New Brultech Energy Monitoring Model (ECM-1240) due in 2009

Curiosity...

Can this meter "understand" negative power loads? That is...if I hook up a set of solar panels...or Wind Mill...will it understand the "negative" load that I am putting on it?

I was thinking about this, and since the power that is "grid-tied" would go through a branch...I would be able to predict how much of a savings I am getting by monitoring the output of the grid tied inverter.

It would help with quite a few metrics of the alternative power system.

--Dan

The data from the ECM-1240 (CH1 & CH2 only) provides enough information to determine:

Energy generated
Energy to & from the grid
Energy sold/returned to the grid
Total Energy consumed

Hope this helps.

Paul

Any further info on the correct way to hook up Net Metering on the 1240 using the MicroCTs (for Ch2) and what Type and Range to use???
I may need a documentation rewrite to something like "Net Metering for Dummies" on this one...help!!!

I just received my 1240, and in reading the directions, I'm a bit unclear on the proper polarity of the MicroCTs and connecting them to the AUX channels. Does it matter which wire is connected to the common connection, as long as they are both the same 'marked' wire? That is, if I have a MicroCT connected to AUX 1 and AUX 2, then I'd connect the black wires from the two CTs to the common connection between AUX 1 and 2? Or should it be the white wires???
Thanks,
Jesse

I just received my 1240, and in reading the directions, I'm a bit unclear on the proper polarity of the MicroCTs and connecting them to the AUX channels. Does it matter which wire is connected to the common connection, as long as they are both the same 'marked' wire? That is, if I have a MicroCT connected to AUX 1 and AUX 2, then I'd connect the black wires from the two CTs to the common connection between AUX 1 and 2? Or should it be the white wires???
Thanks,
Jesse
My read of the document is that it does not matter unless you are hooking more than one CT to the same AUX port.

tenholde

Thanks,
Jesse
My read of the document is that it does not matter unless you are hooking more than one CT to the same AUX port.

tenholde

The CT polarity matters if your power/energy calculations are signed. If you mount the CT on the primary wire the "wrong" way (or connect the secondary the wrong way), reading will be negative when it should be positive or vice versa. A transformer usually has markings of some kind to match secondary/primary coil current direction properly.

Polarity also matters when you connect two CTs in parallel to add their secondary currents. If you mount the CT the wrong way, the currents will be subtracted.

Also, see http://www.kilowattclassroom.com/Archive/TransfPol.pdf for polarity marking explanation.

Can anyone tell me the physical size of the SPLIT-200 current transformers?

I guess the diameter would be my primary concern. I have been installing a new loadcenter with a 200 amp main over the weekend and was hoping to put the CT's at the top of the circuit breaker just above where the wire lugs are.

I have a ECM-1240 on the way with SPLIT-200 current transformers but it has not yet arrived.

I was curious as to how large the CT's are, wanted to make sure I have plenty of room.

Thanks!
Brian

I guess the diameter would be my primary concern. I have been installing a new loadcenter with a 200 amp main over the weekend and was hoping to put the CT's at the top of the circuit breaker just above where the wire lugs are.

I have a ECM-1240 on the way with SPLIT-200 current transformers but it has not yet arrived.

I was curious as to how large the CT's are, wanted to make sure I have plenty of room.

Thanks!
Brian

Brian,

The 200A split CTs are 2 inch OD

Thanks!
Brian

I've attached some photos of the SPLIT-200 and the micro-CT. A buddy of mine had the very same question..

Attachments

• IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 39
I just finished hooking up my ECM-1240. I have CH 1 connected to my main panel and AUX 1 - 4 connected to various 120 volt breakers. Shouldn't the total watts for AUX 1-4 be less than the watts listed for ch1? See picture.

Regards,
Ultrajones

Attachments

• ECM.jpg
    ECM.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 69
I just finished hooking up my ECM-1240. I have CH 1 connected to my main panel and AUX 1 - 4 connected to various 120 volt breakers. Shouldn't the total watts for AUX 1-4 be less than the watts listed for ch1? See picture.

Regards,
Ultrajones

Is it possible that your CT settings are wrong? If you have the SPLIT CT in series and connected to the "Dual" terminal, then the CT setting need to be adjusted since the "Dual" channel reduces the signal by 1/2. This means that if you are using SPLIT-100 CTs your setting should change from 167/5 to 167/4. For the SPLIT-200 it need to be modified from 167/4 to 167/3.

Let me know if this was the issue.

Paul

Regards,
Ultrajones

Is it possible that your CT settings are wrong? If you have the SPLIT CT in series and connected to the "Dual" terminal, then the CT setting need to be adjusted since the "Dual" channel reduces the signal by 1/2. This means that if you are using SPLIT-100 CTs your setting should change from 167/5 to 167/4. For the SPLIT-200 it need to be modified from 167/4 to 167/3.

Paul
Hello Paul. Thanks for helping. No, that doesn't seem to have helped the issue. I have the SPLIT-100 CT's connected as described on the top of page 13 in the manual. I have the config for CH 1 set to SPLIT-100, dual CT.

Regards,
Ultrajones

Regards,
Ultrajones

Paul
Hello Paul. Thanks for helping. No, that doesn't seem to have helped the issue. I have the SPLIT-100 CT's connected as described on the top of page 13 in the manual. I have the config for CH 1 set to SPLIT-100, dual CT.

Regards,
Ultrajones

UJ,

Just a thought. Do you have more than one micro CT on one of those Aux channels?

I found my polarity off when I had more than one CT on a channel and it reported more than actual on the 1240. I used an amprobe to obtain actual current draw on the circuits to straighten out the CT polarity.

It was also helpful in checking the accuracy of all the other inputs as well if you have one.

Will

Regards,
Ultrajones

Paul

Regards,
Ultrajones

UJ,

Just a thought. Do you have more than one micro CT on one of those Aux channels?

I found my polarity off when I had more than one CT on a channel and it reported more than actual on the 1240. I used an amprobe to obtain actual current draw on the circuits to straighten out the CT polarity.

It was also helpful in checking the accuracy of all the other inputs as well if you have one.

Will
Hello Will. No, I only have one CT installed on each AUX channel. However, at this point, I only have AUX 1 connected until I sort out this issue.

Regards,
Ultrajones

Paul

Regards,
Ultrajones

UJ,

Will
Hello Will. No, I only have one CT installed on each AUX channel. However, at this point, I only have AUX 1 connected until I sort out this issue.

You can try eliminating one of the CH1 CTs at a time, for instance you can short the CT leads on one and observe the displayed power, then do the same to the other CT. If the sum of the two individual readings are not what you are currently reading then you may have the phasing wrong.

Another possiblility would be if the panel was fed from a 3-phase system (120V/208V), this would give strange results.

Paul

Back