New Brultech Energy Monitoring Model (ECM-1240) due in 2009

Brultech homepage has links to a couple Fox News Carolina segments on the Brultech 1240. Very well done, I thought. Good for you, Brultech! I hope the exposure breaks the market open even more.

tenholde,

I have an ECM-1240 with maximum memory installed.

Are you doing anything with your software that takes advantage of the data logging capabilities of the ECM-1240?

In thinking of uses for the data logging capability, it would seem that a good use would be for the ECM-1240 software to be able to obtain data that might have been missed due to the application being off line for whatever reason. Perhaps when the application started it could retrieve any data that the ECM-1240 collected while the computer and/or application was down.

Any thoughts on this or on how difficult it would be to implemenent?

Thanks!
Brian

tenholde,

Are you doing anything with your software that takes advantage of the data logging capabilities of the ECM-1240?

In thinking of uses for the data logging capability, it would seem that a good use would be for the ECM-1240 software to be able to obtain data that might have been missed due to the application being off line for whatever reason. Perhaps when the application started it could retrieve any data that the ECM-1240 collected while the computer and/or application was down.

Thanks!
Brian

Brian,

Tenholde's Homeseer plug-in does this for me. I have had my HS application down and PC off for a day at times and any accumulated KWH were retieved and updated once HS was re-started.

I am not sure how much memory the 1240 has and how long it would retain the information though.

Will

tenholde,

Thanks!
Brian

Brian,

Tenholde's Homeseer plug-in does this for me. I have had my HS application down and PC off for a day at times and any accumulated KWH were retieved and updated once HS was re-started.

I am not sure how much memory the 1240 has and how long it would retain the information though.

Will

The current tenHsEcm12xx plugin does not currently use the stored ECM data -- I've been thinking about how I might use it.

The plugin tracks current energy use, and tracks total use for the month and the prior month. The reason it can continue to track monthly use while the server is down, is because the ECM sends accumulated numbers and the plugin saves the first readings of the month and the current or last for the month. As long as the software is running when the month rolls over, no monthly data will be lost.

Same is true for tenEcmDbLogger, except it records hourly data. You can take the server and logger down, but you must have them running when the hour rolls over or you will miss an hour.

tenholde

The current tenHsEcm12xx plugin does not currently use the stored ECM data -- I've been thinking about how I might use it.

The plugin tracks current energy use, and tracks total use for the month and the prior month. The reason it can continue to track monthly use while the server is down, is because the ECM sends accumulated numbers and the plugin saves the first readings of the month and the current or last for the month. As long as the software is running when the month rolls over, no monthly data will be lost.

Same is true for tenEcmDbLogger, except it records hourly data. You can take the server and logger down, but you must have them running when the hour rolls over or you will miss an hour.

tenholde
Ed, itf the server running DbLogger is not running at the top of an hour, is that accumulated data lost forever or applied to the next top of the hour update?

tenholde
Ed, itf the server running DbLogger is not running at the top of an hour, is that accumulated data lost forever or applied to the next top of the hour update?

tenEcmDbLogger records for each hour the number of seconds and the energy measures. It also records the start and end values for all of the accumulators. If the servers are down for one or more hourly changes, then some hours could not be recorded or recorded as partial.

It is on my list to develop a utility to scan the database for missing hours and fill them in as averages for the period that was skipped. That is: since the hourly records before and after the gap will have the accumulators, you could easily calculate the energy use per second for each measure for the gap, and from there fill in the missing measures (be it a part of an hour or multiple hours.)j.

tenholde

tenholde,

Thanks!
Brian

Brian,

Will

tenholde

tenholde,

I think I understand what you are saying about how you have things set up. And from your additional comments quoted below, I guess I still have a few questions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"
tenEcmDbLogger records for each hour the number of seconds and the energy measures. It also records the start and end values for all of the accumulators. If the servers are down for one or more hourly changes, then some hours could not be recorded or recorded as partial.

It is on my list to develop a utility to scan the database for missing hours and fill them in as averages for the period that was skipped. That is: since the hourly records before and after the gap will have the accumulators, you could easily calculate the energy use per second for each measure for the gap, and from there fill in the missing measures (be it a part of an hour or multiple hours.)j.

tenholde
"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would not the correct and accurate missing data be present and available on the ECM-1240?

Would it not be more accurate to get the missing data directly from the unit than to try to estimate what was missed?

I am trying to better understand the potential value of the data stored by the ECM-1240.

Am I missing something here about what would be available on the ECM-1240, or would updating the missing data from the ECM-1240 be a very difficult task?

I guess there would still be intervals lost if there were a power failure to the ECM-1240, although I suppose if the ECM-1240 was on a UPS then any power outages would be accurately reflected in the data as periods of time with zero energy used in the home.

Sorry about all the questions and rambling, I am just trying to get a better handle on things.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
Brian

tenholde,

Thanks!
Brian

Brian,

Will

tenholde

tenholde,

I think I understand what you are saying about how you have things set up. And from your additional comments quoted below, I guess I still have a few questions.

"

tenholde
"

Would not the correct and accurate missing data be present and available on the ECM-1240?

Would it not be more accurate to get the missing data directly from the unit than to try to estimate what was missed?

I am trying to better understand the potential value of the data stored by the ECM-1240.

Am I missing something here about what would be available on the ECM-1240, or would updating the missing data from the ECM-1240 be a very difficult task?

I guess there would still be intervals lost if there were a power failure to the ECM-1240, although I suppose if the ECM-1240 was on a UPS then any power outages would be accurately reflected in the data as periods of time with zero energy used in the home.

Sorry about all the questions and rambling, I am just trying to get a better handle on things.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
Brian

You are correct that it would be more accurate to obtain the missing data from the ECM, if it has the firmware and memory. That is on the list to investigate behind:

(1) Support for 2 ECMs in the HS plugin and the charting program
(2) Add cost calculations to the charting program
(3) Implement web server within the charting program to provide charts from any web browser
(4) Add xAP capability to tenEcmServer
(5) Easily configurable chart for HS plugin that can be displayed in HsTouch
Etc.

tenholde

tenholde,

Thanks!
Brian

Didn't know there was an extra memory option! If extra memory can be installed as a DIY, will the latest (or future) firmware upgrades allow its use for additional data storage?

What is the tenECM software written in? .NET? If so, would it be an easy port to Mono to run under linux/*BSD/OSX?

Looks like there is VB support in the Mono project, no idea how robust it is:

http://mono-project.com/Visual_Basic

I would assume that some of the functions are likely missing, which means manual reimplementation of them. But who knows, it may just compile and run fine with little modification.

tenholde,

Thanks!
Brian

Didn't know there was an extra memory option! If extra memory can be installed as a DIY, will the latest (or future) firmware upgrades allow its use for additional data storage?

Brian,

Every ECM-1240 has enough memory for 4,088 records. It is simply a matter of upgrading the firmware/IA software.

If you upgrade the firmware, try the auto method first. This is the one that sends the command instead of powering with the F keys down. If the F keys are used, dont hold them down for longer than 3 seconds.

Paul

tenholde,

Thanks!
Brian

Brian,

Every ECM-1240 has enough memory for 4,088 records. It is simply a matter of upgrading the firmware/IA software.

If you upgrade the firmware, try the auto method first. This is the one that sends the command instead of powering with the F keys down. If the F keys are used, dont hold them down for longer than 3 seconds.

Paul

Paul,

Where can I find the link with instructions to install the new firmware on my ECM-1240?

Will

Back