New router

jwilson56

I have just switched over to a Linksys WRT54G router flashed with the lastest Tomato firmware. I have to say I am quite pleased with its performance. My download rates have more than doubled and my in game pings seem to be lower as well. I was using a DD-WRT based router that must have had some issues with the version I was using.

I have QOS setup for my Voip service and everything is working well. It has a nice friendly user interface.

Check it out if you want something more than a stock router.

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

I am still running tomato 1.15 without any problems and have been for a while now also. My up time numbers are always very high. It's a good choice.

I'll have to try Tomato on on a Linksys or Buffalo router I have. Currently except for one just running them as AP's with DD-WRT. The ability to utilize an alternate OS opens up a number of features. I have the one set up in FL with SSH tunneling. Doing this is easier than opening up separate ports for different devices. Just wrote a short blog on updating the Asus WL 330gE small little "traveling" router with DD-WRT OS. Its only got one ethernet port so you have to set the GUI for its functions (bridge, AP, FW, client, etc) but it does work. Noticed while traveling after Christmas that the places we stopped at use public wi-fi. Having the router's wireless AP act as the WAN port client and still provide AP / FW is great. Note that the router does do this out of the box; DD-WRT/Tomato just adds more features and more control. (and SSH, FTP,Telnet)

I have the one set up in FL with SSH tunneling. Doing this is easier than opening up separate ports for different devices.

this is one of the main reasons i run tomato. last week, we took the kids to disneyland for spring break, and i was able to ssh to the router and tunnel a remote desktop session to my HA server using my htc touch pro (hacked to run winmo 6.5.5). all this while standing in line for a ride B)

WDS and WLan bridging work well also. I did a test with the neighbors across the street with a WLAN bridge/FW/QOS setup. It worked well.

AP WLAN (my home) = = > AP ==> WLAN (WAN) = = > QOS = = > FW = = > WLAN (neighbors home).

No real physical HW problems in the last 6 years or so with both Linksys WRT-54GL / Buffalo WRT-HP-g54.

Initially bricked about 2 WRT-54G's (2 meg flash memory) and never JTagged them. I had one Buffalo WRT-HP-g54 burn up due to a power injector failure. No other problems. I've updated about 4 of the neighbors WRT-54GL's about 5 years ago and they are all running fine as router/AP/FW's.

For a while back a couple of years ago the Buffalo WRT-HP-g54 routers had lost their FCC approval and therefore you couldn't purchase them in the US and had to purchase them overseas or from Canada.

I've read the ultimate device is a bare WLAN board Linux board with two mini-PCI slots for dual radios. Many folks have also switched to using WLAN A versus G. Not all of the wireless laptop radios support A though. The newest OS also allow for N use.

WDS and WLan bridging work well also. I did a test with the neighbors across the street with a WLAN bridge/FW/QOS setup. It worked well.

AP WLAN (my home) = = > AP ==> WLAN (WAN) = = > QOS = = > FW = = > WLAN (neighbors home).

No real physical HW problems in the last 6 years or so with both Linksys WRT-54GL / Buffalo WRT-HP-g54.

Initially bricked about 2 WRT-54G's (2 meg flash memory) and never JTagged them. I had one Buffalo WRT-HP-g54 burn up due to a power injector failure. No other problems. I've updated about 4 of the neighbors WRT-54GL's about 5 years ago and they are all running fine as router/AP/FW's.

For a while back a couple of years ago the Buffalo WRT-HP-g54 routers had lost their FCC approval and therefore you couldn't purchase them in the US and had to purchase them overseas or from Canada.

I've read the ultimate device is a bare WLAN board Linux board with two mini-PCI slots for dual radios. Many folks have also switched to using WLAN A versus G. Not all of the wireless laptop radios support A though. The newest OS also allow for N use.

thanks, will try this

I have the one set up in FL with SSH tunneling. Doing this is easier than opening up separate ports for different devices. Just wrote a short blog on updating the Asus WL 330gE small little "traveling" router with DD-WRT OS.

Is ther a quick and dirty way to do this?

Maybe a guide for us linux lacking windows people?

I guess I could check the Tomato site of the Linksys forums...

Is ther a quick and dirty way to do this?

Maybe a guide for us linux lacking windows people?

I guess I could check the Tomato site of the Linksys forums...
I can help you and even provide guides for how to get you going for the client end. But, you mention Tomato so I can't help you there. It should be quick and easy to enable it though; takes 2 secs. in DD-WRT. I have mine on a custom port and authenticating with a private key and password combo.

Let me know what exactly you want to do.

I can help you and even provide guides for how to get you going for the client end. But, you mention Tomato so I can't help you there. It should be quick and easy to enable it though; takes 2 secs. in DD-WRT. I have mine on a custom port and authenticating with a private key and password combo.

Let me know what exactly you want to do.

I appreciate the offer and might take you up on this one. I am currently looking in to some browser based SSL routers and /or configurations on the WRT that might get me there. I'll keep you posted.

What is nice is that you can configure each of these with SSH for SSH tunneling. I do that today both the the DD-WRT and Smoothwall setups.

Hi, Pete and Video.

I use DD-WRT, but confess I've never looked into setting up SSH or VPN on it. I should do it. Do you guys have a link for a good tutorial on it?

Thanks,
Kevin

Back