Need help on HAI OmniPro II

I got the omnipro board out.  Thanks again for the tip, Pete.....it was pretty straight forward. 

I could see the damage done by the power supply area.  The zener diode is cracked in half.  Hopefully, I turned it off quick enough, and nothing outside of power supply is damaged.  Just need to figure out where I need to send this out to.  I need to give Leviton a call.

BTW Pete, I live in North burbs, so by your description of where you are, it's probably about 1hr away.

Good news g13392.

Yes call up Leviton and AO and see what it is they charge for a repair of your board.  Guessing it is a fixed price; let us know.

You may want to upgrade the firmware while it is being repaired. 

Spoke with Leviton, and they said to fix the board, it's a flat fee of $200.  They aslo said they will update the firmware before I even mentioned it.  I'll post after I receive the board back, and power things back up.

Good news g13392.

How many batteries are connected?  Check each one even if they are new with a VOM.

While the board is out for repair, check the other subpanels connections.

Purchase PC Dealer Access.  Automated Outlet sells the software.  Martin above is the patriach of AO.

I have two batteries.  One for the Omnipro board, and the other for the expansion board.  The new batteries both read about 12.60V.

I did purchase the PC Access software 3 years ago.  I installed it on my laptop, but I couldn't get it to communicate.  I gave up  after tinkering with it for about a month.  I've been just using the previous onwer's programs and settings.  I feel like I own a ferrari, and I'm just driving around the parking lot.

Good news on the batteries and PC Access.  Guessing you purchased the dealer version of PC Access eh?

I am guessing too that you have at lease one keypad and a serial cable for communications to the panel eh?

What kind of lights does the panel talk to?  IE: X10, UPB, Z-Wave? 

Curious about what the OPII panel stuff did for you by default?

I mean it appears to be an elaborate setup with many bells and whistles and you did mention that you never changed the base configuration.

Sorry for the late reply.  I believe I purchased the dealer version of PC Access.  I just can't seem to find the disc now.  Have to do some more searching.

I have 3 LCD keypads, and I do see the serial cable connected to the panel.  This is where I connected the laptop to communicate.

As for the lights, it must be UPB.  I have UPB switches everywhere.

What the OPII did for us is turn on/off various lights throughout the house at certain time of the day.  We also used it to display the outside temp on the thermostat, which was nice.  I know there are other settings that are programmed, but didn't figure out the use for it.  There is also a 10 button switch mounted on the wall, but I can't figure out what they do, except for one that turns off all the lights in the basement.  Not sure what the other 9 buttons do.  So as I mentioned, there is a lot of programming I can't figure out, and what more I can do with the system.

Ahh...

PCA for dealer software will let you program you OmniPro panel.  PCA user software will not.

LCD keypads are easy peasy stuff.

Are you UPB switches all HAI?  If they are they might be connected to the OmniPro panel in HLC mode.  You can maybe have a look at them using UPStart and a spare UPB PIM and PC.  You will really need to know about the configuration on your panel.

I used to use UPB button controllers (you can program each button - room controller or scene controller).  These days I utilize multipaddle / dual load UPB wall switches.

8buttoncontroller.jpgrockers.jpg

The reason you can see outside temperatures on your thermostat is because you have an outdoor HAI temperature sensor. (or a combo).

Personally I would review every wire connected to each of the sub panels.  It'll be a PITA but it appears that you have a few outputs, zones, et al connected.  The lighting is easy. 

Having the configuration loaded in PCA will help you do this in a virtual sense.

Earlier I stated that it could be a dead short that happened due to a low battery.  You could have another issue too.

The panel is really built well relating to being redundant and resilient and made to last forever (literally).  Here I have shorted out one Omnitouch screen over the years and while it dinged the Omnitouch screen. The Omnitouch screen short never did do anything to the OmniPro panel.

I am concerned that I might have other issues.  I don't want to plug in the fixed board only to have it smoke again because of other issues that are not addressed.  What do you recommend to address any other issues with my system?

The HAI UPB 8-button switch is what I have (wasn't sure whether it was 8 or 10 when I was typing it up).  This is the controller I mentioned that I use to turn all the lights off in the basement with the push of a button.  It's nice, but would be nicer if I can utilize the other 7 to do something else.  I'm not sure if the UPB switches are HAI brand, but they all look like the one shown on your diagram, all the way at the right.

As for the wires to the OPII cabinet, some are labeled, while others are not.  I'm not sure how I will be able to figure out what all is connected.  I guess I need to find the PC Access disc, which I'm pretty sure it was the dealer version. 

BTW, I'm not sure if I misled you when I said 3 LCD keypad, but here is a picture of what I have.

Touchscreen1.jpg

Is this what you were thinking?

I am concerned that I might have other issues.  I don't want to plug in the fixed board only to have it smoke again because of other issues that are not addressed.  What do you recommend to address any other issues with my system?

Look at the cabling or wires going between the sub panels/boards and the main OmniPro 2 panel.  Download installation manuals for those boards.  Mark the cabling.

Guessing here is the manual for you 8 button switch.  It utilizes UPB links to control other switches.

38A00-2 HAI UPB™ 8-Button House Controller

As for the wires to the OPII cabinet, some are labeled, while others are not.  I'm not sure how I will be able to figure out what all is connected.  I guess I need to find the PC Access disc, which I'm pretty sure it was the dealer version.

You can very carefully test and utilize the OmniPro panel board just connecting power to it and using the network or a serial port to it.  DO NOT install the repaired OPII panel back in the can yet.

Baby steps here.  Read the installation manual.

I have done this before relating to programming and checking out an OmniPro 2 panel.

BTW, I'm not sure if I misled you when I said 3 LCD keypad, but here is a picture of what I have.

That is a serially connected Omnitouch 3.5 touchscreen.  That is the same touchscreen I messed up (bricked) switching some cables around a few years ago.

Is this the only device / console you have to enable your alarm etc?

Do you have any keypads around that look like this?

33AConsoleBackbox.gif

I found the disc, and it is Dealer Edition. Now I just have to wait for the board to be fixed.

Thanks for the link to the 8 button switch.  I'll give that a try when I have the things up and running.

Good news on the Dealer installation disk.  You will need the 4 digit master installation code. 

Depending on the original installer it may have been changed or left at default.

Read the OmniPro 2 specific to your model installation manual. 

It would help you a bit if you purchased an OmniPro keypad.  They are reasonably priced.

Pete_c,

I got the board back, carefully installed it back into the panel.  I tested each load to make sure there were no shorts before powering up the system.  I turned the system on, and nothing blew up, and the Omnitouch touchscreens are all up and running.  Bad news is the board is fixed, and they updated the firmware, but they reset the board to factory default.  Now I don't have any programming in the console, so none of the switches can be controlled by the touchscreen.  So I guess I'm basically at a point as if I just got my new home automation system installed, and I have to program everything.

I searched online, and it seems like I can program each switch from the touchscreen by naming the switch, put the switch into program mode by clicking it 5x, and then press config on the touch screen.  When I do this, the screen says it's "Starting", then "Finding Module", and then "No Module Found".  Obviously, I don't have everything setup to get this to work.  Your guidance in what I need to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BTW, the factory said two components were burnt, so they replaced those two, then tested the board.  Since it was a quick fix, they didn't charge me anything.  Happy about that.

Back