New guy from North Central PA

SIMKO

I have been lurking for a little while now doing some research and figured it was time for me to make it official.

The wife and I just bought a new home and we are looking for a security / home automation system for it... Actually, I'm the one looking for it, she just rolls her eyes when I tell her all the cool stuff we'll be able to do when I'm done LOL

I don't have any experience with home security or automation, but I'm an electrical engineer, mess with computers as a hobby, and love DIY projects like this.

My research so far has got me leaning towards an ELK M1 system. Now I'm just trying to put together a shopping list to make sure I get what I want the first time.

My plan is to get the ELK M1 up and going with a few sensors and then start looking into a HA controller to interface with it.

I'm sure I'll ask some stupid questions over the next few months, but I'll try to keep them to a minimum by making good use of the search box.

Cheers!

- Steve

Steve, I believe there is an error in your thought process when you tell the wife about all the cool things you'll be able to do when done. She and you both will have to get used to the pure simple fact that this stuff is addictive and you will never be DONE!

But welcome anyway! ;)

Thanks. The wife has released some funds to be spent right after Christmas is over. :lol:

I'd like to get started by putting the ELK M1 in place along with a handful of sensors and get the whole thing debugged and working as well as become familiar with the interface. Then slowly add things to the system. I'm already coming up with automation ideas and I don't even have the stuff ordered yet.

My biggest issue is that I like the reliability of wired sensors, but our house is a log home and does not lend itself to wiring on the exterior walls. Anything on the exterior doors and windows is going to have to be wireless. Any sensors that I install on the interior walls will be hard-wired back to the panel.

I am really excited about this project, time to add more things to the shopping list. B)

Back