New router

Hi, Pete and Video.

I use DD-WRT, but confess I've never looked into setting up SSH or VPN on it. I should do it. Do you guys have a link for a good tutorial on it?

Thanks,
Kevin
I have to go to a client for after hours work in a few minutes, but as soon as I can I'll post some docs for you.

edited for new SSH tutorial

So you know...you can also look into VPN. However, a client is needed and OpenVPN isn't available for all devices. The other option is setting up a SSL VPN, which DD-WRT doesn't support but other routers (starting around $150) do.

BTW move the mouse when you are creating the crypto key with the putty crypto key gen program.

I forgot to the first time and wondered what was taking so long.

Awesome, Video! This tutorial and the info Pete posted will be a big help to me and other Cocooners in securing our routers much better than the port forwarding I currently use.

Big thanks!

Kevin

Kevin,

If you want to play a bit with FW's in general you can download Smoothwall for free and use it just about on any old pc laying around with 2 NIC's.

Its totally configurable via a web browser and its very flexible.

Kevin,

If you want to play a bit with FW's in general you can download Smoothwall for free and use it just about on any old pc laying around with 2 NIC's.

Its totally configurable via a web browser and its very flexible.

Thanks, Pete.

I did have two NICs in my SBS 2003 server at home, but couldn't figure out (make that too lazy) how to reach on net from the other when accessing from outside. Does Smoothwall handle that?

Kevin

The Smoothwall install ISO handles two or three NICs. Its very flexible and a plug n play install.

Back