Newbie ELK wiring problem

eded9698

Here's what I have.

1)Elk M1, with open zones
2)2 Amseco ODC-59B garage door contacts
3)2 ELK-924 Elk Sensitive Relays

I'm trying to wire this to the ELK-M1 and to the garage door trigger switches. Either at at schedule time and/or when the system is armed, the ELK will close the garage doors if opened, if not do nothing.

My program is what gets wired to what and where.

Thanks

There are some more detailed posts about this (and a complete generic how-to by BSR), but in a nutshell:

Connect your Amseco contacts to input zones, just like any other door or window contact.
Trigger the relay with an Elk Output and wire the relay closure across your garage door opener terminals. You can do this either at the pushbutton or head unit.
Write rules to do what you want... To open or close the door, simply turn on the output that controls the relay for 2-3 seconds.

The spec on the 59B contacts say it has normally open and normally closed contacts. I recommend using the normally closed contacts. That way you know that you have a good circuit all the way to the switch. Program the zone definition for normally closed (NC) hardware input zone.

Program the zone type as a 16= Non Alarm.

Program a Task:
Whenever Task 1 is activated
Then Turn On Garage Door (Output X) For 2 seconds //This output connects across the garage door push button

Whenever Time is 11:30 PM
And Garage Door Zone X Is Not Secure
Then Activate Task 1

Whenever Function Key 5 is pressed
Then Activate Task 1.

You will be able to access Task 1 from the telephone remote control also to control the door.

Note: The Rules above are general wording, not exactly how they will appear, but you can get the idea.

I'm having a problem with connecting the relay to the ELK and garage door switch. When I short the wires the garage doors open and close, but nothing happens when the rule runs

Which wires did you short, the 2 coming from the relay to the switch? If that worked and the relay does close, then it should work.

I've got it working. One of the wires going to the switch was touching a drywall screw.

Thanks for your help guys.

Back