions going.  Let me know if you need more info.

It is easier now if you do a bit of reading on your panel to get back where you were.

This will help you understand what you panel does and options you have installed et al.

Baby steps now.

OmniPro documentation

Pete,
It's been over a year since our chat, but after months of failed attempt at trying to get my system up and running, I gave up. However, recently, I found some documents in the basement that previous owner left. In the box, I found a CD with UPstart file, which basically is what the setup was before.

I was up til 3:00am last night trying to get this work, to no avail. I can't seem to get connection from my computer to PIM. I tried old laptop with RS232, as well as RS232 to USB adapter. I also tried with 3 different PIMs.

Just so that we are on the same page, here is what I did. I have the laptop with UPstart loaded with the previous owner's file, connected to the RS232 with cable (tried both 4 and 6 conductor) to PIM, which is plugged into the wall. Is there a better location for plugging the PIM? Closer to switch or closer to OPII? I then went to test connections. It tries COM1, then COM3, then gives error message saying cannot find any PIM. What am I doing wrong?

Assuming I get the connection established, what needs to happen after that? How do I get this UPB file uploaded into OPII? How do I get the names of the switch in the file to be assigned to each switch?

Sorry for the long drawn out text, but I'm so lost, so any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

What am I doing wrong?

dunno.

From the above it sounds like you are using or trying to use the HAI PIM. 

If you are using an HAI RS-232 to RJ connector with original 6 wire flat cable then it should work fine and easy.

If not then.

I would leave it alone for the time bean.  Don't get frustrated any more.

and

Purchase a second serial PIM (PCS or SA) with an RS-232 port on it and try again.

Amazon has both of them.

It is nice to have a spare around for programming the UPB switches.

Back