New house, prewired, suggestions on patch panels for cat6 and rg6 in equipment closet

cjpoole1

I'm in the process of building a new house and have been studying this forum as well AVS forum for a few months. I've prewired with multiple cat6's to almost every wall in the house as well as multiple rg6,cat6,and conduit to every tv location. Alarm prewire,whole home audio prewire, and POE camera prewire all to an equipment closet in basement. My question is what is my best route for terminating all the cat6 and rg6 for distribution later?

Personally, I prefer to do all of my terminating in structured media enclosures, such as the ones from Leviton:
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=37730&minisite=10251

For example:
index.php

index.php

I don't really need the panel because I've dedicated a closet for all the equipment. I'm more interested in the actual distribution/termination modules that mount in the panel

Depends, in part, on how many cables you have to terminate and your budget.

I have, in the past, used wall mount racks.

Here is a selection:

http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/main.htm

Here is a low cost model:

http://www.middleatlantic.com/dcm/wall/hpm.htm

For patch panels I use Leviton:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=38098&minisite=10251

You can use "110 style" panels which come with jacks installed and you punch them down from the back.

There is also the "quick port" style where you punch down each cable to a jack. Then you snap the jack into a hole in the panel.

Yup; here used Leviton for the 42" Leviton can and standard outside of the can on Plywood.  In another home used a small closet and just two autonomous stacked cans almost from ceiling height to a bit above the floor.  Everything is in the cans except for a wireless AP.

I have seen a residential Control4 setup with everything in a movable closed rack with the cables kind of flopping to the wall in a utility room.

In one commercial set up (girls dormitory - school combo building) with a small closet it was an open rack floor to ceiling sort of in the middle back of the room with cabling et al running on ceiling height trays.  Nothing else really and nothing on any of the walls. Very easy to get to everything.  Everything was mounted on the open rack with the UPS rack mounted on the bottom.

Helped a friend with his new construction LV wiring stuff a couple of years back.  Everything went to a sort of large "closet" like section in his unfinished basement; which was a bump out in the cement under the side entrance of the main house.  We used a Leviton 42" panel there.  I did the HV electric and only connected some of the network to the inside of the can Leviton patch panel and the satellite cables.  Rest remained bundled and over to the side of the outside of the panel.  Its still like this.  Think its been some 3 years now.

Those wall mounted relay racks are kinda standard issue for small offices; I even have a few floating around in my garage.  WIth a dedicated room, they're a clean way to go.  If you have a lot of that type of stuff, the next step up is a full a-frame or relay rack - just a 2 post rack since that's what works best for network equipment and patch panels.  A step up from that would be the MiniRaQ - I love it because it lets you position your switch right by the patch panel to keep things easy.

With plywood on the wall, you can use some D Rings to route cables and secure the wires.

For coax, you can also get the patch panels like this and mount them on a wall rack and route to a multiswitch or whatever you're distributing.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like wall mounted racks on plywood is the route I'm going. Any suggestions on rack mountable network switches?

cjpoole1 said:
Thanks for the replies. Looks like wall mounted racks on plywood is the route I'm going. Any suggestions on rack mountable network switches?

I used a wire closet shelf at the bottom of my back board for my consumer grade components such as modem, router, and switches.  Any 19" components go on the free standing rack to the right.

Attachments

• Backboard.jpg
    Backboard.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 76
Photon said:
I used a wire closet shelf at the bottom of my back board for my consumer grade components such as modem, router, and switches.  Any 19" components go on the free standing rack to the right.

Looks great.  Can you also take a pic of the rack to the right?

Pete - I thought of you the other day when I was installing some cameras along with TPLink 8-port POE (well 4 POE ports out of 8) switches to drive some cameras.  It was for a non-profit organization to which the cams and switches were donated for a particular project so I was just repurposing them.

For day to day, Netgear is my go-to, but I must say, these switches that were about the price of a single POE injector worked very well - I'm sure I'll be buying a bunch more.

Yup; here tested similar TP-Link 8 port POE switch for the home stuff (well and also purchased other ones). 

Settled on a managed Tycon mid stream 24 port injector.  These are 19" rack sized though.

For the little Atom based touch tablets have moved from using the Tycon POE power splitters (5VDC POE injector) to TP-Link these days.

Yup; once you go to the standard 19" mounted switches; your choices / monies are endless. 

Probably want to look for something efficient and quiet and manageable and fitting within a budget.

Here came from always (never different) Cisco switch environment in the commercial world (since the late 1990's);  to home stuff being everything; (including Cisco); trying this and that. 

The "home" environment has changed a bit over the years relating to number of networking devices; et al type stuff. 

Many rack mount switches let you turn the brackets 90-degrees so they become wall-mount brackets - this lets you securely attach them to the plywood backboard and often provides a little bit of space off the wall for airflow.

Another solution that I've used in some wiring closets is something like this: http://www.rackmountsolutions.net/Wallmount_Rack_V_Series.asp - It lets you hang a rack-mount switch with the ports facing up so it's not that deep - of course you should be mindful about not letting things fall in the holes, but I've used them even in nasty environments without consequence on my switches.

I've said this in a few places today, but I still tend to fall back to the Netgear Prosafe Plus switches - they're not as complex as a fully managed switch with CLI, but they are quite flexible. Today you can just use it like a dumb switch, then tomorrow you could turn on VLANS and QOS right off the GUI when you have a need. Plus they're generally compact and quiet.

Back